Skip to main content
Question

New app Sucks!!

This new app is one of the worst apps I have ever used! I have been a high end integrator for 30 years! I love Sonos but will now have to find a new music system to sell if they don’t fix this!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

223 replies

After all these years selling, installing and using Sonos in my own home I am shocked by the poor function of the new app. By far the worst thing Sonos has done in the 10+ years I have been associated with them. Very embarrassing explaining to my clients and frustrating in my own home/use of the system. I sure hope they fix or restore the old app very soon. Must have been designed by someone who never used the system in real life!

Guess I’ll Be going to BOSE.

I am SOOO tired of SONOS and this new App! All the support tells you that it is YOUR wi-fi. BS!

I have been an avid user of the Sonos for years but I can no longer count on what used to be one of the best products out there for listening.

Sonos has great sound quality and modern designs with much thought given into their speakers.

TOO BAD YOU DIDN’T PUT AS MUCH THOUGHT INTO YOUR APP AS YOU DID YOUR SPEAKERS.

Did you ever think to send out a survey on what your members would like in a new app? If you did, I must of missed that email. 

Anyway, I’ll give these folks one more month. After that, I’ll go to BOSE...already looking at their products…

I am SOOO tired of SONOS and this new App! All the support tells you that it is YOUR wi-fi. BS!

I have been an avid user of the Sonos for years but I can no longer count on what used to be one of the best products out there for listening.

Sonos has great sound quality and modern designs with much thought given into their speakers.

Did you ever think to send out a survey on what your members would like in a new app? If you did, I must of missed that email. 

Anyway, I’ll give these folks one more month. After that, I’ll go to BOSE...already looking at their products…

Is there a particular feature that you’re waiting for? I’m not seeing any issues with the new Sonos App connecting to a system and being able to play audio, or group rooms etc. What is the issue that you’re seeing that caused Support to suggest it was your WiFi and what avenues have you explored so far to rule out that it’s not your WiFi? 

The User Experience team should be sacked. The application is such a backward step for an organisation I have admired for years. 
Come on Sonos your loyal customers deserve better than this. 

Userlevel 1

Is there a particular feature that you’re waiting for? I’m not seeing any issues with the new Sonos App connecting to a system and being able to play audio, or group rooms etc. What is the issue that you’re seeing that caused Support to suggest it was your WiFi and what avenues have you explored so far to rule out that it’s not your WiFi? 

The integration with Music Libraries is terrible.  The old app on computers allowed you to enter a letter and jump to artists whose name started with that letter.  On the IOS app there was an alphabet on the side and you could touch a letter to jump to that point in your collection.  On the IOS app the search also returned results from your music library.

The new app has also lost the ability to see SONOS playlists.  I can see that they are still in storage because we realized the new app was junk before we upgraded the apps on our computers.

SONOS needs to provide a list of all features of the old app and when they will be restored.  The new app seems less buggy but that is not a reason to eliminate the old features.

Why does SONOS hate its customers so much?  What did we ever do to them.

SONOS needs to provide a list of all features of the old app and when they will be restored.  The new app seems less buggy but that is not a reason to eliminate the old features.

Here’s the list of what will be restored and when. Not everything missing from the app is listed. 
https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Userlevel 1

Here’s the list of what will be restored and when. Not everything missing from the app is listed. 
https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

I’ve seen that post.  It lists the features that are “coming soon”.  It does not provide information on whether unlisted features are coming later or never.

“Something went wrong ”  

I’ve seen that post.  It lists the features that are “coming soon”.  It does not provide information on whether unlisted features are coming later or never.

Yup. Impossible to say when or if unlisted features are coming back. I think most/all will but if that’s it for June/July I’m not sure what to expect for the other missing things. Months I guess. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I had the best one … online chat, waited over an hour to get on, spent 45 mins explaining a problem, response was “this is an unexpected action, please call the number”

2 hours later hanging on the phone, no response …

what is the point of support if they don’t?

Userlevel 1

The new app totally SUCKS!!!!!!!!!  Would someone at SONOS please read these threads and switch back to the old APP?????   I can’t even use my system on most days not to mention the app is so hard to navigate.  You can’t find controls like you used to be able to. I have been told to update my system but can’t seem to find that in the menu anywhere.  The guys making the products have done such a great job to have such a poor software team working with them.  My app is telling me today that it can’t find any of my system.  I have Sonos in every room of my house as well as outside and I am unable to use any of them.  I wonder if they will offer a refund for my entire system that I have wasted thousands of dollars on since they are now nothing more than a large paper weight. Please fix this before I use the speakers for target practice and go back to Alexa speakers.   I can not and will not buy.  Another product nor will I recommend SONOS to any one.  The best recommendation I will give is to buy something other than SONOS and this is sad because I have been a fan and a user for many many years.   

