Skip to main content
Question

New SONOS App has removed Windows music library and won't let me re-add it!

I’ve updated SONOS on my Android phone. The new app is awful compared to the old one and has so many bugs, as noted by customers on this site minute-by-minute over the past week or so.

I’ve also updated my SONOS app on my Windows 11 computer. This is where I have my music library. The update removed the library. I tried to re-add it, and it came up with Error 913. I can’t access the music library…..I can’t use SONOS for what I bought it for!!!! Frustrated doesn’t go anywhere near how I feel right now. I’m not an I.T. Test Analyst. Neither have I volunteered to be a BETA tester for SONOS. But my investment in SONOS equipment has been destroyed by this update. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I am using a Buffalo LS210D400 network drive.  Never had any problem with connecting my music library to Sonos.  At first, after I installed the new app, my music library was still there.  But now, after the latest update or two, it is gone.  Sonos app simply won’t connect to anything on my network, including my NAS.  This is total garbage.  Maybe it will be fixed some day, but am I supposed to sit around for a month or two with no music, after laying out a lot of money for a whole-house Sonos system?

Obviously, no Sonos administrators are reading these posts.  If they were, they would have notified all of us about the problem, solution, and timeframe.  The only thing they understand is money.  Don’t buy any Sonos products for as long as possible unless you have too.  A loss of sales is the only thing they will understand.

I’ve updated SONOS on my Android phone. The new app is awful compared to the old one and has so many bugs, as noted by customers on this site minute-by-minute over the past week or so.

I’ve also updated my SONOS app on my Windows 11 computer. This is where I have my music library. The update removed the library. I tried to re-add it, and it came up with Error 913. I can’t access the music library…..I can’t use SONOS for what I bought it for!!!! Frustrated doesn’t go anywhere near how I feel right now. I’m not an I.T. Test Analyst. Neither have I volunteered to be a BETA tester for SONOS. But my investment in SONOS equipment has been destroyed by this update. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I agree with Simple Guy….I cannot add my music library to Sonos anymore...so the software is worthless. Luckily Roon still recognizes my Sonos Beam and I can play my library no problem using Roon.

This is either a calculated step to a new technical environment that Sonos plans to introduce or a bungled software development release that did not include customer requirements or adequate regression testing if personal hosted iTunes was a known customer requirement. The best way to get product development’s attention is to write the board of director chairman. His address is below.

Mr. Julius Genachowski

Chairman Board of Directors

Sonos Corporation Inc.

614 Chapala Street

Santa Barbara, CA 93101

It’s 6/4/24 @ 7:15 PM Florida and just got a new Sonos update build 79153290.  After installing, still no music library.  This company sucks.  My Sonos has been sitting idle for weeks because I can’t access music on my hard drive.

I tried as well. Totally bogus. I’m moving to J River.

Temporary work around until these idiots fix the app. On my Windows 11 computer I have iTunes. I can stream music from my iTunes library to my Yamaha receiver that switches to Air-Play. From there I can select the speakers from the Sonos app. Real pain in the ass but it’s a temporary solution. You’re only streaming from the music that is in iTunes, not a music library on your hard drive.

Sonos, YOU SUCK!

Temporary work around until these idiots fix the app. On my Windows 11 computer I have iTunes. I can stream music from my iTunes library to my Yamaha receiver that switches to Air-Play. From there I can select the speakers from the Sonos app. Real pain in the ass but it’s a temporary solution. You’re only streaming from the music that is in iTunes, not a music library on your hard drive.

Sonos, YOU SUCK!

You are obviously one of the users affected by Sonos dropping SMB v1 support.  Have you tried any of the numerous threads that address this problem, or are you just here to rant and insult?

See these:

Simple answer:

Far more comprehensive:

Sonos has not come out with any suggestions for a workaround.  If you have any information using Windows Powershell to correct an SMBv1 or upgrading to SMBv2 you should post it here.  Most people here have never heard of SMBv2/3.   Disabling SMBv1 and enabling SMBv2 is not something Windows people are even aware of.  I’m not sure what happens if I disable v1 and enable v2.  Hoping that is does not take down my OS.

