Skip to main content

New SONOS App - Adding to queue

I’m unable to add an album to existing queue. Is this feature gone or am I missing it?

If you're on Android, using 08.01.7, and can actually see your Music Library, pick a song - any song - from your Songs list and just look what you get! 

The top of an Album screen looks like this, with all the Songs on the album listed on the left, and I have numbered the controls for ease of reference.

What you get when you click on each of the controls is as follows:-

1: The entire contents of the left-hand list replace whatever queue you have in place and play starts from the first Song.

2. As above, but the Songs are shuffled first before replacing the queue, play starting from the shuffled first Song.

3. This has various options about pinning to the home screen, none of which work. Ignore.

4. You can click on any song in this list and, as far as I can see,  the queue is actually replaced as for 1, and play then starts from the Song you clicked on. 

5. Whichever Song down the left hand list you click on over here replaces your queue and is the ONLY entry on the new one.

That's fine when you want to play an Album but the real kicker is when you want to play a Song, which list in alphabetical order, and have eventually doom-scrolled down to find it!

Selecting a Song to play by clicking on 4 loads the ENTIRE LIBRARY INTO THE NEW QUEUE!  Play starts with that song, but its now in the enormous queue made up of the entire library and you have no idea what's either side of it.  This is what would have been Play Now in earlier versions, but is now a bit like Frankenstein's Monster. 

I have been surprised by how fast my system creates a queue of 14k+ Songs, either in alpha order or totally shuffled.  But who on earth would want to listen to the contents of their Library like this?   It would be the equivalent of taking every book you own, separating all the pages, mixing them up and telling you to enjoy reading whatever book you were looking for.

Surely this is crazy?

And you have absolutely no other influence over the selection of the music you want to hear. No Play Next, no Add To End of Queue, no nothing.

Perhaps Sonos' coders could have a think about this while they work up the reinstatement of the whole Music Library/queue etc system.

And while they're at it, how about letting us have our Album Art back?

OMG sonos!

you completely destroyed the app. Who the hell approved this?!?

I’ve used the new app for about 5 minutes, and here are two critical comments:  1) There’s no way to add songs to a queue that you are currently playing. You used to be able to do this.  2) It’s too busy of an interface, with too many “forward/back” options that don’t make much sense of where you are at.

So now I have to stand with my finger poised to play my next track? What a POS!!!!

Guys, who beta'd this? Like. For real, whomst? Did you put it in beta? Did those people tell you how bad it was? Did you listen? Who told you this was a solid,  good idea? Fire them

The old app allowed me to do everything I wanted quickly and easily. The new app is slow, it takes me a long time to find what I want to do when it is available, and really frustrated when I can’t figure it out, search on the community and find the feature was dropped, WHAT?????

Adding to a queue is the most basic functionality I have been using on sonos for the past 15 years, can’t do it. What you want to queue 2 albums, madness cannot be done. Search for an artist top tracks and play them, can’t do it. Edit a queue, can’t do it.

App design is not intuitive. Too many layers, have to press back too often

Please bring back the old app, it made me happy to listen to music. New version is pissing me off.

Sonos remember new coke?

Call it a mistake. Roll back the app. We can all go back to our tunes, relax, and have a chuckle.

So how do  we go back to the version where we can add songs to a playlist?
Not possible to add to playlist is CRITICAL to me .... 
Get your shit together and fix this NOW!

For me the key feature of the app is adding songs to a queue and creating a playlist on the fly. This is such a basic omisssion from the app that it makes me question the competency of Sonos and if they are even aware of what their customers basic requirements are, let alone adding advanced feature requests. I think this will be the straw that broke the camels back for me and will be moving away from Sonos in my system upgrade.

Why is the latest update such garbage, and when will it be improved so I can start music without having to force stop the app, edit a queue, add to a queue, set a snooze on an alarm, have the option to turn off an alarm on the app, on and on?  It's like we used say "All show and no go."  I know many people have spent more on their system than I, but I have a great deal of money in my Sonos system for it to be so worthless.

