"no selections available" error recurs repeatedly with no obvious cause

• 20 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Very often now when I open up Sonos and browse into my music library I see no content. It just says “no selections available.” I have reported this problem on the forum twice before without achieving a clear resolution, and the problem is becoming more frequent. To recap:

• Sonos system is up and running. It can play from Spotify.
  • My music library is on a Synology NAS, where it has been for years. I ran Sonos for a long time without trouble. This problem started surfacing late last year and has become more frequent.
  • No relevant messages appear in the error logs of either Sonos or Synology.
  • The first thing I check is always whether the music file share from Synology is actually accessible on the network. It always has been. I can browse to it from my Windows desktop and see all the files. I can log in to the Synology device portal with the credentials for the Sonos account I created there. No problem. It’s all working. The music files are there. 
  • I also check the Music Library settings in Sonos to be sure the path is still correct. It is.
  • The same symptom (“no selections are available”) occurs on three clients: my Windows desktop and two iOS devices.
  • My music collection does not exceed Sonos capacity limits.
  • I’m experimenting with two awkward workarounds.
    • Manage | Update music library now: if I run that, usually in about 10 minutes or so the content becomes accessible again. (I’ve always had Sonos configured to do that nightly at 2am, FWIW.)
    • Once I tried removing and re-adding my music folders in the Sonos Music Library Settings. That worked too.

So it appears that for some reason Sonos periodically decides it can’t reach my content, but if I ask it to try a little harder (by rescanning the library) then it decides that the content really is there after all.

Needless to say, this is very annoying behavior.

Sonos system details are below.

Associated Product: 192.168.1.88
---------------------------------
Connect: Library
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 16.1 (build 78151070)
Hardware Version: 1.22.1.4-1.1
Series ID: D100
WM: 1
Play:1: Living Room (L)
Hardware Version: 1.20.1.6-1.2
Series ID: A200
Play:1: Living Room (R)
Hardware Version: 1.20.1.6-1.2
Series ID: A200

5 replies

@Vinndalf,
You ideally need to go into further detail and explain how the NAS/Shared library is connected to the LAN and outline the network topology - make/model of router, switches and access points. Channels and channel-width for each WiFi band?

Also what mobile controller device is being used (make/model/OS version) and what software is running on the controller,  besides the Sonos App, (VPN client etc.)

Conversely, you could submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes of receiving this error, and call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you both. I will follow both your recommendations.

The Synology NAS has an ethernet connection to a Unifi US-8-150W switch, and that in turn is connected to a Unifi UDM Router. The router also has an ethernet connection to a Unifi access point, and that AP has a “mesh child” Unifi AP. All three of my Sonos devices connect to whichever one of those three APs they prefer at the moment. Currently all three are on the same AP (the mesh child). The Sonos Connect has a 2.4 GHz connection on channel 1 at 10 MHz. The Sonos Plays have connected at 5 GHz on channel 44 at 20 MHz. The Unifi dashboard currently rates the “WiFi Experience” of all three devices “Excellent (100%).”

This is how they’ve all been arranged for a few years now. I regularly stream TV through the mesh child AP.

I run the Sonos controller on three devices and all three exhibit the “no selections” problem at the same time. One of them is a Windows 11 desktop connected by ethernet. It is running version 16.1 of the Sonos Controller for PC. The other two devices are an iPad and an iPhone running the Sonos app. I consistently update the OS on all three devices whenever patches are available.

What other info would be useful?

Okay, here’s a document link for UniFi setup with Sonos that you may (hopefully) find should resolve your issues🤞….

https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc

Also see this manufacturers official link:

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/18930473041047-Best-Practices-for-Sonos-Devices

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you. I will investigate those documents, see what I can do, and report back--eventually. I think I can get to it next week, but it may be a while before I know if it made a difference.