Question

new app, can i play music off my phone

Hey guys, as I said in the description.....will this new app enable me to play music off my phone again? Like it used to. 

Cheers 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

No. I doubt that will ever be possible again. 

Might be time to get rid of sonos for another brand then, was just gonna buy a whole new set up as well....what a stupid decision by sonos to take this away . Thanks for the reply

Might be time to get rid of sonos for another brand then, was just gonna buy a whole new set up as well....what a stupid decision by sonos to take this away . Thanks for the reply

Sonos didn’t decide to take it away.  The makers of Android, like iOS before it, decided that allowing an external device to access local files was a security risk and they closed off access.  Your complaint is with the OS manufacturers, not Sonos.

Also, that feature has been gone for years and you are just complaining about it now?

How come you can do it on other manufacturers like bose etc?? Wouldn't they have taken it away from them too?  Was pissed off when they took it away ages ago but thanks for your input. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

He/she says “again” so he knew that it was gone and hoped it would be back. For Android it hasn't been years, was taken away maybe a year ago. 

The only way to play music on your phone is via one of the bluetooth capable speakers (Roam, Move 2 and Eras 100/300) and then group them with the room you want to listen in via wifi.

To my knowledge, BOSE uses a player on your device, and then sends it to the speaker. Sonos plays directly on the speaker, and the controller on your device is merely a remote control, not a player. Both Android and iOS consider that ‘remote control’ function to be a security hole. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey guys, as I said in the description.....will this new app enable me to play music off my phone again? Like it used to. 

Cheers 

Yes you can Airplay to supported speakers.