Skip to main content

We own two Play:1 units (paired) and one Play:5 (1st gen) and have had them for over 10 years; through either TuneIn or myRadio Tuner we have been able to play our favourite radio station CKUA (from Edmonton Canada). We use the Sonos 2 App for the Play:1 speakers and the Sonos 1 App for the older Play:5 unit, and they have worked flawlessly until this past update (May 2024) version 80.01.08 for Sonos 2. The station is listed under a myTuner Radio search, but just will not play. We have had issues trying other stations as well. I do not know what the "update" contained, but it has completely ruined our listening pleasure and made our speakers virtually useless to us! 

Same here. I’m furious. The “new” TuneIn app as a service to Sonos seems to require an updated Sonos app, which has significant problems compared to the prior Version 16.  I’m keeping the older Sonos app on my main phone for now until Sonos fixes the new app, but I’m not holding my breath.

However, this new TuneIn app has degraded the entire experience. I have another phone with the new Sonos app and TuneIn no longer keeps most of my favorite stations.  Since MyTuner doesn’t have the ability to keep a library of favorites, and most of the time MyTuner stations get  the “cannot add this station to Sonos” error message,  TuneIn was the only option, and now it is no longer working as it was.

Has anyone found a fix?

The latest app update (yesterday) inexplicably added TuneIn back into my list of services (I removed it years ago), and added a Heart radio station into my Recently Added (a radio station I had used on TuneIn previously). 

Quite why Sonos reinstated TuneIn and this radio station in my app is unclear - what old data have they been referring to? But it only appeared yesterday, so presumably the latest update has some TuneIn aspects to it (and perhaps also some MyTuner aspects which has affected some of these stations for some people). 

It feels like they are fixing with one hand and wrecking with the other. (But I do sympathise that it must be a nightmare for their developers right now, particularly as we don’t really know where fault lies up the chain of command.)

I’m using the older Sonos app since it works better for me than the new one.  Things were going fine on that app until yesterday, when I opened the TuneIn (“New”) app listed as one of my Sonos services.  Instead of getting my usual saved favorites, I got an error message.  “Your TuneIn (New) account needs to be reauthorized, but one or more of your Sonos products needs to be updated first.”  

I went ahead and reauthorized the TuneIn account on my phone with the new Sonos app, but most of my saved TuneIn stations disappeared on that phone.

Looking for a workaround if anyone has one!

I am also looking to play CKUA radio network on my Sonos but it is not on the list.

Not fond of the new Sonos App and really dislike the new Tune-In.

Terry

I am also looking to play CKUA radio network on my Sonos but it is not on the list.

Not fond of the new Sonos App and really dislike the new Tune-In.

Terry

When I search CKUA in the desktop app it is found in Sonos Radio.

Here is what we received from the TuneIn rep:

“I have heard back from the team looking into this and based on the information provided and many checks made, the station CKUA is geo-restricted to Canada only. As for the BBC 6 Music Radio, effective September 30th, 2019, BBC streams domestically in the United Kingdom are no longer available on TuneIn with the exception of select third-party devices and platforms. BBC podcasts are not however affected by this change. When the BBC makes its stations available on platforms such as ours, it asks that we have the listener sign into a BBC account to listen or for us to share data directly with them about what you listen to. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate these requests at this time. Despite these changes in the UK, we remain committed to providing our listeners around the world the best listening experience possible and continue to value our partnership with the BBC. ”

The problem with above is that CKUA is NOT restricted to the region of Canada - it is a truly Internet radio station, and while it can still be heard via antenna in the province of Alberta, it has taken to the Internet and now has a world-wide audience particularly because it is listener sponsored radio (it has a fund drive every 6 mos), and we are donors.  So I can hear it through their CKUA App anywhere in the world, so why is Sonos and TuneIn “policing” this station?  As for BBC 6, right now we are living in the UK and we cannot hear it through TuneIn, BUT if I go to Canada (and possible the USA), I can hear BBC 6 through TuneIn, plus we can hear CKUA - sorry the storyline above just does not add up.

We have not heard from myTuner Radio, which is the radio service that Sonos also uses, as to why we can no longer hear CKUA via their service on our Sonos speakers since the May update.  We can only listen to BBC 6 through myTuner IF we search for the station and then select it in the UK, but if we make it a Favourite, and then try to select it (or even select under Recently Played) we consistently get an error “Something went wrong” - it has worked for over 3.5 years, and now does not!

Quick update - there was another Sonos update within the past week, but we were away from home so unable to check it.  For us, myTuner Radio will now play BBC 6 Music Radio from our Favourites (Or Recently Played) list without having to search for it each time; however, CKUA is still not playing, and we get the “Something went wrong.” message.

S2 blew me out of the water. I left home for holiday and dealt with the debacle when I got back. Now that Sonos relabeled S2 (or upgraded S2) and renamed it Sonos, their documentation fails to clearly tell you if you’re reading documentation for the old Sonos app or the new one. For many years, I had listened to NRK Jazz on my old S1 system. Now, I can no longer listen to the “geo-restricted” stream. But I can play its stream on my mobile devices and my PC. So much for geo-restriction, that is, if that’s the problem. Why doesn’t Sonos just provide a browser on its app or some similar facility for playing URL’s, rather than fleece me?