Skip to main content
Question

New Sonos app update sucks! How can I down grade again

I just upgraded to the new version of the app.

I understand that it usually takes some time to get used to it. But my major way of listening to music is my local library. Not only can I not fast forward to where I need to go → used to be type a letter and you are there

Nor can I not search the library anymore.

Until you have this changed back or fixed please tell me how to downgrade the software

I’m a sonos user for more than a decade and I have thousands of dollars invested. Please let me use my music system again!!!!

Sonos does not need to look like Spotify!

Sonos update is a disaster. My playlists are all gone. Had company over so only tried restarting everything which did no good. Figured I'd just grab some albums and put them in the queue. Nope. You can only play an album, a song or all albums from an artist. The play now or play next and add to end of queue options are all gone. The update has taken away everything I use it for. 

New Sonos app is making listening miserable. Clicking play or pause has a 10 second delay. I’m just air playing to speakers and not using the Sonos app. Sonos needs to fix this asap!

Even worse…. Beta testing basically never happened for this version. Last beta closed a month or so ago and it for sure wasn’t this version. 

it is an Interesting developer choice for sure. And frustrating for the beta community who donates their time to provide feedback….. for what?!

🤦🏻

Do tell more. Is this version actually worse than the last beta? 

Wow. Just wow. What the heck is going on at Sonos? One of the main reasons I purchased their amps is for the App. The App is virtually unusable to me now. Are their developers a bunch of 13 year olds with no supervision? Who ever was behind this disaster should be released and replaced immediately. As a software developer for 40 years you don’t roll out an update with this many problems and then plan to fix them later. You test and fix them offline and when you are sure they work then you deploy the update. This screwup is epic. 

For iOS you can get the old app back if you use an old iOS device that hasn’t been updated for a while. I just did it on an old iPad that will no longer take iOS updates. 

I think you have to have at least iOS 16 running for the Sonos update so if you’ve got something older then you should get the option of downloading the previous ‘gold’ app from the App Store 

Please please please Sonos, just allow us to roll back to the previous app.

This is not a question of getting “used” to a new app.  This so called upgrade actually lost functionality.  No ability (from what I’ve seen) to manage alarms on the android mobile app.  You can manage alarms on the desktop it seems.  

There is no volume percentage displayed, only a slider.  This can be probematic in a business setting.  I would love for people to post detailed instructions for how to go back to the previous version.  This is very disappointing.  SONOS MAKE THIS RIGHT!  

Deliberate act against the customer base 

I hate this new app. Seriously no alarm function? Why the f did they not say that with downloading the new app that key functionality would disappear. Hate this! 

A new S2 update was released today. I don’t know if that update will somehow give me the new version of Sonos, which I absolutely don’t want because I have over 30K songs in my music library so a lot of listening is done from there. Or if it’s a harmless S2 update. Does anyone know?

Just found Sonos S1 Controller in Apple App store

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/sonos-s1-controller/id293523031

wants me to downgrade all products which I might try when I have time. Want to make sure it’ll find my music library on NAS first though. Spent hours on this so far, shouldn’t need to after the amount of money invested. 

It is absolute trash!!!! 

takes like 3 minutes for the volume to change! Not user friendly! What in the actual hell…

Please give me back the old app, this is torture Sonos!!

They should at least let us roll back the app. 

Heard!

A new S2 update was released today. I don’t know if that update will somehow give me the new version of Sonos, which I absolutely don’t want because I have over 30K songs in my music library so a lot of listening is done from there. Or if it’s a harmless S2 update. Does anyone know?

Stay away from it if you can - it will deprive you from everything you ever liked.

Wow. Just wow. What the heck is going on at Sonos? One of the main reasons I purchased their amps is for the App. The App is virtually unusable to me now. Are their developers a bunch of 13 year olds with no supervision? Who ever was behind this disaster should be released and replaced immediately. As a software developer for 40 years you don’t roll out an update with this many problems and then plan to fix them later. You test and fix them offline and when you are sure they work then you deploy the update. This screwup is epic. 

I guess they have read a book about Design Thinking and decided to try it out...

Even worse…. Beta testing basically never happened for this version. Last beta closed a month or so ago and it for sure wasn’t this version. 

it is an Interesting developer choice for sure. And frustrating for the beta community who donates their time to provide feedback….. for what?!

🤦🏻

Do tell more. Is this version actually worse than the last beta? 

There was a person saying that they participated in a beta - but none of their concerns were listened to.

Guys, this is a bit over dramatic here!

