Answered

No surround speakers via Plex TV app

• 3 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge

When playing music using the Plex app on my TV it sounds terrible -  almost as if I'm only hearing one channel and the system isn't sending any signal to the rear surround speakers.

The TV is brand new ULED Samsung.

In the 'About my System' section:

When its working properly from the Sonos app on my phone it says nothing regarding audio in. .

When playing from the problematic Plex TV app it says it's Dolby digital 2.0

I have a sonos beam and 2 x play ones (all gen2)

The audio is fine if played from Plex in the Sonos app from my phone.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 3 December 2023, 15:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

It’s the difference between TV mode and music mode. When playing music in stereo from the TV, the Beam will perform an audio up-mix of the stereo signal to create a simulated surround sound. This means you’ll still hear most audio out of the Beam, but the surround speakers will play what is determined to be ambient audio. And if the quality of the stereo audio is low, there will sometimes be little to no audio playing from the surrounds. If you want full stereo playback from the surrounds when streaming music, stream directly from the Sonos app or a music streaming app from your phone.

Also, when streaming music from your phone (music mode), the Sonos app will not display the audio format after “Audio In:” The format will only be displayed when the Beam is playing audio from the TV (TV mode).