Skip to main content

Preference to downgrade audio quality for poor wireless communication and older units

• 4 December 2023
  • 5 replies

I notice that my legacy products tend to struggle to keep up when streaming HD songs from sources such as Amazon. 

It would be nice to have the ability to set a preference for lower-quality/SD streaming if/when available to aleviate some of that struggle and make the legacy units more responsive. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you are seeing this while grouped have you tried starting the stream from one of the older devices to see if anything changes?

Sonos and the stream source are supposed to negotiate something that works so you might want to send a diagnostic next time you see this and have Sonos look at the internal data we users can’t see. Call support with the diagnostic number.

I notice that my legacy products tend to struggle to keep up when streaming HD songs from sources such as Amazon. 

It would be nice to have the ability to set a preference for lower-quality/SD streaming if/when available to aleviate some of that struggle and make the legacy units more responsive. 

It’s automatic with Amazon.

https://tech-blog.sonos.com/posts/happy-music-streaming-with-mpeg-dash/

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Do you know if that bit-rate adaptation is triggered by downstream Sonos grouped to the one connected to the service or just by the connected player?

The Group Coordinator fetches the stream. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thx all. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to improve if I start the stream from one unit or another. This issue only occurs with Amazon music. SXM/Pandora/Radio etc are easier for them to play reliably. 

the only way to get them to reliably play Amazon is hardwiring all the units, which isn’t a long term solution. 

thankfully the newer units on S2 rarely have this issue.