No volume grouping in App anymore?

• 28 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi All, whenever I had both of my Sonos speakers active (Play: 1 & Play3) and I selected one in the app to adjust the volume, both units used to come up and you could adjust them separately. Now only one appears, I wonder if anyone else has had this issue? 

I'm using the original Sonos app, the new one is just a whole different nightmare. It says my products need an upgrade, but when I go to the old app, it says no upgrades are available. I don't care about the new app, it looks crap anyway, but I would like this volume issue sorted! 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Please be specific about which app you are using: What platform, S1 or S2, and version.

Grouping hasn’t changed in over a decade.

Hi, it says in my post ‘I'm using the original Sonos app’. Not the S1.

That may be a tad confusing to many of us. S1 is the original Sonos app, S2 is the ‘newer’ one. What color is your app’s icon? Also, @controlav asked about what device you’re running the app on. And the version number of the app itself.

As he says, grouping and volume hasn’t changed in a long time. For most, if not all users, clicking on the grouped speakers volume control will bring up the volume controls for the separate rooms. If your controller isn’t doing that, there is definitely an issue. I’d recommend checking both your Sonos devices for updates, followed by your Sonos controller. Hopefully, that might fix it, at least pending the details that @controlav asked for. 

Fair enough! I'm using what I would call the original App, which is a gold coloured Icon with just the word SONOS written through it.  For as long as I can, remember that's how it has looked, however, I understand that's actually the S2 App  (Why not just call it that Sonos FFS?)

Anyway - I have a Play:1 and a Play:3. Not the modern ones with Alexa and all that. The S1 App just doesn't work for me at all. When I it, I get a message saying that “some of my products need an update, and I should should open S2 App to get started”.  But, when I open the S2 App, there are no updates.

In the meantime, resetting my units, and the S2 App, has finally put the group back on the S2 App, so to all intents and purposes, my system is working again for now.

I spent many hours piddling around with it.  It's such a shame because the speakers and their sound is pretty much unrivalled, but the Sonos Apps and the connectivity is absolutely shocking. It's incredibly temperamental, and over the years I’ve likely spent more time trying to connect with the system that listening to it 😂

I do appreciate people taking the time to respond, so thank you all. 

How is it possible that we are going backwards.
the whole advantage of having Sonos is gone. I have speakers in every room and was able to perfectly balance the sound in each room. Now it is not possible anymore. I wonder sometimes who is doing those changes. Definitely not Sonos  users. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

How is it possible that we are going backwards.
the whole advantage of having Sonos is gone. I have speakers in every room and was able to perfectly balance the sound in each room. Now it is not possible anymore. I wonder sometimes who is doing those changes. Definitely not Sonos  users. 

What do you mean? If you group some rooms, they can be “master controlled” by the default volume slider. If you tap the slider, individual volume controls for each room in the group become available. Why can’t you “perfectly balance the sound in each room” from that?