New Search Personal Library Future

Is there any plan to include my personal library in the new search? I have a large library, including music not on streaming services. I bought Sonos specifically because it can manage music on my NAS in the old search. I’d like to see that feature supported in future software versions.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MurphMan 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can’t comment on future updates and functions, unfortunately. What I can do, however, is tag this thread as a feature request so it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

+1 from me too for this feature. I like the new search facility, but not being able to include the local library index, causes me to switch and still use the old classic search.

Some of us do more with our personal libraries than is possible with streaming services. We live record performances, which are sometimes unsigned. “Bootleg” recordings are often encouraged by artists like the Grateful Dead in the old days, more recently Jack White and his Third Man Records studio recordings direct to vinyl. Social media provides some great recordings which are completely unorganized. Downloading into personal libraries allows far more than streaming or buying. It’s a relatively high growth niche.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

+1 from me too for this feature.
I also like the new search facility, but not being able to include the local library index, causes me to switch and still use the old classic search.

Ross.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

+1

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I can only repeat what I alreday write in another thread:

Really Sonos… Don't you think access to one own library should be the first thing you think of when designing a new search function? You really need users to tell you this? and this is still not fixed?

I can only repeat what I alreday write in another thread:

Really Sonos… Don't you think access to one own library should be the first thing you think of when designing a new search function? You really need users to tell you this? and this is still not fixed?

I’m all in favor of including local library in search, however, Sonos is right to focus on streaming services first since that this is what the vast majority of users utilize most. 

Any search function should enhance existing functionality, not remove it. By not including the local library in the search, it makes the new search functionality of little use to me.

If the classic search is removed without the local library being included in the new search, then I will have to consider other speaker options. Not having the local library is not an option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Any search function should enhance existing functionality, not remove it. By not including the local library in the search, it makes the new search functionality of little use to me.

If the classic search is removed without the local library being included in the new search, then I will have to consider other speaker options. Not having the local library is not an option.

Use the Desktop controllers: they will never get New Search (they never even got today’s “Old search”) so will always offer Search 1.0.

Amazed that the new Search doesn’t search our personal large Music Library first.   Why do we have to use internet bandwidth to play music when we own all our favorite music.  Spent an hour wasting time trying to search my own music with the “new search” before I discovered it wasn’t us… it was Sonos doing stupid things again.  I now put Sonos on the list of companies that really hate their own customers.