Skip to main content

Play 5 Gen 2 won't work with any Sonos app?

• 17 June 2024
  • 3 replies

I have a Sonos Play 5 Second Generation, well, I have two actually.

I have downloaded the Sonos app, the plain black one, S2 I believe, but these speakers won’t connect or work with it. They worked fine on the grey S1 app, but I now have YouTube Music and the S1 app does not support it so I’ve trashed the S1 app from my iPHone and have S2, plain black icon, app now. But they won’t connect.

I’ve unplugged one of Play 5 Second Gen speakers and held button on back while booting it up until I get orange flashing light and gone through the app to connect, nothing, it fails. So I tried it again with Ethernet connected to my rougher and Play 5 and that worked, but as soon as I disconnect the Ethernet cable it all goes tits up and the app wants me to set up new system from scratch again. 

WTF is going on? 

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Is it asking to get connected to WIFi or is it asking to set up from scratch?

Since you did use a cable to get it setup, it will not automatically have your WIFI creds.

It asks for either. To connect, or set up, tried both. Without ethernet cable it asks for wi-fi password, but fails, with ethernet cable connected it does not ask and it works, but when I unplug ethernet, defaults back to fresh app download and I have to start over.

I am having exactly the same problem. I can however get it to play with an Ethernet but I want it on wifi. It won’t connect to wifi even after hard resets. When I changed Wi-Fi router I had to set up all my other Sonos speakers which took ages but they all connected but not the play 5.