Answered

'Not enough room to update your music', NAS, Music Library an' all that jazz

• 1 March 2023
  • 4 replies

"There is not enough room to update your music. Please remove unused queues and saved playlist and try again."

Long story short, I understand support for local Music Libraries is dwindling, understand the 65,000 limit, understand the S1 SMB1 and subsequent S2 SM2/SM3 support issue... but still I cannot play get library to play on any of my 5 Sonos speakers (Roam/Play:1/Play:3).

I have 100GB and over 13K songs on a Synology NAS shared drive, 150GB home wifi and 3 so-called 'wifi discs', so the house is covered. Initially attempted to add my library via an iPhone 13 and S2, as I noticed it dropped off approximately four weeks ago. Several failed attempts later I tried again by downloading a fresh Sonos Controller app (Sonos_71.1) on a MacBook Pro 2020 running Ventura 13.2.1. Settings > Music Library > +, entered the //IP/Music with the creds and waited. After 5 hours of the of the spinning wheel of death, I get the "There is not enough room...' message.

1. Does Sonos not support purchased library music any more?
  2. Has something changed at beginning of 2023 regarding SM3 and NAS support?
  3. How can I remove 'unused queues and saved playlist' either in Mac iOS or the Mobile iOS version (is 40 playlists really too many)?

--
Version 15.1
Sonos OS S2
Build 71138080
Support diagnostics. My confirmation number is 844763405

icon

Best answer by Corry P 6 March 2023, 17:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

We have 66 playlists on a SONOS V15.2 S2 system and have been having issue with the Playlist disappearing. I have an open case with technical support, and they indicate that they are working on it. The music is stored on A SYNOLOGY DA1821+ NAS. There are 287 subfolders.

We have been using SONOS since it first came out and have updated from S1 to S2 and expanded the system numerous times. The SONOS Wife Factor is steadily declining as she can no longer reliably access her playlist from her iPhone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sup4rfu8e  

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

First, I recommend not using your full name in a public space - please PM me with an alternative username if you’d like me to change it for you.

As to the reported issue, the diagnostics indicate that the memory reserved for indexing the Music Library is full, as the error in the app suggests.

65,000 is an approximation - if the tracks have more metadata than average, then the real limit would be lower than this number, but it seems unlikely that 13,000 tracks would have sufficient metadata to take up enough memory for 65,000!

For this reason, I would ask you to be entirely sure that there are only 13,000 tracks located in the music folder, and that the folder is only referenced to once in the Sonos app. I have seen instances whereby a user has accidentally duplicated their entire music collection with a simple slip of the mouse while the left button is being clicked (in the file/folder view).

If you’re still sure the error is erroneous, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, for some in-depth troubleshooting. I recommend a phone call.

I hope this helps.

Corry PS,

Thanks for your replies.

I too agree, 13,000 tracks couldn't possibly reach a memory limit so I did doublecheck both via the OS and ‘Get Info’ and also in Music by selecting the library and the UI gives you a summary: 13,232 track, 40.2 DAYS, 100.50 GB

Bizarrely, I did notice after several more attempts I eventually got a successful import. Clicking through, past Artists, Albums, etc… I see in ‘Imported Playlists’, there are literally hundreds of duplicates. i.e. over the years, I have created playlist ‘ABC’, I have approximately 20. They seem to be duplicated multiple times, with the file type ABC.m3u. Clicking on one, brings up the spinning wheel of death and a message, ‘Unable to browse music’ - obvs qu, how can I delete these?

Thanks for your response

--

BTW: Have DM’s you privately re: user name

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sup4rfu8e 

Playlists can be imported en-mass from an iTunes/Apple Music .xml file, or individually from actual playlist files such as .m3u or .pls. As .m3u files are reported, they will exist in the file system - I recommend performing a search of your music folder for these and removing them.

If you don’t find the files responsible, it could be that multiple, unsuccessful re-indexing attempts have created duplicates existing in Sonos’ library only. To get rid of these, I recommend removing all references to your music share - this should clear the index of all imported references - then add the share to Sonos once more. I recommend doing this with the macOS/Windows Desktop apps, but if you need to use iOS or Android, take a screenshot of the existing share for your reference.

Remove your music library

If you still can’t get rid of the duplicates, I recommend getting in touch with our technical support team by phone for some remote-access assistance.

I hope this helps.