Skip to main content
Question

No accessibility to personal music folders? What was Sonos thinking?

• 3 June 2024
  • 3 replies

Apparently Sonos has forgotten that they have a great number of audiophiles (like you, myself and others) that have a vast collection of  personal tracks that was on a variety of media types. Sonos seemed to be the centralizing solution that I needed to convert thousands of albums, tapes, CD’s and such under one roof. To me accessing these legacy tracks made Sonos the premiere hub source. Good thing I backed up those converted files on a network-attached storage drive, not to mention saving my legacy playback devices. I personally apologize to the hundreds of friends that I persuaded to try Sonos.

BTW, if it weren’t for the “dinosaurs and such” in the music and electronics field (like me, we wouldn’t have streaming audio. Sonos, fix this!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You convinced hundreds of friends to buy sonos? Holy crap I’m super impressed.

But You should call them all back and apologize a second time for leading them astray cause local music libraries are not gone, you probably just need to reconfigure it due to changes that Sonos made. The changes are super inconvenient and frankly it’s basically a beta app in terms of bugs and usability, but the local library option is still there.

Contact sonos support and they can walk you through adding it back.

Apparently Sonos has forgotten that they have a great number of audiophiles (like you, myself and others) that have a vast collection of  personal tracks that was on a variety of media types. Sonos seemed to be the centralizing solution that I needed to convert thousands of albums, tapes, CD’s and such under one roof. To me accessing these legacy tracks made Sonos the premiere hub source. Good thing I backed up those converted files on a network-attached storage drive, not to mention saving my legacy playback devices. I personally apologize to the hundreds of friends that I persuaded to try Sonos.

BTW, if it weren’t for the “dinosaurs and such” in the music and electronics field (like me, we wouldn’t have streaming audio. Sonos, fix this!

Sonos has not eliminated local libraries.  They did eliminate support for SMB v1 because of (questionable) security issues.  I suggest a search for “SMB v1” to guide you to the dozens of threads already discussing this issue, along with posts that describe in great detail how to fix it. 

As a Microsoft Certerfied Professional for over 28 years, I would agree with your assessment and the repair procedures per TechNet article MS17-010 on removing the role procedures . What I do not agree with is why Sonos etal has not informed me and other customers on the repair procedures. How lazy is that?