Skip to main content

new Sonos breaks multi-location setup

• 31 May 2024
  • 8 replies

I have three different Sonos setups at different locations that used to work with just one phone and one app - and the old app would automatically switch between the different systems.

The new app broke this. The new app appears to no longer support multiple physically separate Sonos systems on separate networks that are all linked to the same user ID/controller.

I tried to reset the devices at my office and re-add them, but that made matters worse. I now get “there was a problem linking ... to your account” and the speakers appear to be just bricks. Even after a total reset, I cannot re-add the speakers at all.

This may be the most incompetent consumer technology company in the history of mankind.

8 replies

I feel that.  I own an Audio/Video company and operate mostly in a vacation home community.  These new updates are frustrating.  Most of my clients have multiple homes and businesses...now I can't figure out how to make these systems recognize the system I setup and then travel to other locations and expect the system to work or recognize the move.

the only way I can get this new piece or crap sonos app to work at my three locations is to delete the app and reinstall. What a joke. And this hasn't been fixed yet months later???? 

At this point I am considering selling it all and moving on. 

I have started investigating the other systems out there. 

First they bricked my first Play 5s and now this. 

Same issue here. I talked w/ their support they confirmed that the multi house feature was removed in the new app. So frustrating.

I’m thinking about switching my other house to a different system and just use Sonos at my primary home.  Has anyone used Bluesound or have other recommendations for Sonos alternatives?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Use a third party app, they handle multiple systems seamlessly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@Bill_32 rather than rushing into a replacement system, using one of the 3rd party controllers may actually turn out to support everything you want.

If nothing else it should alleviate the frustration of not being able to use the devices in other locations with the official sonos app while you can investigate alternatives at your own pace.

Good idea. I’ve been skeptical of those, but now is probably the right time for me to test them out.

Same issues here, I hope we can roll back to the old app soon.

Same