Question

New app system control can change output speakers

• 11 June 2024
  • 8 replies

My app defaults to the first set of speakers listed and will not let me change which speakers I want to use unless I also choose the “default” ones. I am so frustrated since we spent thousands to install the whole Sonos music system in our house and I loved it before the new update. Now I can’t even play music anywhere unless I use the outside speakers (which for some reason is where the app defaults to) which is unfortunate because I’m sure my neighbors wouldn’t appreciate listening to my music while I get ready in the morning! 
Please help! Can you just bring back the old app or help me to get it back on my devices?

8 replies

Here’s how to a source in a particular room:

1. Swipe up on the room at the bottom to bring up the Room selection screen.
  2. Tap on the room you wish to play in.  This room now becomes the room at the bottom of the screen.
  3. Scroll through the sources at the top of the screen or search for a source/track and choose one to play. 
  4. The source will play in the room you chose.  Double tap in the room at the bottom to display the Now Playing screen.
  5. To group rooms, tap on the group icon and choose the rooms to group.  Tap Apply.
  6. Repeat for other rooms/sources.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Have you tried swiping up Now Playing? You should be able to see all your speakers and select one of them.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

You do need to add - wait patiently. The “upgraded” app has serious lag when adding sources or adjusting volume. That is if it actually will load them, playlists come up sometimes and TuneIn radio just spins and spins and most of the time will not load. 

However-  I have zero lag/problems if I use the old app on my laptop. 

Thanks for the suggestions, however, I have done all of these things. Even after selecting the room I want, the music and hitting “apply” the system goes back to the outside patio and ignores my selection.  I have tried everything and downloaded all app updates. Nothing has worked. 

Thanks for the suggestions, however, I have done all of these things. Even after selecting the room I want, the music and hitting “apply” the system goes back to the outside patio and ignores my selection.  I have tried everything and downloaded all app updates. Nothing has worked. 

If you are hitting Apply, you are grouping.  You need to tap the room, not the group icon.  Your music is always going to play in the room displayed at the bottom of the screen.  To change that room, swipe up, then tap the room you want. 

I am not grouping. I am swiping up from the bottom, unselecting the outside patio and selecting the room I want and the music then hitting apply. It still goes back to the outside patio…

I am not grouping. I am swiping up from the bottom, unselecting the outside patio and selecting the room I want and the music then hitting apply. It still goes back to the outside patio…

Sorry to say, if you are “unselecting” anything, you are in the grouping screen.   Here’s how I select my Living Room:

Bedroom playing (room at the bottom says “Bedroom”):

Swipe up on little bar at the top of the Bedroom room at the bottom, you get the Rooms selection screen:

Scroll up to see Living Room:

Tap on Living Room (NOT on the Group icon, which is next to the Play arrow ‘>’).  Living Room is now the default room at the bottom:

Anything you choose from Sources listed above the room will now play in the Living Room. 

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. I am happy to say that it worked and I get it now! I appreciate your help!