The New App is overall a stepback. I miss the playlist editing and queuing management. Please correct it ASAP.

Regards,

Jb

Was initially impressed with the slick UI update, but now realize UX is disastrous. Redundant user actions, counterintuitive screen direction swipes (tab is an up and down screen but you swipe left to back forward), very basic essential features (queue management) completely absent. 

Will be using streaming service apps to control playback / queue. No use for the Sonos app except to reconnect speakers that drop. I guess I hope they communicate when it’s been fixed?

The Sonos App update is beyond useless. We can no longer add songs to the queue?????? We are out by the pool and I have to play every song one at a time. I’d like to think I just need help with the app but it sounds like everyone else is equally frustrated. Playlists - gone. Why in God’s name would Sonos put replace their functioning app with this POS that is useless?

A completely failed app refresh. How is this not offered as an optional update, sonos s3 for instance. It cannot be that users are forced to use this garbage. A clearly unfinished product, making the entire investment into this company come into question. I feel like I never should have made the switch in the first place. Maybe it's time to sell off sonos and look elsewhere at more open systems. Such a sad progression.

I'm really disappointed with Sonos. I have been a loyal user since the first Gen products and have always recommended Sonos to friends that are looking for new sound systems. I will not be recommending Sonos any more. The new app is so bad that it is pretty much unusable. The fact that they rolled out such an inferior product shows they don't care about user experience and ease of use. This refects bad on the whole company, from the execs, designers, and developers.

So, I have found my playlist. Like many people, I cannot add to the queue. It used to so simple. When will this be fixed?

This update has placed music on my Sonos favorites I have never heard of or played. However, I cannot find a way to delete. Is the “lossless” suppose to be a feature?

this has been a disastrous update and the bugs are not being addressed.

Absolutely shocking incompetence. It’s quite beyond belief how either marketing or engineering could imagine that removing “add to queue” would be acceptable.

Thank goodness we still have an old fashioned WinPC on our home network and don’t rely on smartphones for all our family business.  To date (and fingers crossed) the WinPC Sonos app continues to allow queue control including adding, removing tracks, albums, artists from different services.

Word to Sonos.  You WERE the defatcto go-to for music lovers.  You’ve now lowered yourselves to the lowest common denominator.  Good job!

This new app is a disaster. What’s the point?

Overall an appallingly bad update. I cannot believe that a company whose products I generally love and enjoy on a daily basis has let me down so badly. Why someone would decide to release software with so much of the previous functionality missing is beyond me. SONOS surely understands that no matter how good its hardware is, it is the software and the phone app in particular that hangs it all together. If the user experience provided by that is diminished then the product as a whole suffers badly. As can be seen from the 200+ replies regarding this one of several missing, crucial pieces of functionality, this would appear to be what many users are feeling.

I’m guessing two scenarios happened here, or a combination of the two:

1. The board of directors said, ‘your team has been working on this new app far too long, and it needs to be released ASAP to get our stock value up!.’  So it was released with known issues making the results far worse.
  2. The original programmers, back when the only controller was a box in a charge cradle, are long gone, or laid off.  Sonos hired new programmers with ‘fresh’ ideas, that had no idea of the Sonos history, user base, or the expected solid user experience.  I.E. living in a bubble.

I’m unable to add an album to existing queue. Is this feature gone or am I missing it?

It’s useless how can you not add tracks to a queue and browse an artist and add a particular song……joke upgrading to a worse app function than the old one just Chang it back and launch when ready 

Absolutely shocking incompetence. It’s quite beyond belief how either marketing or engineering could imagine that removing “add to queue” would be acceptable.

Joke and no date to fix give option to use old app u til they bother to fix the new app

Glad I didn’t have to retype the above. Management should be very embarrassed. Fix the queue management immediately or offer a rollback to the prior app. Just ridiculous.

Thumbs down for the new app…and as I just realized.  No que… I’m really pissed.

I know this helps nothing, but I bought $3k for a whole household of Sonos three days before the app change. 

just want to complain 🤷