Skip to main content
Answered

One iPhone does not detect the Sonos system. All others do.

• 15 August 2024
  • 5 replies

My whole family uses iPhones and can connect perfectly to Sonos, just my son not.

what is different to my setup: he has an iPhone 15, I have an iPhone 14

same is

• iOS 17.5.1
  • All WiFi Settings
  • Sonos App Version 80.06.03
  • Sonos Login

we both deinstall the Sonos app or reset the app. We both connect with an existing system. Both apps search in the same WiFi. Just my phone finds it, the other cannot find a system. We can reproduce this behavior and can do it even at the same time. Always same behavior.

I‘ve checked what is visible on the local network via an LAN scan with the Network Analyzer app. Both iPhone see the same devices and with them all Sonos speakers. Same data. No clue what the difference is.

Confirm with your Son he does NOT have a VPN installed in the phone and ensure that Settings…Sonos… Local Network access is on.

Beyond that reset the Network Settings on the iPhone, Settings…General…Transfer or Reset…Reset… Reset Network Settings.

No real answer, just questions, which may or may not be a help. 

Any chance you have a mesh network? I’m wondering if his phone is connected to another subnet than the rest. 

Also, have you simply done a hard reboot of the iPhone? This might be tied to the previous suggestion, it might not. I really can’t think of a good reason this one iPhone doesn’t connect, if it isn’t the above.

At the end of the day, I’d call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Edit…oh, @Belly M has some good thoughts. 

Does the Wi-Fi network happen to have the same SSID for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz? 

I’ve reserved IP addresses in the router for all Sonos devices and also for all my phones and tablets. If I happen to need to use the Forget network and have the Private Wi-Fi Address on, I’ll need to check the router. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102509

”iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Open the Settings app, then tap Wi-Fi.

2. Tap the More Info buttonNo alt supplied for Image next to a network.

3. Tap to turn Private Wi-Fi Address off or on. If your device joined the network without using a private address, a privacy warning explains why.

Thanks a lot for all your help! There was no VPN installed. We have a mesh network, but that was also not the reason. Finally it was the 2.4/5GHz Wifi: I’ve renamed the 5GHz to a different name that the 2.4GHZ one. It seems that starting with iPhone 15, the default frequency is another or it was another effect.