One screen should be enough

• 14 September 2023
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have Sonos devices in 3 rooms, and I have a tablet in my kitchen that is assigned as the Center of the sound universe.

I want an App, with just a bit of focus on useability.

Top half:  Choose what I want to hear (Spotify/radio app).

Bottom half: Volume level, both one for all and the indivisual levels.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Uhhh, OK.

I want an App, with just a bit of focus on useability.

The current app already does, doesn’t it?

Top half:  Choose what I want to hear (Spotify/radio app).

Select the browse tab (second from left).

Bottom half: Volume level, both one for all and the indivisual levels.

On the Now Playing screen touch the volume control. The popup shows the individual levels of grouped rooms as well as the master volume.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The app is a “click here, and then here, and then like this...”

The Browse.. doest not browse music, it browse Input connections.

The Now Playing, does as you say, but requires two presses.

Best example is the absence of a timer.

An alarm is not a timer!!!

The app is very much an excersize in Minimum Viable Product design. Fine as a start, but no substantial improvements for a decade.

I think that the interface design is heavily influenced by Apple philosophy. As such there will be minimum visible elements, large graphics, and lots of scrolling and drill down. Unless this scheme is followed, there will be volumes of complaints from Apple users who always claim to know best when it comes to user interface. Personally, I prefer more screen elements and less drill down.

Have you investigated Sleep Timer?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Apple? Sleep timer?

I'm commenting on the Sonos App, that is an integral part of the Sonos speakers.

It is not “simple”, it is cheaply made. A rock is not “a hammer designed by Apple”

Anothe example, it have settings spread all over the app, but no possibility for locking it down, or at least a way to reset to a defined default setting.

Apple? Sleep timer?

I'm commenting on the Sonos App, that is an integral part of the Sonos speakers.

It is not “simple”, it is cheaply made. A rock is not “a hammer designed by Apple”

Anothe example, it have settings spread all over the app, but no possibility for locking it down, or at least a way to reset to a defined default setting.

You asked about a timer.  @buzz pointed you to the sleep timer function:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-a-sleep-timer-on-sonos

Which you seem to be handwaving away.

Now I will point out that there is a way to reset to defaults (two ways, actually):

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-your-sonos-product

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-the-sonos-app

And a way to lock down settings (reset the app as above and don’t log in) and you will handwave those features too.  I think we know what you are about.

I’d decided not to feed this one any more.

Userlevel 1
Badge

When missing functionality is dismissed with workarounds, and there is no destinction between configuration and settings, then the Sonos App is what is deserved.

Userlevel 1
Badge

And I don't want to reset to Sonos defaults, I want to reset to my defaults.. as I wrote.

But I guess realising what is crap, is hard when invested heavily. It is called loss-avoidance.

🙄

I think the issue is that you’re using a tablet for your interface, and Sonos interface is really more designed for use on a smaller phone screen, and thus fully utilizing the real estate that a tablet provides.

One thing you may want to look into, if an android tablet, is using widgets.  This won’t give you all that you want, but you’ll be able to see what’s playing in all 3 rooms (with 3 widgets)  at the same time and perform some basic functions in each room without multiple clicks.  It won’t give you access to timers, browse, etc though, at least, not the last time I checked.

You may also want to take a look at the PC or Mac apps.

I’m not saying there isn’t room for improvement in the Sonos app, just giving some potential options.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Parsec2020 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!