Plex - Unable to browse music

• 31 December 2022
  • 28 replies

Badge

So I have this issue, I believe since Sonos version 14.20.1, that I'm unable to 'browse' my Plex content via the Sonos iOS app and Sonos Controller for PC.

I can search content and play via the Sonos iOS app and Sonos Controller for PC, but unable to browse the content. I also restored my Plex music server to a previous version so I'm really sure it's related to the latest version of Sonos 14.20.1

Do you members also experiencing this issue?

Sonos 14.20.1
Plex 1.30.0.6486

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is a question for Plex, it is their service that is failing to deliver their content.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What does “unable to ‘browse’ mean to you?

So I have this issue, I believe since Sonos version 14.20.1, that I'm unable to 'browse' my Plex content via the Sonos iOS app and Sonos Controller for PC.

I can search content and play via the Sonos iOS app and Sonos Controller for PC, but unable to browse the content. I also restored my Plex music server to a previous version so I'm really sure it's related to the latest version of Sonos 14.20.1

Do you members also experiencing this issue?

Sonos 14.20.1
Plex 1.30.0.6486

It’s all working okay for my setup here (see attached screen-capture  - browsing the Plex server by Artist) - I’m using S2 App v14.20 build 70435282 & Plex Server version 1.30.0.6486

Badge

I mean with ‘Unable to browse music' as shown in the attached pictures. I can search the music and play, but not browse the content.

I did re-authentication and completely remove and re-added the Plex service but the issue still persist.

@HozZeS 

Are you seeing the same thing with a different (mobile) controller. I was using an iPad when I tested it. Maybe there’s something like a firewall/vpn service etc. running on the PC that’s blocking things.

If other music services are not affected, then the issue lies with Plex. you can also try reauthorizing the account there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What does “unable to ‘browse’ mean to you?

It is the generic and lame error message that Sonos display when any SMAPI call fails. If they displayed the real error returned by the service or the network stack, a better diagnosis might be possible.

Badge

If other music services are not affected, then the issue lies with Plex. you can also try reauthorizing the account there. 

So yes, I did and also completely removed Plex services/account and re-added

Badge

@HozZeS

Are you seeing the same thing with a different (mobile) controller. I was using an iPad when I tested it. Maybe there’s something like a firewall/vpn service etc. running on the PC that’s blocking things.

The issue is on all my mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, laptop etc).

I will check the Plex logging this evening, there should be some logs or errors.

Badge

Hi All,

What I also did to try fixing the issue:

1. removed my plex-music instance and claimed it back into my Plex environment.
  2. created a new music library in another plex instance, I can search/find content and play, but still cannot browse the content via the Sonos app and Sonos Controller for PC.

I exported the Plex log file and ​​​​​noticed incoming connections via the WAN from Sonos requesting all kind of data e.g. recent, popular etc. when I selected to Plex as source.
So it seems that meta data has been requested and sent from the Plex instance to Sonos. I'm not a web guru so maybe you guys see something that could help, hereby a part of the plex log 

@controlav

Regards,

Also here the fail I see in the Sonos app:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The Plex log is just for the local device, but the problem is between the Sonos app and the Plex Service, not the local Plex instance. IYou could install my Windows app (see profile) which will at display the underlying error message instead of “unable to browse music”. Have you asked Plex to look into this?

@HozZeS 

Is UPnP auto-port forwarding enabled on your Router? If not, give that a try and see if that resolves the Plex issue.

Badge

The Plex log is just for the local device, but the problem is between the Sonos app and the Plex Service, not the local Plex instance. IYou could install my Windows app (see profile) which will at display the underlying error message instead of “unable to browse music”. Have you asked Plex to look into this?

So I installed Phonos Universal application on my windows machine and the same issue persist, the error is an ‘Unexpected error.’

As for the Plex community I didn't raised the issue yet, let me do that.

Badge

@HozZeS

Is UPnP auto-port forwarding enabled on your Router? If not, give that a try and see if that resolves the Plex issue.

UPnP is enabled on the interface (LAN) were all Sonos devices and client devices exists.
As for the Plex instances, they exists in the DMZ due security reasons and there are NAT rules in place so that the Plex instances are reachable from the Internet.
Traffic LAN > DMZ is allowed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So I installed Phonos Universal application on my windows machine and the same issue persist, the error is an ‘Unexpected error.’

Progress: after you get the error in my app, go to Settngs / Help via Email, when the email opens, Paste into it (as the clipboard should contain some good stuff), and send me that.

@HozZeS

UPnP is enabled on the interface (LAN) were all Sonos devices and client devices exists.
As for the Plex instances, they exists in the DMZ due security reasons and there are NAT rules in place so that the Plex instances are reachable from the Internet.

Perhaps also see this link in regards to the ‘NAT loopback’ requirement for Plex to work on Sonos…

https://forums.plex.tv/t/is-nat-loopback-hairpinning-required-for-sonos-to-work-with-plex/193720/3

Badge

@HozZeS

Perhaps also see this link in regards to the ‘NAT loopback’ requirement for Plex to work on Sonos…

https://forums.plex.tv/t/is-nat-loopback-hairpinning-required-for-sonos-to-work-with-plex/193720/3

NAT Loopback is enabled, I can reach my plex instances via my public IP from internal LAN ( PublicIP:PlexPort), this was the first issue I had to fix previous year when I bought my first Sonos equipment and wanted to stream the music from Plex to Sonos.

@MikeV in that link suggests manually forwarding the Plex port which, IIRC, is TCP 32400, albeit you may have set that redirected externally perhaps? - but maybe give that a try (I would leave UPnP enabled for now) and just see if that makes any difference.

Also, just in case, check that you have the latest Plex server software installed, which I think currently stands at version 1.30.0.6486

I would also try removing and reinstalling the Plex service in the Sonos App, as you never know if the issue may lie there.

Badge

Also, just in case, check that you have the latest Plex server software installed, which I think currently stands at version 1.30.0.6486

plex@plex02:~$ apt list --installed | grep plex

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

plexmediaserver/public,now 1.30.0.6486-629d58034 amd64 [installed]

Badge

I would also try removing and reinstalling the Plex service in the Sonos App, as you never know if the issue may lie there.

I removed the Plex service and re-added in the Sonos App, also removed my plex instance and re-claimed it. This makes no difference.

Badge

Adding to track this thread. Running into the same problem:

1. Disconnected/reconnected sonos app
  2. Latest version on Plex

I’m able to get find and stream the album, but unable to browse.

When searching for the artist, with both the Sonos Controller for Mac and iOS, I’m able to find, but unable to click through to the specific album.

However, when I search through album I’m able to find and select and stream.

Adding to track this thread. Running into the same problem:

1. Disconnected/reconnected sonos app
  2. Latest version on Plex

I’m able to get find and stream the album, but unable to browse.

When searching for the artist, with both the Sonos Controller for Mac and iOS, I’m able to find, but unable to click through to the specific album.

However, when I search through album I’m able to find and select and stream.

When you refer to the iOS controller search do you mean ‘browsing to the album’ via the search screen (Artists tab/Plex service results) as in the screen-capture animation shown below - because this is working here for me…

@MixerV
Just for clarity…I searched for ‘Genesis’ in my library on the Artist tab and scrolled down to the ‘Genesis’ entry underneath the Plex MSP  heading …and then browsed through to their albums and tracks etc.