Answered

playbar and powerline adaptors

• 8 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi there

I have tp link powerline adaptors hard wired to router and then to the playbar on the other side of the living room. They are definitely working as I have tested the ethernet signal with a MacBook. My issue is when I connect up the ethernet cable from adaptor to playbar it doesn’t seem to pick up the signal and it won’t let me turn off the playbars wifi. 

has anyone experienced this before? Hopefully there is a simple fix. Playbar disappears from my system often via wifi even though it’s in the same room as my router. Bt smart hub 2. Sonos have replaced the playbar twice now due to apparently dodgey wifi cards. Great customer service I must add. PlayBar was bought nearly 8 years ago!

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 10 April 2023, 11:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Wylie_S, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sonos does not support powerline adaptors as per our system requirements as these devices can cause various network related issues, similar to the one you’re seeing now. I would instead recommend a mesh system if you need to extend your home network.

I would also recommend you keep Wi-Fi enabled on the Playbar. If you are wiring every Sonos component in your system, then you would be fine to disable Wi-Fi. If you aren’t or you have surround speakers or a Sonos Subwoofer, then disabling Wi-Fi can cause connection issues between the rest of your Sonos system and issues with any devices paired to the Playbar.

If you would still want to turn Wi-Fi off, then I’d suggest wiring to the router instead to see if the option becomes available. If not, then please reach out to our support team as they have the necessary tools available to troubleshoot this further with you.

I hope this information helps!