Skip to main content
Question

New app

• 15 July 2024
  • 8 replies

I’m not sure if this will work, but I’m trying to add my voice to the feedback on the new app.  It’s horrible.  Lag time is ridiculous.  I changed artist and had to guess when a song was coming up because the app was showing the previous artist/album. I had to uninstall and reinstall to get it to sync. I have 11 sonos speakers/devices.  I’ve never had a problem. The last few weeks have been painful to use.

8 replies

Userlevel 2

Try using Sonophone for Sonos app from Apple Store. Good temporary fix until Sonos fixes Sonos 2 app.

Userlevel 3

I’ve remained on the old app since it seems like the new app has absolutely no advantages of any kind. Wonder if they’ll ever let people download the old app again.

I’ve remained on the old app since it seems like the new app has absolutely no advantages of any kind. Wonder if they’ll ever let people download the old app again.

You can still download it for Android. But the risk to everyone using alternative controllers going forward is that a Sonos firmware update locks us out of musing 16.1, SonoPhone or desktop controller (sonos already said it is gone end of year). So turn off auto updates in your Sonos apps ! 

Userlevel 3

You can still download it for Android. But the risk to everyone using alternative controllers going forward is that a Sonos firmware update locks us out of musing 16.1, SonoPhone or desktop controller (sonos already said it is gone end of year). So turn off auto updates in your Sonos apps ! 

not relevant as I use iOS (which Sonos has been explicitly and continually designed for since day 1). iOS auto-update for apps is just either on or off, and apps do sometimes make huge mistakes like this, so I disabled auto-updates long ago and manually update things that I need. I used to think I was being too paranoid, but the Sonos disaster has proven me right. My wife auto-updated her app and now can’t use it (because it asks her to update the firmware on the speakers, which she knows not to do or I’ll be locked out of them.)

I have been able to hold on to the old app on my Android and PC.  The new app is a disaster and does nothing I want it to (like play music from my collection).  This was first supposed to have been fixed by June and now by July.  Well, we are now half way through July and not a peep from Sonos - no updates, no word on where they are in getting things fixed.  I’m beginning to adjust to the idea that they never will update the app to play stored music.  It seems they are much more interested in having us pay for streaming services.  I wish I had never wasted my money on Sonos gear.  As someone else said previously, I now have four very expensive radios and Sonos gives no indication that they care.

Any way to revert back to the old version of the app? The new version is painful due to the lag time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I have been able to hold on to the old app on my Android and PC.  The new app is a disaster and does nothing I want it to (like play music from my collection).  This was first supposed to have been fixed by June and now by July.  Well, we are now half way through July and not a peep from Sonos - no updates, no word on where they are in getting things fixed.  I’m beginning to adjust to the idea that they never will update the app to play stored music.  It seems they are much more interested in having us pay for streaming services.  I wish I had never wasted my money on Sonos gear.  As someone else said previously, I now have four very expensive radios and Sonos gives no indication that they care.

There have been several posts regarding fixes to enable playing of music library/stored music. Have you followed any of that advice? It seems that dropping support for SMBv1 has caused the problem for a lot of folk, but that’s easily resolved. 

They’ve also given us this: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

So to claim “we are now half way through July and not a peep from Sonos - no updates, no word on where they are in getting things fixed” is not entirely accurate.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

If you can get SONOS to see your music library (and you should be able to), then SonoPhone or the old app or Desktop app is the best way to play it, if you want search, queue management, etc - and who wouldn’t want that, other than SONOS?

SONOS suggested Plex, to allow you to search your library with the new app.  Of all the workarounds I have tried, Plex/new app is the least rewarding and unfortunately likely a preview of what SONOS thinks is OK.