Skip to main content

PLAYBAR Adding and updating playbar to the new release version of the sonos application

• 23 May 2024
  • 4 replies

Regarding the issue of the Playbar not updating and connecting to the newly releases sonos app.  I opened a ticket with Sonos.  Obviously its the new app problems.  But started a promising route and had to stop to make dinner last night.

1.  FACTORY RESET YOUR PLAYBAR.  (which I’m sure you’ve done a lot)
  2. AFTER IT RESETS UNPLUG YOUR PLAYBAR
  3. DOWNLOAD THE OLD SONOS APP S1
  4. CLOSE ALL APPS
  5. PLUG IN YOUR PLAYBAR
  6. BOOT UP THE S1 APP
  7. ADD THE PLAYBAR TO THE S1 APP BY MAKING A NEW SYSTEM
  8. IT WILL PROPERLY UPDATE THE PLAYBAR
  9. ---THIS IS WHERE I HAD TO MAKE DINNER---
  10. BUT AT THIS POINT YOU COULD USE THE PLAYBAR TO WATCH MOVIES ETC.,
  11. NEXT STEP IS TO UPGRADE FROM THE S1 APP TO THE NEW APP AND WHEN YOU DO THE UPGRADE FOR THE PLAYBAR IT SHOULD UPDATE THE SPEAKER.
  12. The reason it is not updating from the new app is that the factory reset takes the playbar back to the firmware from 2013.  That was 11 years ago.  It is too old and cannot update on the new sonos app so you have to first update it on the S1 app then transfer it over.  
  13. Now I have not completed this conversion yet but plan on doing so tonight.
  14. Let me know if you have success.
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Sounds about like the process I did with my sub.  OTA update didn’t finish.  I noticed and started trying things.  The sub seems to mess everything up for me.  Unplug the sub and all seems to work.  Plug up the sub and it all goes crazy.  I’m giving up until Sonos fixes it.

I talked to Sonos customer service yesterday 1 hr wait they had 160 people in the que.  Dude said they are aware of the major SNAFU and are working on fixes.  This update was not good.

I talked to Sonos customer service yesterday 1 hr wait they had 160 people in the que.  Dude said they are aware of the major SNAFU and are working on fixes.  This update was not good.

Thanks for confirming that they know and are working on it. 

I had to go back to Sonos 1 app and it allowed me to set up the Playbar.