Skip to main content

new app not possible

• 24 May 2024
  • 6 replies

With the new Sonos app, it is no longer possible to listen to music properly. The app takes two minutes to start up, it doesn't show any playlists, no favorites, doesn't connect properly, only responds after 10 seconds, it's really horrible. Shouldn't we consider a class action lawsuit against the company's headquarters in California?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

With the new Sonos app, it is no longer possible to listen to music properly. The app takes two minutes to start up, it doesn't show any playlists, no favorites, doesn't connect properly, only responds after 10 seconds, it's really horrible. Shouldn't we consider a class action lawsuit against the company's headquarters in California?

There’s already a couple of class action threads. Waste of time IMO but you can probably find them via search if you want to check it out.

The issues could be your network, try rebooting everything starting with your router first. Personally I’ve done all these things but still having performance issues. IMO the app is still very buggy and we will likely need to wait it out for updates and improvements. Sucks though.

I know that @Ken_Griffiths has had a lot of success getting the app working well for him, I’ve pinged him to see if he has any other ideas to help you out.

@Norbert 56,

The new Sonos App here, with 10 Sonos Rooms (total of 25 speakers), plus 18 music services installed and a reasonably well populated Home Screen, takes less that 10 seconds to launch, from a fully closed state on an iPhone XR and around 7 seconds on an iPad Pro (3rd Gen)… A few moments ago (UK time/date) I recorded the attached iPhone screen-capture video (.gif), just so you can see the App startup time.

Network is a WiFi-6 AX mesh setup with 1GB download/100MB/s upload speed.

If it’s taking 2 minutes to open the App, I’m inclined to think there is ‘possibly’ something wrong locally with the network and/or its connection.

When navigating around the new Sonos App, some areas can admittedly be a little slow, but not that slow that it’s unbearable. It should be reasonably responsive.

Here is another screen capture video done earlier, post launch of the App, on the iPhone XR, where I start playback of an Amazon music playlist, adjust the room volume and show the room-grouping screen. 

I think the App still needs some optimisation in some places, to speed things along, but I guess the priority at the moment for the Sonos Engineers, is to add the ‘Voice Over’ accessibility features to the App and also the widely discussed missing bits. I’m hoping that the App will get much quicker as the development continues.

I personally find the new App really stable here, so no crashes etc. All rooms/services display and work okay and the local SMBv2/3 local music library is showing/working okay here too.

Userlevel 1

That's nice for you, but it doesn't help the legions here in Germany who have massive problems.  My favorites are no longer read in.  what really makes you angry: the older app.  who served faithfully.  can no longer be installed, this is sub-test level for a company, coercion.  For the past three days I've only been listening to music from other sources using headphones.  As a composer, this power behavior from Sonos is particularly infuriating.

That's nice for you, but it doesn't help the legions here in Germany who have massive problems.  My favorites are no longer read in.  what really makes you angry: the older app.  who served faithfully.  can no longer be installed, this is sub-test level for a company, coercion.  For the past three days I've only been listening to music from other sources using headphones.  As a composer, this power behavior from Sonos is particularly infuriating.

I was just trying to demonstrate that not all your troubles might be Sonos App related. If it takes two minutes to launch the App, I suspect you may have some network, or controller connection issues, or at least ‘something’ that is hindering the App working as it should be. It should not take even an eighth of that amount of time to get things up and running and ready to use with your system.

Userlevel 1

Thank for help. But Sonos support here in Germany says, there is a problem in the app. They hope for an update next week. The controller and router and booster are working excellent. No problems with older version of the app. We will see. Nice weekend:-)