Skip to main content

So far, I am having the same troubles as discussed in the following topic:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/connecting-to-updated-wifi-on-new-app-factory-reset-6903935?tid=6903935&fid=229131

This is happening since the new app version came in last May 2024, and I needed to move to another network.

In fact, since last June, I am using my Sonos system wired. This is terrible when you buy a device that tells you that they sell “the best wireless sound ever built”. Fortunately, only one device must be wired, as its own network do the rest.

I contacted Sonos assistance, and they guided me to factory reset, then I could start all my devices wirelessly without worries. Indeed, this is exactly what I don´t want to do, as I would lose all my configurations and so on. They also told me this situation would be solved soon in a new update, but until now nothing changed.

So, if I turn off the wired device, no Sonos work. If I try to guidance to update wifi, I stop in the second step, where the app asks to turn the bluetooth on at the devices. As far as my Sonos system is composed of the first devices lauched (playbar, sub, Play1), in that time there was no bluetooth at the devices. It means I cannot go further, and must keep wired. So why I paid extra for having a wireless sound system, that doesn’t work wireless anymore in just 10 years of use, because of an update problem? My grandfather is laughing of me with his 70’s sound system that still works perfectly today, of course with the limitations of sound quality from that period. But it seems that I am back 40-50 years just because of an update problem caused by someone else when coding.

Today I realized I could use the older Sonos app S1 to try to insert the network password, but unfortunately it didn’t work as I would need to downgrade my devices (again, would need the factory reset). At least this older app version recognizes my devices when I push the buttons, showing that it could be possible another way to update the wifi. However, if I had a newer device with bluetooth connection, this situation probably would be solved, as this would be part of the system. However, here in this country where I am living now, they don’t sell Sonos, perhaps I can buy another device when I am traveling. The question is, would I do that, with this kind of support experiences?

There are things that don’t need update every month. An update needs a lot of thinking to avoid any possibility of problems, especially in the most known characteristic of this brand. The Sonos quality can be vanished with bad experiences… Sonos must fix the sooner possible the Wi-Fi troubles when changing network, without factory reset, and without the need of only Bluetooth way.

Hi. There was certainly a time when a new network could be input for the products you have, without factory resetting. The article to which you refer does seem to imply that you would have to reset; I understand why you don't want to do that. 

Try the following.  I am not confident it will work but it's worth a. 

1. Power off all your Sonos except one. This should not be a Sub or surround.

2. In the Sonos app go to System Settings. Manage, Network, Update Networks. See if it will allow you to input the SSID and password of your new network.

3. If it does, then disconnect the Ethernet connection and make sure the speaker works wirelessly and your Sonos playlists, services etc are intact.

4. If they are, then factory reset your other devices as you power them back on, and add each to your system.

Good luck!

Further thoughts.

1 You might point out to your grandfather that your Sub and Play:1s are not wired to your Playbar or your  network. This gives you wireless surround sound. And if you wished you could put a Sonos speaker in every room of your home a d they would all connect wirelessly. I don't think his 70s gear would do that!

2. If your system worked wirelessly on your previous network then you could try changing your current SSID and password to those of the previous network.

Hi. There was certainly a time when a new network could be input for the products you have, without factory resetting. The article to which you refer does seem to imply that you would have to reset; I understand why you don't want to do that. 

Try the following.  I am not confident it will work but it's worth a. 

1. Power off all your Sonos except one. This should not be a Sub or surround.

2. In the Sonos app go to System Settings. Manage, Network, Update Networks. See if it will allow you to input the SSID and password of your new network.

3. If it does, then disconnect the Ethernet connection and make sure the speaker works wirelessly and your Sonos playlists, services etc are intact.

4. If they are, then factory reset your other devices as you power them back on, and add each to your system.

Good luck!

Hi John! Thanks for your guidance, but even that didn’t work.

I left only the Play1 on, and the attached ethernet cable. I am unsure if it didn’t work because it is part of the Home Theather system configuration in use (playbar, sub and 2 play1), but as the ethernet cable can only reach this play1, I tested this way. Or does your suggestion has another interpretation?

For me, it is obviously the problem is the way this new app controller was coded. It ONLY accept network management with the use of bluetooth connection. This is also why I am affraid of reseting my devices, and could not find them again with the new app. The older app version S1 had another ways, even the previoues than the current one had other forms, and it allowed us to connect to a sonos network connection, then when inside this connection the app was allowed to search and find the home network and input the password. Or even by connecting only one device to the ethernet cable, then it was easy to insert home network and password.

Someone from Sonos should hear what the community is trying to solve, they must need to “downgrade” their way of wireless management in the new app. Again, Sonos is recognized by their wireless quality service and in a very simple and easy way of use, but they put in the bin all the other forms, and now there is only one possibility with the bluetooth. I can see here as a key point to downgrade the way of thinking, accept there is a huge mistake with the new version, and get the things that work well and easy back.

Unfortunately I was completely affected because of the devices I have, probably I am part of only a fraction of Sonos consumers that cannot have access to new devices, so hearing me perhaps does not matter. Still, I would like the solluction… an official version… easy way… easy access...