Skip to main content
Question

New flat reinstallation

I’m reinstalling my Sonos system in a new flat.  My Playbar successfully updated but my Play 1 (2) and Play 5 and Sonos Sub all return a 1,002 OR 30 update error.  I don’t have any Bridge product and I have restarted all my Sonos products many times as well as my Router and it still will not update. Are there any other suggestions I can try?  My new WiFi network is recognised, and the app shows they need updating before use.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Try hooking them to Ethernet and running the update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I’m reinstalling my Sonos system in a new flat.  My Playbar successfully updated but my Play 1 (2) and Play 5 and Sonos Sub all return a 1,002 OR 30 update error.  I don’t have any Bridge product and I have restarted all my Sonos products many times as well as my Router and it still will not update. Are there any other suggestions I can try?  My new WiFi network is recognised, and the app shows they need updating before use.

Updating your speakers via the desktop Sonos app for Windows or Mac will usually cure the 1000 type errors. 

Thanks - what is the Error 30?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks - what is the Error 30?

Who knows?! 

Did you try the Windows/Mac (and/or Ethernet) route?

I need to source a Cat5/6 cable to do this and expect it at the weekend.  Up to now WiFi has been flawless! 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You don’t need an Ethernet cable to try updating the system using the Windows or Mac app for Sonos though. Just a laptop. The apps can be downloaded from the Sonos website (they come up if you google them). You should see if this route works.

I’ve tried iOS Apps without success - will try the laptop tomorrow! Thanks!

Exactly the same issue with a laptop, told it was downloading, then ‘finishing up’ to be followed with an Error 30 failure!  Ethernet cable next! 😅

I’m still no further forward with this - I might have to chase Sonos directly!  I summary, have 5 Sonos products;

Playbar - Play 1 (x 2) - Sub & a Play 5

All of the above - with the exception of the Play 5 - report OS S2 v16.2, the Play 5 remains at OS S1 v11.14.  It reports it needs to update and that an update is available, but this fails with Error 30. Only the Playbar works without a problem with its connection to the TV as well as music from the Sonos App.

The Sub and both Play 1’s say they are ‘Not Registered’.  I can get as far as pressing the button on each to link them, but after this both App and Laptop say ‘There was a Linking problem’ and to check WiFi, yet I connected them with a Cat 5 cable. On trying this several times I get exactly the same results.

My next instinct is to perform a Factory Reset on the 4 non-working items.  How best can I do this?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is your Play:5 a Gen 1? Its running S1, and all of your other devices are running S2. Error 30 probably means “can’t run S2 on this”.

Seems like a full S1->S2 update was done on your system, but it has left the Play:5 behind as it can’t run S2.

Yes - it’s the Gen 1…. I had completely forgotten that it’s only the Gen 2 Play 5 that can make the grade.  Shame, as I really loved the sound it made.  Are you suggesting that if I retire this from my setup, the others should then work? (What confused me was I bought the Play 1’s before the 5, yet they are fine and the 5 isn’t!  😫

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yes - it’s the Gen 1…. I had completely forgotten that it’s only the Gen 2 Play 5 that can make the grade.  Shame, as I really loved the sound it made.  Are you suggesting that if I retire this from my setup, the others should then work? (What confused me was I bought the Play 1’s before the 5, yet they are fine and the 5 isn’t!  😫

Yes, I suggest that for now just unplug the old P5 and get your S2 system fully working. That done, then you can create a separate S1 system for your P5 if you want to.

The P5 is a lot older hardware than the P1s, despite when you may have purchased it.

Had a long chat with support, and did a factory reset on the Sub.  Because I’ve just moved, I’m using wireless broadband until I can get a fixed connection, and apparently it is this that is causing my issues - there are certain protocols used on the Sonos that are unsupported on wireless broadband connection routers (I’m using 3UK) as such, Sonos recommend a ‘non-SIM based’ connection!   I’ll just need to hold fire until normal BB replaces it.  Thanks for your input!