Skip to main content
Question

problems with new Sonos app

The new Sonas app is awful. It typically will not connect to music even when the music is playing, hence I cannot switch the music of,

but worst problem is trying to control the volumes of the various sonas speakers. Even when I adjust the volume in the app it mysteriously changes itself back to the other setting.

trying to adjust volumes is almost impossible and VERY VERY frustrating.

fthis app should not have been released in such a dismal and poor state. It really damages Sonas reputation and brand.

when will these problems be fixed..?

373 replies

Userlevel 1

The new Sonas app is awful. It typically will not connect to music even when the music is playing, hence I cannot switch the music of,

but worst problem is trying to control the volumes of the various sonas speakers. Even when I adjust the volume in the app it mysteriously changes itself back to the other setting.

fthis app should not have been released in such a dismal and poor state. It really damages Sonas reputation and brand.

The App is even worse and even less user friendly than before and that takes some doing! Navigating through is impossible and it doesn’t seem to let you switch between rooms like the old one did at least. 
Annoyed, frustrated and ready to sell my system if they don’t fix this pronto! 

Userlevel 1

Here are my issues:

Setup:-  

1. Took hours to add a gen 3 sub and two era 300's to my arc. Had to reset arc which then refused to allow me to properly connect earc. Kept saying other equipment was at fault. Nothing else was plugged into the TV. Just the arc

2. Can not get my play 3's to be a stereo pair. Just puts the them in different rooms with the same name. Impossible to fix. 

3. These issues means that even though I have a new router I can't use it. Because I know the shocking experience awaiting me if I try to move it to another network.

App:-

1. All the time it says I don't have a Sonos system. Force close open and all of a sudden I do.  This affects the ability to pause music, change what's playing or altering volume in a timely fashion.

2. It will randomly detect different parts of my system. And can take a couple of reboots of the app for it to see everything 

3. Playing anything through the app is an adventure. Getting the right thing in the right place is a nightmare.

4. Grouping leads to glitchy volume with all rooms glitching out as I increase the group volume. Sometimes volume changes apply. Other times it just goes back to where it was then you have to do it again.  

5. Grouping can lead to one of the rooms stopping and the all rooms. Then randomly a few mins later it'll start playing something else. It's actually rather embarrassing when you have people round and the system is just doing random stuff. 

How could this all be so messed up. Why haven't you just apologised and rolled us back while you fix this mess. I've paid over 5k for my setup. Why have you forced us into a situation where setup and control is like it's been made by ameratures. I just can't believe it. 

Userlevel 1

Fully agree. The new app is a complete and utter monster. Nothing works. How on earth could they launch this new app. Absolutely awful!! Shame on you Sonos. Shame on you 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Why have we heard absolutely nothing from Sonos in response to our messages on this thread?

Why have we heard absolutely nothing from Sonos in response to our messages on this thread?

Userlevel 4
Badge

Further to my comment above (and I agree with the other comments in this thread), I am lost to find on this terrible new App how to turn on the alarm function for wake-up music.  Can anyone help me?

I eventually found how to set alarms under “Manage” Speakers - rather odd place to hide this function!

Agreed - it seems to have a complete mind of its own. Says it’s playing something on one speaker but it’s not, can’t get to the other grouped speakers with what is actually playing. Can’t seem to get any control of what is and what is not playing, adjust volumes 

Been on Sonos from very early days, loved it but this new version of the app, with all it promised, is awful. If I can’t control my music, which speaker is playing (out of over 10 speakers) and what the volume is, what’s the point of Sonos. 
please fix asap

Same for me. I’m about to dump it. Won’t play. Won’t stop. Won’t change channels/music. It’s gone crazy. 

Agree with all the above. What are Sonos doing?. They have issued an app totally unfit for purpose. Please fix it quickly. We buy expensive products - the update means they are becoming unusable . Their quality control should have picked up how terrible this update was before they released it. Extremely disappointing. 

Userlevel 1

Dear Sonos CEO, 

I sincerely hope you read the customer feedback and do not become another “Boeing”.

Reading many of the comments, as I have the same problems, I am gobsmacked, why and how come you even release such products. Do you have a process for validation prior to releases ?

I do not want to add any fuel to the fire, but you kill everything you stood for. 

Don’t stay silent, get loud and communicate with those who are loyal to the company. Change the company before its too late. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Dear Sonos CEO, 

I sincerely hope you read the customer feedback and do not become another “Boeing”.

Reading many of the comments, as I have the same problems, I am gobsmacked, why and how come you even release such products. Do you have a process for validation prior to releases ?

I do not want to add any fuel to the fire, but you kill everything you stood for. 

Don’t stay silent, get loud and communicate with those who are loyal to the company. Change the company before its too late. 

