Question

Podcasts

• 10 November 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hi, I am trying to play podcasts via Spotify premium to my speakers.  Some will connect straight away without issue or downloading but most will not connect with sonos " Cant play this right now" shows when I click the speaker icon & will only play through my android phone.  The help page talks about root directory & music folders. If I need to be a tech genius to listen to podcasts I quit. Any help will be greatly appreciated however please keep any information basic as I'm no Bill Gates! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Phil Mallett, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue as well as the steps that you did. I’d be happy to help you all here. Direct control is available on Android only, and both the Google Play Music and Sonos apps must be installed.

First I'd like to ask questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. When did you encounter this issue? Any changes in the network like a new router or WiFi name/password?
2. Do you experience the same issue with all your music services? 
3. What is your Android device software version?

It would be best for those having trouble submitting a diagnostic report of your system for better understanding and see what would be best for the setup. Reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here to help. 

Badge +2

Hi, thanks for the contact. WiFi router renewed in the summer, Sonos  connection setup with new password up to date Diagnostic 611956147.  I also use Napster without issue. 

Spotify have cleared cashe in their app, with no improvement.  Both apps have been uninstall, reinstalled & linked. Spotify authorised however online Napster i always get an option to reautorize. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.*

Badge +2

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Phil Mallett, thank you for your response and for providing the diagnostic. Upon checking the report, it detected an audio dropout was detected in your due to sync error and the audio feed is too slow causing the playback to stop. These are network-related issues that might be causing this problem. Please perform the following troubleshooting steps to see if it’s going to work.

1. Reboot your router and wait 1-2 minutes before you plug it back it. Check if your Sonos devices giving you solid white light before checking your system again.
  2. Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Network > Networks > SonosNet Channel > Set it to 6
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.
  3. For Napster - please check your account by logging into their website.
  4. For Spotify (direct control), I found this page from Spotify that you can check if will work for you - https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/quot-Spotify-can-t-play-this-right-now-If-you-have-the-file-on/td-p/4541498

If there’s still no improvement after performing the steps mentioned above, the next step is to contact our Sonos Customer Care support to remotely access your device and run some tests on Napster and Spotify to isolate the issue. However, our phone support team is closed during weekends. You may reach them on Monday.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

Badge +2

Hi, I have done all the above except the Spotify link as Spotify sent me a maintenance log in to try & the podcasts still failed to work, they are still trying to resolve the issue as well. I have a few questions 1) Should I be using my boost with my system? I have removed it as I read on your site that it was no longer needed. 2) Your site tells me I have 1 product that is not compatible with the S2 controller but upgrades are available ie buy more speakers.. is this correct, which product do I own that is not compatible with S2? 3) Is it possible to do a full system reset either locally or remotely by you? 4) When I went into system, network, channel , channel was greyed out , I had to hard wire a speaker into my router & follow instructions re password change to allow me to change to channel 6 as instructed above ,channel is once again greyed out!! I really appreciate your help in this but frustration is getting the better of me, everything must work from my phone as I don't have daily access to a laptop.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Phil Mallett, thank you for your response. I appreciate you for following our recommendation reaching out to Spotify, please keep us posted on this. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Based on the diagnostic you sent us, your Boost is wired to your router. When it’s wired, it created a SonosNetwork that will broadcast the connection to your other Sonos speakers. You can keep the Boost wired connected to make your Sonos system more stable. You can remove the Boost if all your Sonos devices can connect to your WiFi network.
  2. Looking at the diagnostic, I can see a Sonos Bridge which is an old device and you have replaced it with the Sonos Boost. The rest of your Sonos products are compatible with the S2 system. 
  3. We don’t have access to your system from our end and performing a full system reset is not possible. 
  4. That’s correct. You can change the wireless channel on the Sonos app if you have a Sonos device wired to your router. We recommended this step because you have the Boost connected. Once you disconnect the ethernet cable, the SonosNet Channel will be grayed out.

You can check the About My System section of the Sonos app to see associated products connected to your system. This includes information like your Sonos software and OS version, Sonos ID, model names of your Sonos products, and more.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know. We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Badge +2

Thats all reassuring. Thanks very much for all you help.