Answered

Playing iTunes playlists through Sonos

• 1 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I am trying to play my iTunes playlists through Sonos but cannot see them.

I have followed all the steps:

1. in Settings / Manage music library, I have added the folder where iTunes music library lives - I can see all the songs/artists/albums fine in Sonos.
  2. I have exported each playlist in XLM format from iTunes and saved them in the same folder as above.
  3. I have Updated the Music library to ensure all changes are indexed.

After all this when I go to Music Library / Imported playlists - there is still no selection available.

What am I missing? Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Paul A 16 January 2021, 18:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @rameckler.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us and for doing the extra mile of starting with some basic troubleshooting steps. I understand that you wanted to share your music library with your Sonos ecosystem. I would like to share with you by going through these recommendations to help out.

I would recommend the following basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Reboot the router by unplugging it from power and plugging it back after 10-15 seconds to refresh network connectivity and delete temporary data stored on the router.
  2. Reboot your Sonos devices.
  3. Force close and re-open the Sonos app
  4. Test if the issue persists.

I would also like to suggest the following guides to check if these things would also help fix the issue.

1. I had to change permissions for the folder where my music is stored.  It was set to “Custom,” and I changed it to “Read & Write.”
  2. I then went to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy.  Under “Full Disc Access,” both the Sonos program AND SonosLibraryServer must be allowed.
  3. Finally, the computer name and NetBIOS name must be exactly the same in both System Preferences > Sharing - and in System Preferences > Network > Advanced > WINS.

After that, update the Music Library.

Please let me know how it goes and keep me posted on the progress.

Thanks,

Badge +1

Hi Paul, thank you for the response I am actually using iTunes on a PC not a Mac so could you take me through the 3 bottom steps for a PC?

thanks. 

Badge +1

and I should add the music folder is on my iCloud drive on my PC.

Although the library has synced fine, I can’t play it either.

Having had a quick look at the properties of the folder, it says Read/Write for Sonos. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @rameckler.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

I would like to suggest the following steps and please follow accordingly for windows OS.

1. Turn-off or disable any anti-virus and firewall.
  2. restart your windows computer.
  3. Open the Sonos App.
  4. Try to remove and re-add music library.
  5. Wait until indexing is finished and test.
  6. Submit a diagnostic after 3-5 minutes to document the troubleshooting steps performed so we can also check what is going on if any other issues arises.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how it goes and keep me posted on the progress.

Thanks,

Badge +1

hello, I have turned the firewall off and this has worked I now have the playlists as a M3U files, however just to let you know the playlists as XML files still couldn’t be found. 

Badge +1

Hello,

Back on this. I am still encountering a problem. As per previous post I managed to import the playlists as M3U files only (save din the same folder as the library). The library has indexed again, I can play the library fine but the playlists won’t play. I get a message ‘unable to locate track. Thanks. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @rameckler.

Thanks for your update and immediate response.

From this point, I would recommend calling our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps and further investigation on what is going on. It is best to contact our technical support team so they can dig deeper and find out what would be the better step to take and what is causing the issue as the Sonos App is just a software remote control to connect and play music through your Sonos ecosystem. I would also like to suggest submitting a diagnostic after 3-5 minutes of the issue happening so we can check if there are odd behavior on your Sonos devices or what the Sonos App sees based on what is being indexed through Sonos.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everyone can help you out.

Thanks,