Skip to main content
Answered

random muting on my system

My entire system mutes randomly and without touching any buttons, The voice Assistance not activated and that's not what appears to be causing it. Are there any solutions? I have updated my system. 

215 replies

Userlevel 1

Mine do it in the middle of the night when everything is off. Annoying because the green LEDs wake me up.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just turned on my main TV.

Oh guess what.

Beam, Sub and Ones used as rears all in mute with volume set at zero.  TV normally triggers volume via HDMI Arc. No amount of prodding the Panasonic remote would produce any sound?

Launched App, which promptly told me my system did not exist...Grrrr

Power reset resumed service.

Strangely I was logged out of this forum as well.

Cmon Sonos if you can monitor my system/account…

Sort this PoS out please

Userlevel 1

same issue, happens multiple times a day on a 10 speaker system. super annoying.

whats the rationale of releasing broken software and then continuing to break it further after years of it working well enough for everyone? hope the damage to reputation was worth it

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just turned on my main TV.

Oh guess what.

Beam, Sub and Ones used as rears all in mute with volume set at zero.  TV normally triggers volume via HDMI Arc. No amount of prodding the Panasonic remote would produce any sound?

Launched App, which promptly told me my system did not exist...Grrrr

Power reset resumed service.

Strangely I was logged out of this forum as well.

Cmon Sonos if you can monitor my system/account…

Sort this PoS out please

In less than an hour. Exactly the same.

All green and muted.

Hard reset. The only way to resolve.

PoS

Userlevel 1
Badge

Two weeks of this now Sonos, can we get an update when the fix will roll out?? 

Badge

I "fixed" it by turning off automatic updates in the app. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Managed to find the original 16.1-780151031.apk on my computer.

Transferred 16.1-780151031.apk to phones SD card.

Uninstalled the abomination app

Rebooted phone.

Turned off the following: Auto updates in Play. WiFi. Mobile Data. Auto Blocker in Android.

Rebooted phone.

Installed old app.

Turned on Auto Blocker in Android.

Rebooted phone.

ALL WORKING ON OLD APP

HEAVEN

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I've had those off ever since the initial update that started all this mess. Still getting the mutes green lights. Just wait.....

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I've had those off ever since the initial update that started all this mess. Still getting the mutes green lights. Just wait.....

Are you running old or new app?

Im back on old…… so everything is back at present!

Rebooted phone.

Turned off the following: Auto updates in Play. WiFi. Mobile Data. Auto Blocker in Android.

Rebooted phone.

Installed old app.

Rebooted phone.

ALL WORKING ON OLD APP

HEAVEN

THANKS! Worked for me as well.

You can get old version following this user: 

Pretty sad when Sonos users have to fix Sonos issues, new app is buggy as hell.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Rebooted phone.

Rebooted phone.

Installed old app.

Rebooted phone.

ALL WORKING ON OLD APP

HEAVEN

Think Softronic / Sonos have pulled the 16.1 App in the link above.

Seems it seems now it sends you to the “BugFest v80” now

EDIT:

Further down the post is one of the original 16.1 versions

https://en.softonic.com/download/sonos/android/post-download/v/16.1

Same issue. Sonos beam and sonos amp randomly muting themselves while watching TV. I'm not sure the sonos app or anything. 

Also, my other speaks sonos one, all have the green light (muted) every morning. So they muted overnight. 

Rebooted phone.

Rebooted phone.

Installed old app.

Rebooted phone.

ALL WORKING ON OLD APP

HEAVEN

EDIT:

Still having issues with version 16.1

Did you have to reset the speakers or do anything else?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Rebooted phone.

Rebooted phone.

Installed old app.

Rebooted phone.

ALL WORKING ON OLD APP

HEAVEN

EDIT:

Still having issues with version 16.1

Did you have to reset the speakers or do anything else?

Mines been stable without issue for the last six hours, apart from going back to 16.1, I have done nothing else.

TBH if issues persist, then it cannot be the app. I would then suspect the firmware O/S that has been uploaded to each individual Sonos component.

All my units are running on build 16.2 (79154060).

As a process of elimination, I would next try turning off any device loaded with the Sonos app.

Sonos has direct access to your devices, the corruption / data could be coming from them?