Well said. If you go on the Sonos website you have the opportunity to email the CEO directly. I’ve done this. But needless to say I have had no reply or acknowledgement. The company is clearly in free fall under his “leadership” and he should be ashamed of what he has allowed to happen. The fact that Sonos support are not responding as well worries me further. No one seems to care or know what to do to solve all the problems that they have caused. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Dear Sonos CEO, 

Well said. If you go on the Sonos website you have the opportunity to email the CEO directly. I’ve done this. But needless to say I have had no reply or acknowledgement. The company is clearly in free fall under his “leadership” and he should be ashamed of what he has allowed to happen. The fact that Sonos support are not responding as well worries me further. No one seems to care or know what to do to solve all the problems that they have caused. 

Replies are coming out in response to the emails to the CEO but they are pretty much a cut and paste of the press releases.

The poor response from support is just another indicator that Sonos got this wrong they have clearly been overwhelmed by the volume of calls.

Userlevel 2

I’m saddened by the new app because the previous version was not perfect but far more intuitive. I miss the navigation bar at the bottom and many more of the old features.  The new app is awkward. Please fix it.

App update is terrible, volume control on the 18 components is what I (and imagine most of your users) want, and then just play nice with the music source (spotify is my main). Trying to be the music source and the hardware is not going well.  Worried about how much i have invested in the system if this is the app you are satisfied with and the direction you are heading, may need to consider other passive sound systems in the future.  The hardware is top notch, this app update is crap please recall and fix. Using your users as test subjects us annoying, work the bugs out before sharing, this is crap. 

New app is dog sh** all that needs to be said. 

I’m extremely disappointed in the new app.  How did Sonos let this out of beta testing and into production?  Obviously the tech team completely dropped the ball on this implementation.  It’s hard to believe that Sonos could be so sloppy and put out such a shoddy app release.  I was an application programmer at one point and I would be completely embarrassed to have my name and work associated with this piece of junk app.  Sonos, please roll back to the old app and save face on this disaster immediately.      

WTF has happened to Sonos? I’ve spent thousands on the equipment and now I can’t even play my favourite tunes or add to queue etc. why?????

Userlevel 1

Dear Sonos,

I agree with all the app issues above. Loved the product for almost 10 years. We expect it to at least play music, it is WORTHLESS RIGHT NOW. I have purchased JBLs to REPLACE YOU until you FIX THIS.

Here’s a few ideas to fix.

1. GO BACK TO THE GOLD SONOS 2 APP THAT WORKED UNTIL YOU FIGURE THIS OUT.
  2. be PROACTIVE - publish the top fixes/ideas to your users. We can’t even call customer support- wait times of 1 to 2 hours
  3. Implement EXCELLENT CHAT feature for customer support. 
  4. it’s become clear in the last 2 releases you are NOT a good software company. GO HIRE BETTER PEOPLE, software engineers, QA. Put processes and beta test in place and DON’T RELEASE horrible apps with so many problems.
  5. You are introducing too many product lines, you have stretched yourself too thin. You are not capable of executing your business plan.  BEFORE YOU LOSE YOUR ENTIRE REPUTATION, REGROUP AND FOCUS.
  6. Asking us to sift through your poor communmity system IS NOT A FIX. Users are good people, but YOU NEED TO DO MORE.
  7. GOOD LUCK - we all hope and pray you figure this out. If it continues, you’ll lose  our loyalty and we’ll move on to other products.
Userlevel 1

HEADS UP FOLKS- HERES A BIG PROBLEM

WHEN THE HEAD OF PRODUCT DUMPS SHARES- ITS CLOSE TO OVER

Who is the head of product Sonos?

Maxime Bouvat-merlin

On May 20, 2024, Maxime Bouvat-merlin, the Chief Product Officer of Sonos Inc (NASDAQ:SONO), sold 40,222 shares of the company.3 days ago (5.21.24)
Userlevel 1

SONOS EXEC DUMPING SHARES

https://www.google.com/search?q=Maxime+Bouvat-merlin&source=lmns&bih=583&biw=1260&client=firefox-b-1-d&prmd=invsmbt&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwie78uK7qmGAxXxm7AFHRMWAwAQ0pQJKAB6BAgBEAI#ip=1

Did a reset of the app. Reconnected to local network and re-authorized the music services.

Looks like it improved response and functionality of the app 

By far not what it should be I must say though 

I have never seen so many problems with this new App! I have over 20 speakers and i can not use the TV source for my speakers. It works for 3 secs and shuts off. Music works normal.. my WiFi is great that is not the issue and the tv is directly connected to my Arc. Any help would be great. Wish i didn’t update app. This is awful 

+1 for app instsbility, system dropping off and volume control sluggish-ness. Looks like a Beta version shipped. 

Identical on other family members’ app
iOS 17.5.1 

Yes not happy,  have total stuffed app. Can’t get out off music to hook up to tv speakers. Want old app back was working perfectly. Don’t they check these apps before they put them out? Just give me a normal remote instead of having to stuff around with crap app. Better things to do

Sub Volume, when using a third-party sub connected to an Amp, does nothing anymore. Also not sure if rear speaker distance can be adjusted as I don’t immediately see it, but that’s less important. Not being able to adjust sub volume is pretty brutal.