Skip to main content
Answered

New Sonos app only shows last 30 episodes of a podcast

• 20 May 2024
  • 7 replies

I listen to BBC Sounds podcasts via my Play:3 speakers. Since the new iOS app update, the app only lists the most recent 30 episodes of a BBC Sounds podcast (not sure if this is the same for other sources). 

This means I cannot listen to old episodes of podcasts via my Sonos system, something I could do with the previous S2 app.

Can Sonos explain why this limitation has been introduced please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I saw this too recently (though now all my Shows/Podcasts have disappeared in the new iOS app update, and TuneIn for podcast reauthorization is just hanging). Do we no longer have access to the old shows?

Typical Sonos ! Mess everything up before testing and then leave everyone to get on with it.  massively frustrating will never buy another Sonos product as long as I live they take your money and screw you very very disappointing

I listen to BBC Sounds podcasts via my Play:3 speakers. Since the new iOS app update, the app only lists the most recent 30 episodes of a BBC Sounds podcast (not sure if this is the same for other sources). 

This means I cannot listen to old episodes of podcasts via my Sonos system, something I could do with the previous S2 app.

Looks like it's the same on Android - 30 speed limit!  The limit just has to be arbitrary - no rhyme nor reason.  That's the Sonos way. 

Looks like it's the same on Android - 30 speed limit!  The limit just has to be arbitrary - no rhyme nor reason.  That's the Sonos way. 

Ah-ha!  Sonos is not guilty!  It looks as if it's the clunky Sounds implementation. (I'll check elsewhere - hang on) 

Using Pocket Casts, then the podcast episodes extend way beyond 30.   

Checked using Sounds on another streaming system, and there's no limit restriction. 

So, it's down to how Sounds is implemented in Sonos.  Probably, a BBC 'feature'. 

Ah-ha!  Sonos is not guilty!  It looks as if it's the clunky Sounds implementation. (I'll check elsewhere - hang on) 

Thanks for this. The old Sonos app would let you see all podcast episodes via the BBC Sounds service, but the new one doesn’t, so it’s something in the Sonos app that’s changed rather than BBC Sounds.

As you point out, though, you can see all the podcast episodes in the Sonos app via the PocketCasts service, which is a useful workaround.

I’d still like to see the old BBC Sounds functionality restored as I have no need for PocketCasts otherwise.

Thanks for this. The old Sonos app would let you see all podcast episodes via the BBC Sounds service, but the new one doesn’t, so it’s something in the Sonos app that’s changed rather than BBC Sounds.

As you point out, though, you can see all the podcast episodes in the Sonos app via the PocketCasts service, which is a useful workaround.

I’d still like to see the old BBC Sounds functionality restored as I have no need for PocketCasts otherwise.

It's often a mix between the service originator and Sonos.  Sonos will likely claim it's the Beeb's fault in how they program the api. 

I'd try contacting the BBC first, because I think Sonos are overwhelmed.  Good luck.