If problems persist with no app running within your Sonos sub network, then the problem must be manifesting itself externally

All mine are also running on build 16.2 (79154060).

When you mean 'turning off any device loaded with the Sonos app'. You have to restart the phone and not just uninstall?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

When you mean 'turning off any device loaded with the Sonos app'. You have to restart the phone and not just uninstall?

Yes, if the phone is turned off, then the app can not be running and sending any commands.

If it still happens with the app and phone off, commands are coming from outside of your Sonos subnet (more than likely from a Sonos server)

I will try mine tonight, forcibly turn off the app within settings, and turn off phone for the night.

If I get the green mute, will let you know.

This is happening for me too.

Even during playback it can just randomly mute 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Again sound muted on my Arc 

Diagnostic submitted ***************

Sort this mess out!!!!!!! 

Moderator edit: Diagnostic number recorded and removed

Been happening to me too, over a week since I noticed it and only just found this thread. This needs to be shared and publicised widely. Sonos need to be shamed into fixing it. Reputation should be taking a hit. 

It happens to my speakers randomly and at random times of day. Worst is the one in the nursery that plays white noise because when it randomly goes silent in the night the baby wakes up.

Sonos get this sorted out. It's ridiculous to have multiple "premium" speakers that cost hundreds of £ become such entry level garbage overnight. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Been happening to me too, over a week since I noticed it and only just found this thread. This needs to be shared and publicised widely. Sonos need to be shamed into fixing it. Reputation should be taking a hit. 

It happens to my speakers randomly and at random times of day. Worst is the one in the nursery that plays white noise because when it randomly goes silent in the night the baby wakes up.

Sonos get this sorted out. It's ridiculous to have multiple "premium" speakers that cost hundreds of £ become such entry level garbage overnight. 

Take a look at this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/05/17/sonos-new-app-update-problems/

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

And again.... I spent thousands to enjoy movies / music and the sound is muting.

I am really annoyed.... 

This is a joke

F*** you sonos

Take a look at this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/05/17/sonos-new-app-update-problems/

I'm in UK and hadn't seen this. Not seen anything about it over here. And when I Google terms such as "sonos randomly muting" or "sonos volume zero" (I searched for others) it brings up sonos community posts from 2017 or 2018. This main post was way down the list as a related link.

Anyway, it needs to be more public. Like when Iphones are missing basic android features and it's written everywhere. Sonos is supposed to be premium. It's a joke that they say this was to make their app faster, when the app is now slower and most of the time it says I don't have any sonos products! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Take a look at this

I'm in UK and hadn't seen this. Not seen anything about it over here. And when I Google terms such as "sonos randomly muting" or "sonos volume zero" (I searched for others) it brings up sonos community posts from 2017 or 2018. This main post was way down the list as a related link.

Anyway, it needs to be more public. Like when Iphones are missing basic android features and it's written everywhere. Sonos is supposed to be premium. It's a joke that they say this was to make their app faster, when the app is now slower and most of the time it says I don't have any sonos products! 

Im in the UK as well.

TBH this is the only media coverage (above link) I could find.

Seems Sonos are doing a pretty good job at masking the issues

Yes, if the phone is turned off, then the app can not be running and sending any commands.

If it still happens with the app and phone off, commands are coming from outside of your Sonos subnet (more than likely from a Sonos server)

I will try mine tonight, forcibly turn off the app within settings, and turn off phone for the night.

Thanks! I restarted my phone which is the only device with the Sonos App and it seems stable atm. I skipped the restart part previously since I thought uninstalling the new Sonos App and reinstalling 16.1 would be enough…

I’m signed into my Sonos account on 16.1, did this cause issues for you?

Sonos server? Apart from blocking the auto updating, did you have to block anything else?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks! I restarted my phone which is the only device with the Sonos App and it seems stable atm. I skipped the restart part previously since I thought uninstalling the new Sonos App and reinstalling 16.1 would be enough…

I’m signed into my Sonos account on 16.1, did this cause issues for you?

Sonos server? Apart from blocking the auto updating, did you have to block anything else?

Last night turned off the app within settings on my android a33 5g phone. Then turned off phone for the night. Can report no "green mutes" experienced during the night / morning.

Just turned the phone back on, and the build 16.1 app is running.

Will monitor system today, and tonight will leave phone and app running to see what happens.

Will let you know?