Answered

Ordering of artists

• 13 February 2024
  • 4 replies

I just imported 500 GB iTunes library of ripped CDs.  I spent tremendous time importing album art and tailoring the sort order of artists (Last name first).  A great deal of the album art is lost (I can’t say for sure which ones).  And the artists are sorted by first name.  James Taylor is ordered under J, not under T!!!  Is there anyway the importing library can see the sort order that iTunes handles? 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 14 February 2024, 22:01

View original

4 replies

For album art issues/requirements - see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/missing-music-library-album-art-in-the-sonos-app

Maybe use a Tag editor, such as MP3Tag, to export/import, or edit/resize Album Art.

To re-order your library, see the options in the Sonos App Library Settings (see screenshot attached).

Note: After you change the library sort order, you will need to re-index your library via the Sonos App.

Thanks Ken, but I believe you missed my questions.

1. Album Art - I spent hours (lots) importing jpgs into iTunes.  These are not embedded in the individual files but are stored separately in a file by iTunes.  SONOS should IMHO be able to read these.  I really don’t want to redo that import feature and MP3Tag.  Why can’t SONOS do this for me (if they make me use their app)?
  2. Library Sort Order - I don’t understand your answer.  The ‘sort folders by’ option isn’t clear to me.  I did push it and the index was remade.  It still doesn’t alphabetize correctly.  An album by James Taylor has to go under ‘T’.  Conversely an album by Iron Butterfly has to go under ‘I’.  iTunes is clunky and opaque in its GUI, but it allows you to use ‘Sort By’ and ‘Display’ as two different fields.  So James Taylor would go under artist as James Taylor under Display and as Taylor, James under Sort By.  Problem solved.  But SONOS can neither read these options nor even allow you to redo the sort order of albums. 
  3. It would seem to this humble user that these problems would go away if I could simply use SONOS as a PC speaker.  That way I get away from the SONOS GUI and the Apple iTunes still works.
  4. Finally, I learned today that SONOS won’t work with my TrendMicro Firewall.  ARG!!!  So tech told me it was because of file security in SONOS (sic).  So he’s telling me to lower my security to use his product.  Not wise.  Tech said as much to me. 

Sincerely,

SRS

Depending on your SONOS products and computer, you can send music from your computer to the SONOS system via Bluetooth, AirPlay, or an analog connection.

Thanks Ken, but I believe you missed my questions.

1. Album Art - I spent hours (lots) importing jpgs into iTunes.  These are not embedded in the individual files but are stored separately in a file by iTunes.  SONOS should IMHO be able to read these.  I really don’t want to redo that import feature and MP3Tag.  Why can’t SONOS do this for me (if they make me use their app)?

Whether or not you embed the artwork in each track, or save it as ‘folder.jpg’ in each album folder is neither here, nor there, Sonos can display it either way. Just ensure you’re within the pixel/size limits mentioned, to ensure the artwork shows correctly. In my own case I just use 600x600 pixels, but you can of course go higher.

1. Library Sort Order - I don’t understand your answer.  The ‘sort folders by’ option isn’t clear to me.  I did push it and the index was remade.  It still doesn’t alphabetize correctly.  An album by James Taylor has to go under ‘T’.  Conversely an album by Iron Butterfly has to go under ‘I’.  iTunes is clunky and opaque in its GUI, but it allows you to use ‘Sort By’ and ‘Display’ as two different fields.  So James Taylor would go under artist as James Taylor under Display and as Taylor, James under Sort By.  Problem solved.  But SONOS can neither read these options nor even allow you to redo the sort order of albums. 
  2. It would seem to this humble user that these problems would go away if I could simply use SONOS as a PC speaker.  That way I get away from the SONOS GUI and the Apple iTunes still works.

I think you’re saying you’ve sorted this … but if not, then you will have to contact Sonos and put your request forward as a feature request. Here is a link to contact them…

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

1. Finally, I learned today that SONOS won’t work with my TrendMicro Firewall.  ARG!!!  So tech told me it was because of file security in SONOS (sic).  So he’s telling me to lower my security to use his product.  Not wise.  Tech said as much to me. 

This link below describes the ports that Sonos uses, so you may have to manually configure your firewall accordingly. I don’t personally use that firewall so I cannot assist, but maybe some other users who use it will chime in here and offer some additional information.🤞 Anyhow see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/configure-your-firewall-to-work-with-sonos