Skip to main content

Sonos Roam, Sonos android app, trying to create a playlist of “BBC6 music” (via “Sonos Radio Station”), TripleJ (“TuneIn Station”, Australian radio) and DoubleJ (also via “TuneIn Station”).

The three are in the “Stations” but weirdly only BBC6 can be added into “Favorites”.

Anyway, the goal is to go to the next/prev station by double/triple tapping on the speaker’s “play” button, is there a way to achieve such thing? Thanks,

Hi @aik 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

You cannot add radio stations to a playlist - as they never stop playing, it makes no sense to be able to do so (though I do appreciate what you’re trying to do and why).

I couldn’t find the non-BBC stations on my TuneIn, which may explain why you are unable to add them to your Favourites - I can favourite stations that I can find with no issue. It’s possible that I can’t see them due to geo-blocking, of course, in which case if you are in Australia, you shouldn’t have any issue adding them to your favourites.

Anyway, the goal is to go to the next/prev station by double/triple tapping on the speaker’s “play” button, is there a way to achieve such thing? Thanks,

I don’t think so, no.

I hope this helps.

hm ok.  But how do you manage playlists in the Sonos app in general? There is no obvious interface for that.

and I can add all stations to “My radio stations” but not “Favorites”, what is the difference?

Hi @aik 

hm ok.  But how do you manage playlists in the Sonos app in general? There is no obvious interface for that.

There are two main ways to add items to a playlist:

• If the playlist already exists, you can tap on the ellipsis (...) next to any track on any service and choose “Add to Sonos Playlist”. You’ll be asked which playlist to add to.
  • If the playlist does not already exist, the best way to create one is to add multiple tracks to the Queue (ellipsis, then “Add to Queue”) and, when done, then Save the Queue as a New Playlist. Make sure that the playlist is emptied by selecting “Replace Queue” when adding the first track only.

To remove items from an existing playlist, add the playlist to the Queue, then tap Edit at the bottom of the Queue screen and you can then move or remove items from the Queue. When finished, tap Done, then Save the Queue as the same playlist and it will be over-written.

See our Using the queue in the Sonos app help page.

and I can add all stations to “My radio stations” but not “Favorites”, what is the difference?

I don’t use TuneIn - or radio - much in general, but if understand you correctly, “My radio stations” is a Favourites section within TuneIn. If you add a radio station to “My Sonos”, on the other hand, it gets added to Sonos’ own favourites section (the star icon at the lower left of the app). The latter will require less taps in the app to find a specific favourite.

I hope this helps.

Well, radios cannot be used for creating playlist, right? The only other service which is not radio and which I have is Spotify but that thing (weirdly it does not even let me play my own playlist but instead offers a million suggestions) does not do save-able playlist either - music appears in the queue screen with the “end session”  button but there is no “save” anywhere.

Then I tried “Sonos Radios” - even though it looks like a collection of single songs, they do not have “playlist” in (...) (so Sonos thinks they are radios, hence the name?) Then I started randomly picking services and “PowerApp” did let me create a playlist. Woohoo 🙂 The Sonos’es idea of playlists not allowing radios is weird imho :-(

Hi @aik 

Well, radios cannot be used for creating playlist, right? The only other service which is not radio and which I have is Spotify but that thing (weirdly it does not even let me play my own playlist but instead offers a million suggestions) does not do save-able playlist either - music appears in the queue screen with the “end session”  button but there is no “save” anywhere.

To create a Spotify playlist, you must use the Spotify app. To create a Sonos playlist, you must use the Sonos app (even if the tracks are on Spotify).

Then I tried “Sonos Radios” - even though it looks like a collection of single songs, they do not have “playlist” in (...) (so Sonos thinks they are radios, hence the name?) Then I started randomly picking services and “PowerApp” did let me create a playlist. Woohoo :-)

Yeah, the curated playlists are labelled as stations - I think this is because you can generally skip though tracks on a playlist, but to do this on the curated “playlists” on Sonos Radio you must first subscribe to Sonos Radio HD.

The Sonos’es idea of playlists not allowing radios is weird imho :-(

As mentioned, it’s because stations play endlessly - if you could add one to a playlist, you may expect items other than the first on the list to play, which would only happen in the connection was lost (which could take quite a few hours). It would also enable users to effectively play a station constantly (by making a playlist that consists of nothing but multiple entries to the one station), which the stations themselves would not be agreeable to as they need to preserve available bandwidth for people they know are actually listening.

I hope this helps.

As mentioned, it’s because stations play endlessly - if you could add one to a playlist, you may expect items other than the first on the list to play, which would only happen in the connection was lost (which could take quite a few hours).

Not “only” lost connection, it also can happen when I double/triple click on “play”.

Anyway. I finally got my radio playlist, via Home Assistant + Sonos integration and its “hass-cli” tool which allows feeding local and internet streaming urls, enqueue them and then jump between prev/next radios in the Sonos App or Home Assistant. Impressively ugly way to get a simple playlist of http streams which the Sonos App can show and save and go prev/next stations. At least it clearly works.