If you have any inside info, you should post it here with clear directions for people that have never heard of PowerShell.

Sonos has not come out with any suggestions for a workaround.  If you have any information using Windows Powershell to correct an SMBv1 or upgrading to SMBv2 you should post it here.  Most people here have never heard of SMBv2/3.   Disabling SMBv1 and enabling SMBv2 is not something Windows people are even aware of.  I’m not sure what happens if I disable v1 and enable v2.  Hoping that is does not take down my OS.

If you have any inside info, you should post it here with clear directions for people that have never heard of PowerShell.

Who said anything about Powershell?  In the post right above yours, I replied with two links that give step by step solutions.  I suggest you try those (no Powershell needed). And no, disabling SMB v1 is no threat to your operating system. 

Who said anything about Powershell?  In the post right above yours, I replied with two links that give step by step solutions.  I suggest you try those (no Powershell needed). And no, disabling SMB v1 is no threat to your operating system. 

It may or may not have anything to do with SMB v1. The update broke my direct folder share on Windows 11 even though I already had SMB v1 disabled. 

Just got off phone with Sonos tech support.  Until new version is released, he set up access to my music library as a NAS drive.   Had to add another user and made multiple changes that took quite a while.  Made changes to my antivirus firewall.  When sharing the music folder he shared it to the fictious person he created, not Sonos Wireless WiFi System.  Over 30 minutes making changes that didn’t work, then correcting them to a point that is hard to follow all the changes.  We talked about the new version and how it would go back to adding the music library the original easy way.   Music is back until the next insane version update.

If you’re going crazy with this like me you’ll have to call.  They do have call-back service.

Just got off phone with Sonos tech support.  Until new version is released, he set up access to my music library as a NAS drive.   Had to add another user and made multiple changes that took quite a while.  Made changes to my antivirus firewall.  When sharing the music folder he shared it to the fictious person he created, not Sonos Wireless WiFi System.  Over 30 minutes making changes that didn’t work, then correcting them to a point that is hard to follow all the changes.  We talked about the new version and how it would go back to adding the music library the original easy way.   Music is back until the next insane version update.

If you’re going crazy with this like me you’ll have to call.  They do have call-back service.

This method was spelled out in the links that @jgatie gave you.

To fix, use a PC to share your music:

To share a folder or drive in Windows by doing the following:

1. Right-click the folder or drive you want to share
  2. Select Properties
  3. Select the Sharing tab
  4. Select Advanced Sharing
  5. Select Share this folder
  6. Enter the share name, the maximum number of users, and any comments
  7. Select Permissions to grant access to specific groups or individuals
  8. If you're using NTFS, check the permissions in the Security tab to ensure they allow access to the share

Close your Sonos app, force stop the app, open the app back up, give it 5 to 10 minutes for your network to see the computer share you just created.
In the area of the Sonos app where you see TV you should now see your share.
Tap into the share and you should see your music on your computer.

I’ve fixed mine after talking to support, but this is not something for the average user.  I hope there’s an easier way, as I found it a bit of a chore, and I work on computers all day.  Here’s how I did it in windows 11..

1. Make sure SMBv1 is disabled by doing the following:
  2. Launch the Control Panel by typing Control Panel in the Windows search box.
  3.  Click Programs in the list and then select Turn Windows features on or off under Programs and Features.
  4.  Ensure there is no checkmark in the box next to both SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and SMB 1.0/CIFS Server.
  5. If you had to disable it, it may require a reboot after you deselect, and hit OK.  Mine fortunately wasn’t selected.
  6. Create a share on the folder that your music is in, and give a user permission to use it.
  7. I created a local user using instructions from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d   But apparently you can use the user you’re logged in as (I couldn’t, it didn’t work for me).
  8. With a user ready, right click the folder containing music and select Properties
  9. Select the Sharing Tab
  10. Hit the Share button, and make sure the user you want to use is in the list with at least Read access, and hit the Share button.
  11. Back on the sharing tab, it will show the name of the share as \\<computer name>\Music      (or whatever the share name is (mine was called TheLibrary))  Hit Apply.
  12. This share name is what you type in the sonos app when you are adding your music library.
  13. fin

What a nightmare.  

