Skip to main content

New SONOS App - Alarms

App has been upgraded,  We onlu have IOS no access to Mac or Windows,

Lost ability to use alarms etc 

Can we reverse upgrade and go back?

New app is awful! so user non friendly 

Where’s the alarm feature on the app. Can’t seem to find it on this new update or did they get rid of it?

They I think mistakenly deleted it in the redesign, but sorry only a little, as promises of a reinstall is on its way. Time taken will be a major factor in restoring confidence. 

Thank you for the information on the alarms. I reinstalled the app and the alarms appeared on system settings> manage, for a few minutes,  but they have now disappeared again. 
Also my playlists on Qobuz have disappeared- everything else on Qobuz is there.  And the playlists are still on the old version of the app. 

I don’t know what to say other than there is a pretty big update coming and if you have highlighted the issues your having and they are substantial enough for a code redesign then they should be observant to customers and add this. I made my issue perfectly clear. No alarm no Sonos. Justifiably simple basic function. 

I updated to the latest version of the app, still no alarm function. I really don’t understand who thought that it would be a good idea to not include the alarm function in the app at Sonos… please bring this function back as soon as possible. 

Alarms are back

you will find it by;

Update the firmware

update the app

restart the app, then go to 

system settings/ manage/ alarms

Nonsense, alarms are maybe visible, but not working. 
And besides, it is as well no more possible to play multiple content in different rooms. What an unbelievable miscalculation to call the latest update an upgrade. 

Not sure whether this has been mentioned elsewhere (far too many complaints to read them all), but am I right in thinking that System-Manage is only available to a logged in “system owner”?

If so, how is anyone who is not the system owner supposed to use alarms?

I’m not touching my device firmware just in case it bricks my currently working v16 desktop app, so can’t (and won’t) check for myself.

Tried the new alarm in S3

S2 favorites do not work, and it appears favorites are needed if you want to play music.

If you create a new S3 favorite (in my case a SiriusXM channel), then the alarm will properly play music.

Where in the hell are the alarms?  They were restored and have now disappeared again.  God, I hate Sonos right now.

New app destroy Sonos use. Very bad, if you make off one speaker, he became ghost forever. No alarm, a lot of delay, a lot of confusion. Very very very bad

And what is Sonos going to do???

I hope new upgrade, the last one is not complete

And now every time I exit the app on my Android phone, when I open it back up it forces me to "update." So I have to go through that process, even though there are no updates.  The app is wonky and it takes forever to open, even when it tries to behave.  

Alarms are there but…...they only play in a single room now.  I’ve lost the ability to select a group and have the alarm start playing on all speakers in that group.  The Include Grouped Rooms option doesn’t include all grouped rooms.  When I open the app to select my ALL grouped room, the app doesn’t recognize that anything is even playing.  I can’t add rooms, I can’t stop the music, I can’t adjust the volume.  Nothing. If I open and close the app multiple times, it might start recognizing that something was playing and finally start responding to changes.  The lag time is awful.  It took 3 minutes for it to respond to a volume change.  Overall, this app upgrade is actually WORSE than what we had before.  Not only did it not address the lack of responsiveness and the poor connectivity but we lost all of the features that made the system useful and enjoyable despite those shortcomings.  In the future, maybe actually USING the app before you roll it out would have alerted you to the many many many shortcomings it has.  

Hi all,

With the latest update, alarms are now available in the Sonos app. You’ll need the latest version of the Sonos app and speaker firmware to have them show, and steps are posted in the Sonos App Redesign AMA, which are:

1. Update your app to:
    1. iOS: 80.00.08 - available now in the App Store
    2. Android: 80.00.05 - available now in the Play Store
  2. Update your firmware to 79.0-52294 - available now via the Sonos App:
    1. Tap the settings gear in the top right
    2. Select “Manage” next to your system name
    3. Select System Updates
    4. Select Check for Updates
  3. Launch the Sonos app twice in order to guarantee we fetch the latest feature flags:
    1. Start the Sonos app
    2. Force quit the app
    3. Start the Sonos app again

Once you’ve performed the above, you’ll find alarms in the Sonos app under System Settings (⚙️) → Manage → Alarms.

You can view the current roadmap on our article for Future Feature Updates in the New Sonos App and also in the Release Notes for Sonos software updates.

If you have any further feedback to share, please continue to share it the main topic for the New Sonos App linked below or any relevant threads on the community:

Thank you for adding back the alarm function. Now, my big beef is the fact that you removed the ability to play music directly from music folders on my phone. You've forced us to use a shared external storage device. WHY!?

Hi all,

With the latest update, alarms are now available in the Sonos app. You’ll need the latest version of the Sonos app and speaker firmware to have them show, and steps are posted in the Sonos App Redesign AMA, which are:

1. Update your app to:
    1. iOS: 80.00.08 - available now in the App Store
    2. Android: 80.00.05 - available now in the Play Store
  2. Update your firmware to 79.0-52294 - available now via the Sonos App:
    1. Tap the settings gear in the top right
    2. Select “Manage” next to your system name
    3. Select System Updates
    4. Select Check for Updates
  3. Launch the Sonos app twice in order to guarantee we fetch the latest feature flags:
    1. Start the Sonos app
    2. Force quit the app
    3. Start the Sonos app again

Once you’ve performed the above, you’ll find alarms in the Sonos app under System Settings (⚙️) → Manage → Alarms.

