Answered

Pause / Play button on App does not work when iPad is horizontal...

This is weird.  Normally I use my iPhone to control Sonos…  It is, by design, only oriented vertically.  Meaning, the Sonos App does not rotate on the iPhone; it remains vertical no matter how the phone itself is oriented.   In an effort to become less iPhone dependent, I am setting up a dedicated iPad to control stuff in my house (Sonos, Weemo, Phillips Hue, etc).  Unlike the iPhone, the iPad is typically used in a horizontal/landscape orientation (I think that is not unique just to me).  I have discovered that the Sonos pause/play button will not work on the iPad when it is in the horizontal position; it is there but it does not respond to touch.  If I rotate it to vertical, it works.  Is there any work around (other than the obvious which is to turn the iPad to be vertical :-) )?  My ideal is to have my iPad mounted and left in the horizontal position.

icon

Best answer by Scott O-P 10 March 2023, 21:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Is this an S1 or S2 SONOS system? 

I’ve never experienced this issue. I have noticed from time to time that I’m holding the iPad such that I’m touching the screen with two hands. This can introduce some odd behavior that is not exclusive to SONOS.

Thank you for responding, Buzz! I know this is kind of a big ask, but could you try it and see if it works for you?  I am using Sonos2 “S2” app.  My system is S2.  (I have a few S1 products but they work fine on the S2 app).  

I almost use my iPad exclusively in the horizontal/landscape aspect, in fact I’m using it in that manner to type this. I’ve never had any issue with the S2 app buttons, except in the odd case that @buzz describes, where my ‘holding it’ thumb is actually resting on the screen, rather than the bezel. 

No issue here. Are you having any issues with other Apps using that area of the screen?

Just checked - and it works fine me too.

I’d be guessing a iOS issue with the iPad at this point, or possibly a bad install of the software. My initial attack would be to delete the app, followed by a hard shut down of the iPad. After a couple of minutes off, I’d turn it back on, go to the App Store and download a fresh copy of the Sonos controller. When prompted, select ‘connect to existing system’ and then test. 

Thank you guys both! I’m going to try the reinstall approach again… it’s really helpful to know that you guys are having good luck with that because then I know I will persevere! Funny enough, when I chatted with Sonos directly, the technician guy told me that the app didn’t support horizontal mode. I had a feeling he was not right. Thanks again, you guys!

No issue here. Are you having any issues with other Apps using that area of the screen?

No other apps have this problem. At first I thought maybe there was a dead spot on my screen or something weird. But it’s just the Sonos app that’s having this trouble. So strange.

I almost use my iPad exclusively in the horizontal/landscape aspect, in fact I’m using it in that manner to type this. I’ve never had any issue with the S2 app buttons, except in the odd case that @buzz describes, where my ‘holding it’ thumb is actually resting on the screen, rather than the bezel. 

Thank you, Bruce! I’m going to try deleting and reinstalling. At least I know that it’s possible! Thank you thank you!

OK

What I’d do:-

delete app and reinstall - try again

switch off iPad , reboot and try again

as said above delete, switch off iPad, reboot and reinstall and try again

beg or borrow another iPad to compare….

if narrowed down then to this particular iPad I might back up, and factory reset iPad. Reinstall etc.

Then maybe approach Sonos.

I am not an expert in Sonos, but somewhat an expert in trial and error and eliminating the improbable.

it is so annoying when these little glitches occur - in all tech.

Good luck. I do like the idea of a dedicated iPad as controller!

Hi all who helped here…  In fact, I wanted to wrap this up with the actual, final solution.  I did re-install the Sonos app and still had the same issue.  BUT (I should have done this first but hopefully this will save someone else the research) I updated the iOS on the iPad.  THEN I re-installed the Sonos app.  DONE!  Works in both orientations now.  THANK YOU ALL!

Heh, we should have asked which OS you were running on that iPad :) Glad you got it resolved.