Skip to main content
Question

New App update

Was forced to update my app from S1 to S2 my whole system is missing from the app except my play 3.

tried unplugging, replugging, nothing is popping back up on the S2 app.

than tried using the S1 app but it won’t let me and keeps forcing me open the S2 app.

anyone have a solve or experiencing this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

How wee you forced to update? Did you purchase a new speaker that is only compatible with the S2 app?

I used the S1 app until I got an Arc for Christmas. While there was a notification at the top of the app about upgrading to the S2 app I never did, because I had an older ZP100 in use. The Arc is the only reason I did upgrade. If it was compatible with the S1 app, I may still be using it today.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Was forced to update my app from S1 to S2 my whole system is missing from the app except my play 3.

tried unplugging, replugging, nothing is popping back up on the S2 app.

than tried using the S1 app but it won’t let me and keeps forcing me open the S2 app.

anyone have a solve or experiencing this?

Most of us. The update is garbage.

You can search how to revert back to 16.1 version.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

How wee you forced to update? Did you purchase a new speaker that is only compatible with the S2 app?

It’s when purchasing ANY device from SONOS that you can’t go back to S1.

New devices come with S2 firmware and need to be downgraded to S1. The problem is that this is not possible with the latest app (and even 16.1 asks to be upgraded before you can do a downgrade, which is nuts because after upgrading the downgrade option is gone).

So anyone purchasing new devices and still on S1 system are out of luck !!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It’s when purchasing ANY device from SONOS that you can’t go back to S1.

New devices come with S2 firmware and need to be downgraded to S1. The problem is that this is not possible with the latest app (and even 16.1 asks to be upgraded before you can do a downgrade, which is nuts because after upgrading the downgrade option is gone).

So anyone purchasing new devices and still on S1 system are out of luck !!!

In fairness to Sonos they have always been clear that S1 was a way to carry on using your OLD speakers on a separate network There was never any indication that newer speakers would support S1. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

MULTI ROOM N MUSIC COLLECTION!

THAT'S WHY WE BOUGHT SONOS! NOT HEADPHONE!

1 STAR! (0 IF AVAILABLE)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I spoke to Sonos technical support this week. They are planning to put back in the feature to enable downgrade to S1 for new products when they next update the ridiculously useless app they have just released.

It’s an absolute joke that right now if you want to either:-

1. Use the S1 app with a mixture of S1 and S2 products it’s not possible at all (for your new products because you cannot downgrade from S1 to S2 in any available app)

or

2. use the S2 app and utilise your collection of high quality music files (I have 60,000 on a NaS drive) Then this is also not possible in the latest version of the new app (you can add your Music collection from your PC Sonos controller, but you cannot even access it from the app anymore!!!).

The reason being that they have decided to remove this feature for now. Again, I’m told it will be fixed soon ( is anyone from Sonos willing to confirm when?).

Another example of Sonos not listening to their customer base. They seem to think everybody in the world only streams Music which is complete nonsense.

They seem to think everybody in the world only streams music which is complete nonsense. My collection has way more rare stuff than Spotify as well as my choice of folder structure, quality etc.  Sonos was originally the company to go for because they were designed for music lovers… I fear this seems to be being lost in their crazy recent decisions.  

I hope they fix these issues as quickly as possible or does anyone else have any other ways to resolve these issues!?

Sadly, I am regretting replacing four of my Sonos connect with Sonos ports because I just cannot use them now

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

use the S2 app and utilise your collection of high quality music files (I have 60,000 on a NaS drive) Then this is also not possible in the latest version of the new app (you can add your Music collection from your PC Sonos controller, but you cannot even access it from the app anymore!!!).

I use a Synology NAS for my local music library, with mostly FLAC files. Sonos added the ability to use SMB v2 about a year ago and I immediately enabled it on my Synology and removed the hack I had there to allow the protocol. Make sure you have that setting on your NAS and maybe your files will show up in the new app.

Sonos is not the only manufacturer who has dropped an older protocol for a newer safer one.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeh I  fixed the SMB issue with Synology technical support a while back on S1 app. This is a completely new problem where the brand-new Sonos app for S2 does not even show your music library at all: there is no feature at all on the app. Sonos tech support  admitted this to me on a call this week. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I could not live without my music library, so I only updated one device. My Mac, iPad and wife’s iPhone still have the old app, but I have had no issues wit the app on my iPhone. I never lost access to my library in the app. It should be on the main page under your sources. Try resetting the app, then reconnecting to your system.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Do you mean the least Sonos app (not S1)?

There is no way to do it anymore

see this post which shows the same issue 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Do you mean the least Sonos app (not S1)?

There is no way to do it anymore

see this post which shows the same issue 

The old S2 app are still on other devices.

I know others have complained about not being able to access their local libraries, but it has not gone away for me. While some functions have, I am able to use the app on my phone for most things I need to do.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ah ok, that makes sense, thanks!

unfortunately I have no way of getting the old S2 app back on my iPhone devices (as far as I can tell)