You can view the current roadmap on our article for Future Feature Updates in the New Sonos App and also in the Release Notes for Sonos software updates.

If you have any further feedback to share, please continue to share it the main topic for the New Sonos App linked below or any relevant threads on the community:

Thank you for adding back the alarm function. Now, my big beef is the fact that you removed the ability to play music directly from music folders on my phone. You've forced us to use a shared external storage device. WHY!?

Amen.  Sonos has completely failed us.  

Hi all,

With the latest update, alarms are now available in the Sonos app. You’ll need the latest version of the Sonos app and speaker firmware to have them show, and steps are posted in the Sonos App

Alarm clocks have been reintroduced, but still not 100% functional, they do not display the selected song/station, compared to the S1 many options are missing, and they do not seem to work with groups, the time works correctly for me, but many users report alarm activations at wrong time, probably linked to the reference to the time zone.
Stop messing around and wasting time, after 10 days it works worse and worse, let us rollback to go back to S1 or S2.

Comparison of alarm settings between the old S1 and the new SONOS or rather NOSON.

Compared to the S1, the snooze settings are missing, in the new one the indication of the selected playlist is also missing, you have to select the item to see it, and in the case of mytuner it does not repost the selected station, not even by expanding the item (even old S2 show correct station name.
In Italian the translation of setting is missed.
I would advise SONOS experts to at least try using the previous S1 before drooling over illustrating the wonders of the new one. And by letting new developers try it, they might just get some good ideas. You can play find the differences.
As far as I'm concerned, don't bother with new features that I'll never use, just let me bring back my S1 system and I'll never bother you again.

The change to playing ‘from this device’ has nothing to do with this update, but instead was forced upon Sonos, originally several years ago by Apple, and more recently by Google (Android). Both those companies consider use of their mobile devices as a drive to be a security issue. This is also why Lock Screen widgets went away.

Depending on your Sonos devices, you can get around this lock out by Apple/Google by either using AirPlay 2 or Bluetooth, in which the player is on the mobile device, and skips using the player on the Sonos device. Unfortunately, not all Sonos devices have this capability, although the newest ones do.  

SONOS: If you value your customer loyalty at all, you will fix your updated app or give us back the old one! The “new, redesigned” app has rendered our systems practically unusable! 

I don’t see any option to set alarms. My App doesn’t show my speakers. Sometimes yes sometimes not. It seems to be a matter of luck.

no option to update firmware. The new update is worst I ever used.

Anyone else been able to set an alarm in the new app, but the alarm doesn’t go off? Chimes or music

Yes, I found where the alarms are hidden in the new app.

But they are NOT working.

Every alarm seems to trigger the BING-BONG Sonos chime even though I have reset them to music in the new Sonos favorites.

• If the room is group with another room (from before the alarm goes off), the alarm fails
  • If the room had previously played from another source, the alarm fails.
  • Sometimes it just fails with no apparent reason.

In the past week, only ONE of my FIFTEEN alarms has actually worked - another two (a daily alarm) work some days and not others.

After nearly 20 years of loyal support for Sonos, I have finally had enough. The latest app ‘update’ has made the simplest things so frustrating. 

no matter what I do, my alarms will only play the Sonos chime. You may think this is insignificant, but if you can’t even get this right, whilst telling me your new headphones are coming soon, I have lost all interest.

it is not good enough for such a premium product.

i give up.

goodbye.

Hi. I’m another angry SONOS client. Come back from holiday. The APP has been updated and all my playlists I spent hours creating have been emptied. Also, the Alarms have disappeared and I can not disable them. Which is a problem as I’d set them really loud as a means of security while I was on holiday. What a bunch of useless developers!!!

Amazingly, the app continues to get WORSE as the days go by. I can no longer turn my music off.  If the alarm goes off, I’m STUCK listening to it until the entire time I set it to run is completed. I can’t stop it at all.  When opening the app, it constantly shows nothing in the queue and doesn’t allow any adjustments to it. Today, the only way I could turn it off was to turn the TV on and then turn down the volume on all the other speakers.  It didn’t turn it down in all the rooms though. I could hear the music continue to play at regular volume the entire time.  I could only turn it down by manually doing it on the speaker.  Rather defeats the purpose of having a central controller, yes?  It took the app 45 minutes to recognize my attempts at changing the play list, adjusting the volume, basically doing anything.  It’s been ‘on’ for 6 hours and I am FINALLY able to actually control my music.  Just in time to shut it off for other reasons.  Sonos - I have 11 components in my house.  That’s a combination of Play 1s, Play 3s, sound bars, and woofers.  11 of them representing several thousand dollars of investment.  Investment that has summarily been rendered virtually useless to me.  I was getting ready to invest in outdoor speakers since my deck is finally completed but I see no reason to spend any further money with Sonos. I’m going to start looking at a replacement system and hope that I can sell these to recoup some of my loss.