Skip to main content
Answered

new app (iOS) and local music library (NAS)

Just to make sure I am correct (because it is hard to believe): the new app does not allow connection to a local music library - only to streaming services. I had the confirmed in a chat with the customer service  people but it seems so whacky that I thought I should check here. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

113 replies

Userlevel 1

106rallye -

Scroll up to my previous post.  Or better yet, watch the video at the link below it goes into more detail.  You can have a library on your Mac, it just isn’t easy anymore.

Yep, Sonos are ***holes. I have all my music on a NAS, shared via DLNA, Plex, and SMB. Now these ***hats have arbitrarily removed my ability to search my own music library.

Months of avoiding the new ****tier search, and now it's all for nought as the app has updated in the background. Stuff you and your arrogant push to streaming-only users. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Yep, totally agree, I've stopped buying more Sonos kit until this is resolved, my NAS library is useless at the moment!! 🤬

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I can access my NAS library because I’m using SMB2.  The issue I have with the new app is it does not display album cover art in the queue when playing from the local library.  The cover shows in Now Playing but not in the queue.  Also the queue does not automatically scroll down to the track playing.

The first screenshot shows the track playing.  The second screenshot shows the queue with no cover art and the queue has not moved to the track that’s playing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Wonder if Sonos is doing anything about this new app.  I’ve had at least a half dozen updates for the WiiM Home app since the last 80…. app update.  The last Sonos update made it easier to add new products without fixing what’s wrong with the app that would make me want to buy new products.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I can access my NAS library because I’m using SMB2.  The issue I have with the new app is it does not display album cover art in the queue when playing from the local library.  The cover shows in Now Playing but not in the queue.  Also the queue does not automatically scroll down to the track playing.

The first screenshot shows the track playing.  The second screenshot shows the queue with no cover art and the queue has not moved to the track that’s playing.

That’s basically how my IOS app has been working, with the eighth notes instead of the art work. Maybe not having the art work might make the scrolling a little faster, but it sure would make it easier to find songs. Especially since after exiting the now playing menu, it never takes you back to where you left off, which I have already posted about 6 or 8 times already. It takes you back to the beginning of the current playlist. But I’m sure Sonos has a lot more important things to worry about. I really think they are in over their heads and finding it very difficult to make things right again. Just think, when they first started as a company over 15 years ago, it took that long to get the old app working, though there were many bumps along the way. Now they basically **** canned that app and came out with this new one, like a start-up company with some experience. I hope they can use some of the old code and paste parts of it into the new app. And I wonder if they still have some of the original coders working on this project, or is it being farmed out to some shop somewhere in India. No offense to anyone. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Badge

Today I had to update the MacOS desktop app, and, miracle of miracles, the album art is back, the ability to search the local music library and “play now” of “play next” is vback. Pity you need a degree in computer science to connect the music library, though.

And then, another triumph, the Android app crashes on startup, even though the version I am using says it was updated to correct a bug that made it crash on startup. What a bunch of clowns and chancers Sonos have become.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

And then, another triumph, the Android app crashes on startup, even though the version I am using says it was updated to correct a bug that made it crash on startup. What a bunch of clowns and chancers Sonos have become.

Hi @BobPrice23, here’s the skinny on the latest snafu crashing the Android app for many of us …

Badge

Hi @BobPrice23, here’s the skinny on the latest snafu crashing the Android app for many of us …

Thanks once again, @press250 . Has the idea of testing software before releasing it become outdated?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Let me state up front that I think Sonos added to the confusion by stopping SMBv2 and http access at roughly the same time the new appeared. Sonos should have delayed this or maybe should have done this long ago. There’s posts on this community warning about SMBv1 especially dating back years. Sonos should also have been more clear in their warning about this, along the lines of “if your library cannot be reached, read this. “913” or “something went wrong” (that the app will state elsewhere ar just not good enough.

But as I understand it right - I do not own a Mac - Sonos now uses the regular Apple way of sharing files? So the conclusion could be it is Apple that makes file sharing so difficult? Or am I missing something her.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

John Guarr:

It is possible that local library album art loaded into the queue could slow things down, but if the S2 app was capable of doing so I’m sure the new app is capable as well.  Using streaming services populates the queue with album art in the queue with no apparent slow down.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

John Guarr:

It is possible that local library album art loaded into the queue could slow things down, but if the S2 app was capable of doing so I’m sure the new app is capable as well.  Using streaming services populates the queue with album art in the queue with no apparent slow down.

I did notice that. I don’t subscribe to streaming services, all my music I have ripped from my over 800 CD collection or purchased in iTunes over the years. You show the listing above of some of the songs in your queue and there is only eighth notes with no pictures. I have the same showing, but the strangest thing is that when I first indexed my NAS about a month ago, somehow, I went to a music service to check it out and I was able to save a David Bowie song, Life On Mars, and this is the only song in my queue that actually shows the album art.  

Downloaded July 22 update for Mac. Still getting error 913 when trying to add local library. No joy here

Badge

Downloaded July 22 update for Mac. Still getting error 913 when trying to add local library. No joy here

Been through all that. I was enlightened by the following explanation by @press250 . Basically you have to use the third option on the page where you add files to your music library, the first 2 don’t work and never will again. Before that you need to have done a bit of work, all detailed in Sonos’ instructions for setting up your music library. Mine now works, but the Android app crashes out whenever you atart it.

I was enlightened by the following explanation by @press250 

the bad news is the click-click automagic music library options are gone and will not come back. Your only option is to share your music library using the Mac’s native file sharing mechanism and then add it to your Sonos system as a NAS drive.

Here’s some context if you’re curious …

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced%2Dsetups%2D229133/how%2Ddo%2Di%2Dadd%2Dmy%2Dnas%2Dto%2Dmusic%2Dlibrary%2Don%2Dnew%2Dapp%2D6892451?postid=16761472#post16761472