Skip to main content
Question

New Sonos app update sucks! How can I down grade again

I just upgraded to the new version of the app.

I understand that it usually takes some time to get used to it. But my major way of listening to music is my local library. Not only can I not fast forward to where I need to go → used to be type a letter and you are there

Nor can I not search the library anymore.

Until you have this changed back or fixed please tell me how to downgrade the software

I’m a sonos user for more than a decade and I have thousands of dollars invested. Please let me use my music system again!!!!

Sonos does not need to look like Spotify!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

Userlevel 3

They hired Ryan from “The Office” to modernize the app.  It’s so modern that it is unusable for the things that many of us bought it for.  Maybe go back to the original engineers that designed a system to work instead of whatever this usability nightmare is that is just a veneer of confusion.

Sonos, please get back to what made your products amazing.  Make them bulletproof and flexible.  Fix this mess.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Words cannot express how disgusted I am with this “update”. It is an unmitigated disaster. I can’t do any of the things that I bought the Sonos system for 10 or 15 years ago. I cannot access my accumulated personal music library on my NAS. I cannot make playlists. I cannot retrieve any albums. This software is worse than useless. It is destructive. I will never trust Sonos again.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

And no timer? WTF?

I keep coming back to the forums to see if anyone has found anything redeeming with this update.  Nobody has, not one person.  I simply can’t believe how bad this is, did anyone at Sonos actually test this nonsense?  It’s like when awful movies get released and flop you ask yourself, “did anyone actually watch this movie?  Did people applaud at the end and say, “now that’s a winner”? 

How can this company be so poorly managed?

I keep coming back to the forums to see if anyone has found anything redeeming with this update.  Nobody has, not one person.  I simply can’t believe how bad this is, did anyone at Sonos actually test this nonsense?  It’s like when awful movies get released and flop you ask yourself, “did anyone actually watch this movie?  Did people applaud at the end and say, “now that’s a winner”? 

How can this company be so poorly managed?

I think it’s rather silly to think it was not tested.  The most obvious cause of this fiasco was the app was released with many flaws due to an executive level decision to meet a desired release date.  More than likely tied to new hardware being released before the end of the fiscal year. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

If you want to prevent the app update from loading on your devices:

Turn off automatic updates

iOS:

https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-auto-update-iphone-5206079 

Android:

https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-automatic-updates-on-android-5192496#toc-how-to-turn-off-automatic-app-updates-on-an-android-phone 

(Scroll a bit further to next section titled "Stop Automatic Updates for Specific Apps")

Agree. The update is awful and painful.. aside from other issues already identified, I have multiple groups of speakers in various locations throughout my home. It is now difficult to navigate through them.

I hope they are seeing these posts and are responsive. I haven’t seen anything yet.

Please go back to last revision, I can’t even use my system… 4 Sonos speakers a roam a move 2 sound bars not even usable!! Wasted money!!!! I bet the so called people that thought they were improving the app DON’T EVEN USE IT AT HOME… if it ain’t broke no need to  fix it.. WTF?!

just adding my name to those that are abandoning Sonos.  nothing but problems since last two updates; this recent one seals it.  worst system; worst customer service; worst app update in history

done

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Here’s what the “improved” Sonos iPad app looks like:

I completely agree that Sonos have totally ruined the user experience for all, just crazy. I have 2 questions, one, if you move away from Sonos what are alternatives? What else is better! And does anybody know a thread for downgrading back to the app that worked!! ?? 

Help!!!

Weith the new app, we cannot get our Arc to connect to the subwoofer and our other speakers.

This is awful.  We are a Sonos house and this has killed it…does anyone have updates for IOS?

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Still cannot play local music library - error 913 every time I try to add it.

Web app will not play anything or connect to my devices.

Tried to downgrade to an older controller and it says my system is not compatible. 

Ability to add local music libraries has gone from mid-June to sometime in July now. 

This is such a joke. Amateur hour. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I completely agree that Sonos have totally ruined the user experience for all, just crazy. I have 2 questions, one, if you move away from Sonos what are alternatives? What else is better! And does anybody know a thread for downgrading back to the app that worked!! ?? 

Intermediate solutions:

• Plex Server - for music library
  • SonoPad / SonoPhone for iOS controller.  It works about as well as the S2 controller
  • Android rollback to S2 controller - search for it
  • Desktop app so far still works

Alternatives:

• Bluesound
  • Roon
  • Wiim
  • Heos
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Tried to downgrade to an older controller and it says my system is not compatible. 

Ability to add local music libraries has gone from mid-June to sometime in July now. 

July!?!??!! Two months to rectify poorly rolled out app!? Wish I could afford to replace all Sonos products with something else but I sure won’t be replacing when they stop working. Destroyed any brand loyalty 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

July!?!??!! Two months to rectify poorly rolled out app!? Wish I could afford to replace all Sonos products with something else but I sure won’t be replacing when they stop working. Destroyed any brand loyalty 

The CEO is out there saying that we’ll learn to love the new app, and these are just growing pains. It’s more like phantom pains after an amputation because we have lost so much basic functionality. So out of touch.