Skip to main content
Question

problems with new Sonos app

The new Sonas app is awful. It typically will not connect to music even when the music is playing, hence I cannot switch the music of,

but worst problem is trying to control the volumes of the various sonas speakers. Even when I adjust the volume in the app it mysteriously changes itself back to the other setting.

trying to adjust volumes is almost impossible and VERY VERY frustrating.

fthis app should not have been released in such a dismal and poor state. It really damages Sonas reputation and brand.

when will these problems be fixed..?

373 replies

Same issue reported here. Also, why can’t we mute individual speakers anymore?! And where is sleep now??? Major misses with this release. For a brand so good at maintaining quality control and image, this release is what I’d expect from speakers not this expensive and proprietary. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Dear Sonos Team,

it pains me to read all the comments and complains your loyal customers are sharing with you. Not just in this community but in social media worldwide. The web is full of it. My previous company and I personally were one of the early supporters and financiers of your company and products and accompanied your growth and success. At home we have replaced all old passive speakers with your equipment and were always pleased by the sound and the ease of use. We have actively promoted your brand to family and friends over the years and most followed the advice. Since the release of your latest App, this has now backfired badly. 

I do not want to repeat and list all the deficiencies this App has, the other comments list only a few. I may add that we have digitized hundreds of thousands of songs from records and CDs in an iTunes library on our Mac, which we now cannot access anymore, never mind being able to steer it from a mobile. So in short, your system has become useless.

Please recall this App version immediately, re-release the old one and go back to the drawing board to reprogram it…and please! do a proper testing cycle (6 sigma standard) before you release a new version!!!

Meanwhile I will try to appease my friends and wife to not throw out the equipment and revert to alternative brands or old passive speakers.

Your still loyal supporter and customer…for now!

Well stated. I have spent thousands on Sonos. I have warned people who were interested to not purchase a system at this point. I resorted to another music system this Memorial Day weekend. Other than one communication, as complaints continue to pour in Sonos leadership has been MIA and their system is useless. 

Userlevel 1

Please fix these software issues. I am ready to switch to something else if this isn’t fixed soon. 

I'm going back to the old 'gold' app . The new 'black' one is useless . Every time I try to connect I get the same message 'No System Found' , so I have to turn wifi and app off and then reconnect again,  after 3 attempts it normally works . But I had no issues with the older app. 

Userlevel 1

How can you go back to the previous version? Is it still available in the App Store?

I detest this app ‘upgrade’ to the point of considering changing away from Sonos. Like others I am not particularly interested in the app looking pretty. I just want the basic ability it used to have to select and play music. As it is, I am not easily able to do this.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I read a few comments about switching back to previous version of the app. Please help me on this topic. I’ve tried this and after a few hours spread over three days I started to

think I’m doing something wrong. 
I have iPhone and downloaded the Sonos 1 app and attempted to the mind boggling set up of the system as new. Failed miserably. -Is it the iPhone thing? Would it be possible to set it up through windows laptop? 
Eventually I’ve downloaded Sonos new app again, can only play one radio station at the sound volume the speakers decide to choose (I don’t feel that I have anything to say on this anymore) and Spotify music (at least one positive). 
im stuck at home with a broken leg and radio is my main entertainment however now my new Hobby is fuming and creating new swear words to throw at my speakers… This is not the life I want to live. Please someone save my sanity! 

The new Sonos app is totally rubbish! Don’t Sonos test these things out before releasing them to their customers? 

Can we have the old app back please?

I don’t understand how we are forced to “upgrade” to a downgrade. App is terrible, been dealing with volume issues, speakers showing they are playing while they’re not. I have a small party next week and don’t know what to do. Before I got on to this group, I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it thinking it was me. Shocked that Sonos killed us and is doing nothing about it, new app has been out for weeks and no communication about a solution, roll it back, give us the old app until you figure it out!

Everyone struggling clearly, I can’t control anything with app. Renders it useless.

so the question is are they going to bring old one back while they work on new one or try to work out bugs? Any word from Sonos or tech support at all?

The new app is total rubbish. I’m so disappointed in every way. Sonos fix it now ! 

The worst parti is the lack of communication from SONOS.   Do we scrap our expensive systems and start a new one with another compay?  An update or even an acknowledgment would be nice.  I started my system 12 years ago… I guess it has run it’s course and is going the way of the Bose sound dock.  RIP SONOS 💀

Userlevel 3

Sure.  

If you were really a user and not a representative, in some way, you would be agreeing with everyone. I have over 22 Sonos products in my system. I have been trying to play one song in one zone this morning alone…nothing yet. It was an instant problem with the new app. Everything is on the same WiFi, my speed test is over 600 jitter is 1, and every other WiFi product in the house is working fine. The second I downloaded the app, all the problems started. There is nothing to defend. There is just a problem to solve. 

Userlevel 1

I read a few comments about switching back to previous version of the app. Please help me on this topic. I’ve tried this and after a few hours spread over three days I started to

I have iPhone and downloaded the Sonos 1 app and attempted to the mind boggling set up of the system as new. Failed miserably. -Is it the iPhone thing? Would it be possible to set it up through windows laptop? 
Eventually I’ve downloaded Sonos new app again, can only play one radio station at the sound volume the speakers decide to choose (I don’t feel that I have anything to say on this anymore) and Spotify music (at least one positive). 
im stuck at home with a broken leg and radio is my main entertainment however now my new Hobby is fuming and creating new swear words to throw at my speakers… This is not the life I want to live. Please someone save my sanity! 

Hi, unfortunately, unless your iPhone is jailbroken, I am not sure you can downgrade in iPhone 

On android, you would have to uninstall the app and to download the app with the correct version from apkmirror or some other site like this..