Thanks, peterlip. I followed these steps (the Windows share for my music folder offered my email as an option and accepted it readily), then closed and restarted Sonos - still no music library. I went to library settings and tried to add my music folder but got the same 913 error as before.

Same with me 913. Win11, MacAfee. Nothing else should be causing problems.

Everyone has good ideas but I was on with tech support for a long time and he left the check mark in SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.  There appears that several steps that are missing.  It was difficult to follow while he was clicking away.  He also had to change the firewall options.  You will have to call like I did and the temporary solution is to set up your music files on a NAS drive.  

Imagine people new to Sonos going through this insanity.  I asked him how many people have called about this issue and he said, “your the first one.”  I can’t believe that because he knew exactly what to do. 

Grateful for the suggestions here and elsewhere for workarounds, but having to waste my time trying to fix something that has been deliberately broken by the manufacturer is not why I buy a product. Cannot get the desktop version to work properly any more either ("update required/update failed/you are up to date" forever). Even unable to access some radio stations that I enjoyed previously.

Just imagine if our other tech products required this sort of effort just to make them work as they had previously. I guess it's a good thing that Sonos don't make cars.

PS. Those new headphones must be selling really well to existing customers.

I hope you go out of business Sonos! I hate you for this. 

I work for a software company and the number one rule is to NEVER get rid of major functionality when upgrading the application. The #2 rule is after a disastrous update, ROLL IT BACK! 

Sonos brand has been proven to be total disappointment. Never again into same trap.

Have they issued an update yet???? I uninstalled the app and reinstalled, but I still can’t access my music library.  It’s June 17….where is the update that was promised??? Or am I missing something?

If I am in the wrong, somebody PLEASE tell me! I MISS MY MUSIC!

Have they issued an update yet???? I uninstalled the app and reinstalled, but I still can’t access my music library.  It’s June 17….where is the update that was promised??? Or am I missing something?

If I am in the wrong, somebody PLEASE tell me! I MISS MY MUSIC!

The June 13th update comprised:

Introduced mute button
Added numerical values to the volume and group-volume sliders
Improved TalkBack screen reader support for volume sliders
Expanded support for service reauthorization

...so no, our music libraries remain inaccessible via Sonos for many of us.

I have decided that I should not waste any more time trying to make the features that were advertised when I bought Sonos and which previously functioned work. I am fortunate in that my investment is small compared to many others and while I cannot even get the Windows desktop version to find my library or the app to play some radio stations that I previously enjoyed I feel that there are enough other stressful things in life without adding this absurd situation to them.

I'll keep updating in the hope that things get back to the way that they were -which was not without issues; perhaps it would have been useful to have addressed those- but for now I just use alternatives. Sonos appears to have made the "brave" decision to relegated itself to the scrapyard of technology, but as I cannot do anything about it I am going to stop fretting over this (wholly unnecessary) situation. Even if they do get the present defects rectified, given their stone deaf attitude I'm sure that something similar will only happen again anyway 

PS. Offering existing customers a 15% discount on additional products when many cannot get their existing equipment to work says it all really.

My soundbar just bit the dust after 10 years and simply cannot justify the expense of replacing it with another Sonos item. I am ready to make the switch to another system and take the hit for replacing other components as well. But what system delivers the functionality that Sonos USED to have- but is t app dependent? 

Sonos, YOU SUCK!

You are obviously one of the users affected by Sonos dropping SMB v1 support.  Have you tried any of the numerous threads that address this problem, or are you just here to rant and insult?

See these:

Simple answer:

Far more comprehensive:

How rude. Many of us, including myself, have tried all of those things and still can't access our music libraries. We have every right to rant and insult.

Moderator edit: Please note that you have no right to insult whatsoever - doing so is against the Community guidelines.