Sure, last upgrade sucks and I will revert to previous version. But it doesn't mean anything about hardware, which is still good. We need to ne constructive. 

New UX are bad sometimes. What really matters is Sonos reaction. They should restore back to previous version and create a S3. Personally, I'm used to S2 and see no point to change. S2 is not very intuitive but once you are used to, it's solid. 

Current is not good at all. Sonos playlist are now mixed with sonos favorites... I want an easy access to playlists, which is my main source of streaming. 

​Alarm and sleep timer are critical too. 

But even then, it feels less intuitive than before, and it was supposed to be an UX redesigned. 

I hope they will listen to feedbacks 😀

This is a crap update, nothing works, and everybody knows it.

First off, it is much slower to load a selection and start playing music. At times I select a favorite and it takes a long time to load.  Once loaded I need a second press to play the selection.  So the app added a second and unnecessary click.  Not a good design!

It takes up to a minute to even start… You can do nothing with it until it has … whatever - comunicated with Sonos or a partner? -  and then, even, it will not respond in any resonable way.

This is genuinly a terrible app. And it has been mandated by a terrible management.

I understand it takes time to get used to an app. With this release you just keep looking and looking for the functionality you had. The new version is not intuitive, not user friendly and honestly the first time in life I am scrambling to downgrade.

Finding your way in this upgrade is just time consuming, frustrating and maddening. Whoever approved this should be fired.

I’m so frustrated with the new app. It’s visually noisy, too much on a small phone screen at once. Having to swipe to bring up menus is just crap. After you press three buttons to get to the EQ settings the sliders do nothing, I have to use my iPad which still has the old app installed to change settings. The volume sliders stick when you try to adjust them. Even without the bugs and missing features it’s a just a poor user experience. Sonos have lost their minds.

The new app has disconnected every sonos product I own. The only one still working is my play bar because it’s directly connected to the tv and router. My boost which has the other products connected to it is useless. Amazon music won’t play from any of my products now. If they don’t fix it soon I won’t purchase another item from them. 

Same here sadly. And I was thinking of getting more speakers. I think a coupe are under warranty. I’ll return them and suffer with the soundbar and look for a new system - f*** Sonos. 

The new app has disconnected every sonos product I own. The only one still working is my play bar because it’s directly connected to the tv and router. My boost which has the other products connected to it is useless. Amazon music won’t play from any of my products now. If they don’t fix it soon I won’t purchase another item from them. 

Same here sadly. And I was thinking of getting more speakers. I think a coupe are under warranty. I’ll return them and suffer with the soundbar and look for a new system - f*** Sonos. 

I just bought the Port, now returning it, and I had in my plans to “upgrade” my two older Sonos devices to new ones - something like a set of an Arc and two speakers plus another device. But none of that now, where Sonos has decided to kill the dream.

But they will no doubt still tell at the board meetings how this is “tough but necessary”, like they did under the S1/S2 crisis.

I just took an hour getting all this info for others, and after hitting edit, I am told I can’t edit my own response… ugh.. trying again, but much shorter…

This is for Android Phones

1.  Delete Sonos App: go to app info, force stop, clear cache, uninstall. You have to do this before trying to install older version.
  2. Find out your CPU architecture/ABIs (armeabi-v7a or arm64-v8a) with Phone Info or similar app on phone under CPU or related tab in other app 

3. Find old version of Sonos App: Use APKMirror (website through your phone browser, not the APKMirror App - that doesn’t work for this). Search SONOS and find version March 12, 2024 or earlier as you choose, just not anything from May. There are 2 variants, so choose the right one - either armeabi-v7a or, more likely for newer phones, arm64-v8a .
  4. Download and approve install of the variant you downloaded (security will likely require that you choose to allow the install as it is a sideload (not through PlayStore). It’s a risk, but APKMirror has good rep and if you want an older version of SONOS App, unless and until they un-muck this up, it’s a chance I was willing to take. 

You can get more help at Android Police Rollback Android Apps. 

This worked for me without issues. Hope it helps others. 

I tried this and was able to install the older version. However when going to add back my network music library which was working before, it prevents me and says need to upgrade else may lose functionality!! What the hell?!

I lost access my entire music library painstakingly assembled over the past decade. I contacted “support” and

they are sorry for the “inconvenience”. This is a disaster. No access to my library, no playlists…

What happened to testing software before releasing? And no way to roll back to the app that actually functions?

What are viable alternatives to Sonos?

Sonos needs to go back to the drawing board with a different team. This is a huge step backwards.