Skip to main content
Question

Notification on Android for Song Changing & Pausing

• 8 May 2024
  • 5 replies

In Sonos Android versions prior to v80, the app would have a service running in the background and a notification in the notification bar at all times that allowed for seamless switching & pausing of songs and also allowed for volumes changes on the fly, eliminating the need to go into the app and change it.

After v80, it's been taken away, and the background service is also gone, forcing the app to reboot if the phone ever closes it for RAM optimization, which makes the user wait a long time for the app to start and connect to the system.

My biggest gripe with the notification being gone, above all, is the fact that without it, I can't scrobble using Pano Scrobbler, as it requires an active notification.

Can we get the controller notification & service back soon, please? I don't want to hold on to the old Sonos versions to avoid being without something that shouldn't have been taken away in the first place.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aoskis 

Thanks for your post and your feedback!

As I understand it, I believe the notification bar on Android is scheduled to be back in mid-June.

Regarding Pano Scrobbler, I hadn’t heard of it till now - I assume functionality will return with the return of the notification bar.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Corry P ,

It's almost mid-July now. Any progress on this, might I say, basic feature?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @crabmeatcatnip 

The best place to find such info is at our The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates help page. There’s no specific mention of the notification bar there, but I believe it gets tied in with Snooze Alarms, the ETA of which is presently yet To Be Determined. As I understand it, the notification bar will be a requirement for the Snooze Alarms feature.

Apologies that my earlier estimate was off - presumably, the estimate was changed at some point.

I hope this helps.

I also really hope that this will come back. Now when I open the Sonos app again after a few mins, there is always a lag of a few seconds before the currently playing song is shown. A background service should help significantly in terms of app performance 🙏🏼

I think this is a pretty big and important feature that is still missing in the new app, and there's not yet any clue from Sonos whether it's coming back or not. The future updates page doesn't say anything about a "snooze" feature either.

In my world, as a solution architect, I'd consider this as a bug with high prio.