Skip to main content

New App - "Edit Home" doesn't work

• 13 July 2024
  • 8 replies

In the new “upgraded” app, the “Edit Home” button doesn’t work correctly.  It lets me modify things, like removing old “favorites” or pinned items, but then the next time I open the app, it’s all there again.  It also keeps removing my Music Library, which is the main functionality how I use Sonos. 

Recently, it completely removed it, and after about an hour of reading the community posts, I figured out that I could re-enable my Music Library on the Windows App, thereby allowing me to access it again on my Android app. 

Is there a plan to fix the “Edit Home” so that your edits actually stay? 

8 replies

Edit Home…works for me on my iOS devices (iPad and iPhone). Maybe it’s related to Android devices.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Edit Home…works for me on my iOS devices (iPad and iPhone). Maybe it’s related to Android devices.

When you add/remove something, does it “stay” the next time you load the app?  I can sometimes edit home, but then the next time I’m in, it’s the same as before. 

Yeah, maybe it’s a difference in iOS vs Android.  It seems like there are a lot more issues on Android app than iOS… what the heck Sonos, did you forget about half an ecosystem…?

When you add/remove something, does it “stay” the next time you load the app?  I can sometimes edit home, but then the next time I’m in, it’s the same as before. 

Yeah, maybe it’s a difference in iOS vs Android.  It seems like there are a lot more issues on Android app than iOS… what the heck Sonos, did you forget about half an ecosystem…?

The app has always been better in iOS imo. Android missing true play for starters. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The app has always been better in iOS imo. Android missing true play for starters. 

The only apple product I own is an old iPod that's probably 15+ years old. 🙂 My friends that own Sonos, also use Android too. So, I don't really have any comparison. I think there's a way to do the true play on the Android with just your phone, but I never bothered to mess with it.

Honestly, I never had much issue with the Sonos app on Android, until they do one of if these “overhauls” every few years and screw everything up. I honestly thought the previous app was more intuitive than this new version, because in the new one I always think I'm on one speaker, and then try to play music, only to find I'm playing it on another speaker. I'll eventually adjust (if they ever get it working again), but don't care for the new layout. And I'm not one of those “OMG the look and feel changed… I hate it” guys.

Yeah…everything stays in place on my iPhone and iPad.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Ah, okay. Well that seems to be Android specific then. Thanks!

Maybe sometime while I'm busy watching my grass grow and feel like beating my head on a brick wall, I'll try to call customer support and open a ticket about all this. 😉

Maybe sometime while I'm busy watching my grass grow and feel like beating my head on a brick wall, I'll try to call customer support and open a ticket about all this. 😉

Just as an aside…

I remember when I used an Android phone because I refused to buy an iPhone as AT&T had exclusive rights with their (IMO) outrages fees upon the iPhones initial launch … Android consistently rearranged icons with every update. Granted I’m now a confirmed iOS user and so I’ve been told that icon rearrangement with Android updates is no longer a thing… I wonder if this rearrangement of icons with Sonos the app is a resurgence of pass issues due to some rogue code in the Sonos OS??

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Just as an aside…

I remember when I used an Android phone because I refused to buy an iPhone as AT&T had exclusive rights with their (IMO) outrages fees upon the iPhones initial launch … Android consistently rearranged icons with every update. Granted I’m now a confirmed iOS user and so I’ve been told that icon rearrangement with Android updates is no longer a thing… I wonder if this rearrangement of icons with Sonos the app is a resurgence of pass issues due to some rogue code in the Sonos OS??

Interesting… I don’t remember the rearranging of icons on Android, and I’ve had an Android for 20+ years (or whatever ran on the old flip phones… but now I’m dating myself).  Being a software developer myself, I wouldn’t think that the icon rearrangement would be linked to the “Edit Home” not “sticking”… that’s more of a persistence issue for a single user’s settings.  Probably just something they haven’t received enough complaints about yet, or not put high enough on their priority list of bugs to fix.  I mean, just today they finally fixed the issue with the Android app crashing when you had queue with local music on it, because they implemented a firmware updates (to prevent users from using the old v16.1 of the app).  Not being able to edit your home screen is lower priority than fixing the entire app from crashing at startup.  It’s sad that it’s even gotten to this state, but… gotta put out the big fires before resolving the smaller ones.