Userlevel 1

I just had a great thought,,    This could be a great time for a class act law suit..   Anyone else onboard?    

I just had a great thought,,    This could be a great time for a class act law suit..   Anyone else onboard?    

Are you joking?  

But don’t expect an actual lawsuit to be filed.  Both threads are full of idle threats and arm-chair lawyer blustering.  Nobody ever really files a suit. 

I agree 100%  Sonos has taken two steps back on this latest update.  It makes me think that they aren’t interested in its customers experience.  Very frustrating!!!

The Sonos app for Android is completely unusable. And has been for months. Even something as basic as adjusting the volume on speakers does not work. How the hell does software this bad make it through QA testing?

I love Sonos hardware but the hardware is only as good as the software used to operate it. And for the last few months, it has been useless. My only success has been playing my Sonos speakers through Spotify, but that doesn't let me group, un-group, set different volumes, play different music in different rooms; pretty much all of Sonos' selling points. 

I'll try to register my frustration with a human at Sonos as they can't possibly be seeing all these posts without a fix, or minimally a response.

To all those on this thread suggesting network or wifi issues - y’all can get bent. Sonos used to work great, I could control from my lock screen and iPhone buttons. Now it’s almost useless. My m1 iPad Pro takes 15-20 seconds to recognize what song is playing, then longer to adjust the volume. Want to play a new playlist or station? One minute minimum wait after hitting the play button. Like most I’m here because I’m so frustrated.  And of all the gear I have on wifi, Sonos is the only issue. Just Sonos. Nothing else. 

I hate my Sonos system.... It's unbelievable how bad it is still…

Hmm jag va inte helt nöjd med den gamla appen.

Men den här gör mig helt tokig den säger att den spelar i en högtalare i appen men spelar lite här o där.

Samt att den är inte användarvänlig jag är så besviken lagt ut så j ä v mycket pengar på skit.  

Sonos borde skämmas då denna premium produkt går från hyfat bra till helt värdelös.

Hoppas dom köpet tillbaka skiten helt o hållet för det här funkar inte.

Skäms på Sonos och dom dåliga app utvecklarna….kanske man borde användarna provköra det först innan man släpper en bastard app….en rollback borde vara det minsta man kan göra.

//Jocke  

Userlevel 1

This new app is one of the worst apps I have ever used! I have been a high end integrator for 30 years! I love Sonos but will now have to find a new music system to sell if they don’t fix this!

Could not agree more, this app is pathetic. Groups don’t work and just the general setup and navigation are awful. This is not the seamless Sonos experience that once was. 

SONOS PLEASE FIX THIS, EVEN JUST GIVING US THE OPTON TO GO BACK TO THE OLD APP WOULD BE ENOUGH TO HOLD US OVER WHILE YOU FIRE WHOEVER DID THIS AND HIRE BACK A COMPETENT APP DEVELOPMENT TEAM. TANK YOU. 

Userlevel 1

I agree, the new app is terrible.  Here is a small list of the issues.  The real fix is to just go back to the way the old app worked, it was great.

• On my Mac, it is not easy to see how to get 2 zones to play together.  The feature is there, but it is well hidden.
  • On the app, the “clear queue” button is well hidden.  Make it obvious in multiple places as before.
  • My app and the controller on my Mac sometimes get out of sync.  My Mac has zones separate, but they are together on the app.
  • Albums are split.  Many albums that are treated as a single album by Apple Music are now split into individual songs on Sonos.  This is entirely unacceptable.  Don’t tell me to go change settings on hundreds of albums, just fix this Sonos!
  • Hire a user i/f engineer who uses a music library on a Mac.  This thing looks like it is built by people who only stream and consider music libraries old fashioned.  Bring back the easy connection of local libraries so I don’t need to be an engineer to get it to work.

The issues continue.  I have to appreciate the CEO’s brief message about how they are trying to fix things and are pushing updates every couple weeks.  Well, that must be today, cause I’ve had nothing but issues trying my Sunday morning music.  And I noticed the CEO has taken his message down; wondering if that’s because his email was listed and perhaps he got blasted with negative emails.  

I will admit, it has been doing better until today where I was tempted to box everything back up and send it back to the company with a note to keep their equipment that has worked so well in the past until this year.  

It’s still there:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/blog/update-on-the-sonos-app?utm_source=community-care&utm_medium=blog-patrick

I see the link, in green, at the top of every forum page, still. 

Thank you. It was nice to see the notice again. 

As I mentioned on another thread containing his notes, I’ve stopped using the app which continues to NOT work. However, my Apple and my Sirius apps both have no problem playing on my various speakers.  

Continuing to watch their stock drop — that is if I’m looking at their correct ticker.