Skip to main content
Answered

New user - product unusable

• 26 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Just bought a Sonos Move brand new (on sale clearing out old stock). Unbox and plug it in per instructions, download app and run through setup then says setup is complete.

The app then says it found the speaker then says to needs to update. Everything to this point seems like it’s working, but then gives an error updating: “There was a problem checking for updates” no error codes or anything just that with a ‘try again’ button.

I click try again then it comes back with “We couldn’t update your Sonos Move. Check you network connection and try again later.

My network connection is fine, I’m a network engineer, everything else on the network works perfectly, but I know that sometime things get stuck and need a reboot to work sometimes. I reboot everything, reset everything, remove app and reload it, run through the entire process again and same deal. There’s no option to do anything else, I’m stuck in a loop with a worthless brick.

The only available button in the app is ’start update” which fails every time. This product seems like a lemon.

What else can I do before sending this brick back?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Download the desktop Sonos app for Windows or Mac, from the Sonos website. Run the system update from there instead, that is the usual cure. If it’s still struggling to do it via desktop, connect the speaker to the router by ethernet cable and run the system update again on the desktop app.

Once updated, you should then be able to use it via the phone app after that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Rhonny  it’s a move no ethernet port

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Rhonny  it’s a move no ethernet port

Thanks. I don’t own one so didn’t realise this usefulness had not been included on the Move. 

@cloudpants - the desktop Window or Mac advice still applies.

Thanks @Rhonny that did the trick. It defies belief that a company like Sonos can’t build a mobile app that works out of the box…