I think your only way to get decent  functioning is the windows or Mac os app

Good luck.

Userlevel 1

How can you go back to the previous version? Is it still available in the App Store?

Can't do in Apple I believe. Only Android. For this you'll have to thanks apple and it's way of thinking 😘

Sorry dude 

Agreed - it seems to have a complete mind of its own. Says it’s playing something on one speaker but it’s not, can’t get to the other grouped speakers with what is actually playing. Can’t seem to get any control of what is and what is not playing, adjust volumes 

Been on Sonos from very early days, loved it but this new version of the app, with all it promised, is awful. If I can’t control my music, which speaker is playing (out of over 10 speakers) and what the volume is, what’s the point of Sonos. 
please fix asap

Same issue.  We can’t control the speakers.  They reset on their own.  Sonos, this is terrible.  How do you miss basic functionality like this.  It renders the system useless.  Pathetic.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi, unfortunately, unless your iPhone is jailbroken, I am not sure you can downgrade in iPhone 

On android, you would have to uninstall the app and to download the app with the correct version from apkmirror or some other site like this..

I think your only way to get decent  functioning is the windows or Mac os app

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I have tried downgrade with iPhone with no joy. It looks tricky in Windows too now. I will try again tomorrow with a fresh dose of patience. 

Userlevel 1

Check Sonophone.

Userlevel 3

Thx

Userlevel 3

How about for starters try and fix the bug where the app crashes when you click on the <Sonos home link?

Then try and address the hopeless latency when the app loads up and also when you click on any functionality?

it won’t make it useable but it’s a start!

Userlevel 2

Agreed with all the comments above. The new app has numerous bugs in it. It drops music and then re-plays it from the beginning. It drops a zone and adds it all own if at all, etc etc  

SONOS team this is not a graphic or navigation thing… you have underlying (under the hood)  reliability issues of delivery music to your devices now. 

The new Sonas app is awful. It typically will not connect to music even when the music is playing, hence I cannot switch the music of,

but worst problem is trying to control the volumes of the various sonas speakers. Even when I adjust the volume in the app it mysteriously changes itself back to the other setting.

trying to adjust volumes is almost impossible and VERY VERY frustrating.

fthis app should not have been released in such a dismal and poor state. It really damages Sonas reputation and brand.

when will these problems be fixed..?

I have the same issues the new app update is absolutely Rubbish and has ruined My Sonos system how they have put there premium name to it is beyond me 

Has rendered my system useless have been a loyal customer and supporter for years and have headphone on order stupid mistake chucking my money away as it appears I have done with the speakers 

Sonos and there CEO need to listen to there customers and get this sorted or Sadly premium brand will cascade to Rubbish brand 

your competitors must be laughing all the way to the bank 

was this an exercise in seeing how many customers we can loose 

Is so garbage I’m  going to have to listen to my music on my trusty beats headphones until you sort it

don’t think I’ll unbox yours ( Pre paid and ordered prior to your Rubbish update ) Until you do 

Extremely disappointed frustrated and angry customer

Listen to your customer base Here and on your app reviews and react don’t bury your head in your corporate and box 

Userlevel 2

SONOS Team,

I’m writing to urgently address the significant issues with the latest SONOS app update, as detailed in this blog.

The current app is terrible and it’s crucial for the company to respond promptly to these concerns. If these problems are not resolved quickly, you risk losing once-loyal customers, including myself. The lack of action on these issues is already generating negative social media buzz, which could further damage SONOS's reputation. It is imperative that you take immediate steps to rectify these problems.

I look forward to your prompt response and resolution.

SONOS Team,

I’m writing to urgently address the significant issues with the latest SONOS app update, as detailed in this blog.

The current app is terrible and it’s crucial for the company to respond promptly to these concerns. If these problems are not resolved quickly, you risk losing once-loyal customers, including myself. The lack of action on these issues is already generating negative social media buzz, which could further damage SONOS's reputation. It is imperative that you take immediate steps to rectify these problems.

I look forward to your prompt response and resolution.

After 3 weeks of essentially inaction, why do you think your urgent message demanding immediate action will have any impact?  Nobody is listening. Sonos has its timetable and its update strategy.  Nothing you say or do will influence their course of action or inaction. 

Dear Sonos Team,

it pains me to read all the comments and complains your loyal customers are sharing with you. Not just in this community but in social media worldwide. The web is full of it. My previous company and I personally were one of the early supporters and financiers of your company and products and accompanied your growth and success. At home we have replaced all old passive speakers with your equipment and were always pleased by the sound and the ease of use. We have actively promoted your brand to family and friends over the years and most followed the advice. Since the release of your latest App, this has now backfired badly. 

I do not want to repeat and list all the deficiencies this App has, the other comments list only a few. I may add that we have digitized hundreds of thousands of songs from records and CDs in an iTunes library on our Mac, which we now cannot access anymore, never mind being able to steer it from a mobile. So in short, your system has become useless.

Please recall this App version immediately, re-release the old one and go back to the drawing board to reprogram it…and please! do a proper testing cycle (6 sigma standard) before you release a new version!!!

Meanwhile I will try to appease my friends and wife to not throw out the equipment and revert to alternative brands or old passive speakers.

Your still loyal supporter and customer…for now!

Well stated. I have spent thousands on Sonos. I have warned people who were interested to not purchase a system at this point. I resorted to another music system this Memorial Day weekend. Other than one communication, as complaints continue to pour in Sonos leadership has been MIA and their system is useless. 

Here Here Well said and factual Each and every loyal customer just wants and app that compliments the Hardware not much to ask when you have invested your hard earned cash into something that Originally was top 

drawn now sadly appears to be scrapping the bottom of the barrel 

Hopey3