Skip to main content

It seems that the ability to play from a local library or a NAS server has been removed in the new app.
This has major consequences for us who play music in an Odd Fellow lodge that we ourselves have recorded and own.
This means that sonos is now completely useless to us.

It is a significant deterioration and means that we can no longer can use sonos at all, and must find a new alternative.

That’s a change of OS, not a downgrade of the app. 

you can see alone, how ...

If you can’t see the difference between a complete change of platform/system and reverting to a prior version of the same app, I’m not going to explain it.  

That’s a change of OS, not a downgrade of the app. 

“Sonos app version 80.0
The ability to downgrade a Sonos product to S1 is temporarily unavailable, but will return in a future update. ok, “downgrade … … is temporarily unavailable”

there was option to go back but ok it’s not “downgrade” 

Downgrade didn't work for me. My Nas is end of life. Tried another external hdd and b got a error 928.

Very frustrating.  They did little to no beta testing for music library.  Ridiculous. 

is it possible to roll back to the old app in IOS?

is it possible to roll back to the old app in IOS?

No.

I am extremely angry with this update, but I’m finding my solution.

About SMB and NAS
I’m still trying but, anyway, what I got is that Sonos wasn't managing very well the SMB1 protocol and was very late with updates (and SMB2 seems to be very slow, and it seems to be not possible to make a NAS work properly or having the library recognized or complete the setup without errors). They spit out this update giving us a lot of problems. To be clear: they don’t care about this system, about this way to work or listen to music. In nuts, they don’t care about us. If we wait for an update, we will wait for a long time, and we’re not sure to get something working properly. We already know that developers are extremely slow event if it’s their fault to have released this version without managing problems or giving us the possibility to choose. Again, they don’t care about us. They showed that many times in Sonos history.

Alternative to SMB (PLEX SERVER)
They clearly put their focus on “managing music with Apps and external services”. They could even have developed their own service offering it to us, but we know that Sonos is blind (and I’ll stop here this topic). The only solution to manage music in this way is to develop a PLEX SERVER at home (please note that some things are buggy and again Sonos doesn’t support some things). Basically, the solution that seems to work is: 
1. to set up a Plex Server at home
2. to convert all your music to AAC 320 kbps (if you don’t you will have some problems)
3. put all the files inside and manage tags if you need, or if some tags were not recognized (you could lose them all during the previous conversion)
This way seems to work.

Actually, I converted 10% of my music. Enough to say that I can’t use the best quality (it’s managed by Plex, but Sonos device can’t play heavy files, or manage them In a great library). Plus, it looks difficult to change quality and put the new files inside Plex Library (caching problems, buffer problems, interaction with the Sonos new App… again, yes!!!)

But you all can rescue your Home System, listen to your music with a small computer and a good basic HD, with all the music m4a, AAC, 320 kbps.

Maybe there could be better systems, or better ways, but I wanted to share all these informations for the ones losing a lot of time on this task. Sonos could do that to help us, but they’re busy doing their work (= making money and fixing bugs that they could have avoided).

It’s still a shame, but I hope it helps somebody.

I checked that I had automatic updates disabled after hearing about this fiasco and woke up this morning to find out that updates were forced onto my speakers, and several of them had stopped working. The app only gave me an option to update and the updates would fail with a generic error asking me to restart my router. After several hours of trying and error I finally got all my speakers working only to discover not only that it won’t connect to any of my local music, it also will not play a Tune In station where I streamed my file over https. 

Who in their right mind force such a half baked update a holiday weekend? I have thousands of dollars worth of equipment from Sonos that was more or less bricked for most of the day, I now can’t play anything from my own music library. 

Three things …

1. As far as I’m aware, Sonos has users in many different countries. I believe that ‘Memorial Day’ is a US institution, not celebrated by other countries. I suspect a large portion of Sonos, who has offices in many different countries, work(ed) today. 
  2. There are two parts to Sonos ‘updates’, one for the controller application, which you control the update process on your device, or in the applicable store, and the firmware on the speakers, which there is a feature to turn off auto updates in the controller. Which ‘update’ occurred to your system? 
  3. Sonos hasn’t released any new software, for either the speakers, or the controller, since May 21, 2024. 

The „new“ app is such a tremendous downgrade. The fact that the system is barely usable with other apps makes me think I should consider talking to the german customer protection agency. The system is localized and has no security implications for being in „need“ of an update. This is clearly an anti customer choice and probably violates german law.

Especially since they have not done or responded to this in any meaningful way, it seems like harsher methods are now on the table.

i hope they learn that this behavior will not be tolerated.

Can you definitely confirm that this new app doesn’t have the ability to search one’s local library?  

For me, I've completely lost all access to all my music on the laptop. The music library has disappeared and there's no functionality in the Sonos app on Android or on the Sonos app on my laptop to even create the music file library as it was in past. It's not that I can't "refresh" the library... it is nonexistent as a feature.

My entire Sonos ecosystem has been rendered useless beyond the TV audio or online music services. 

Still no library but I can play from library via AirPlay. I’m also managing to queue from my Music Services via a third party app. Flipping back and forth between Sonos app and third party app not ideal but a workaround for me. ‘Middle of June’ can’t come soon enough!! 

I just got the alarm working. If you want to set a alarm for 7 am you must set it for 11 am. The is a 4 hour delay.

just lost my own music library (I was able to use it with the controller app on my laptop (Windows 11). After a whole afternoon and evening of Sonos saying that tracks / songs were not properply encoded (tracks that I have listened to through sonos for years!),  I deleted the link to my libray in the controller and now I can’t put it back again. After entering the location of the library in the controller, the controller gets stuck in the phase of (endessly) ‘updating’ the library. I AM SO FED UP WITH SONOS ……………………………..

just lost my own music library (I was able to use it with the controller app on my laptop (Windows 11). After a whole afternoon and evening of Sonos saying that tracks / songs were not properply encoded (tracks that I have listened to through sonos for years!),  I deleted the link to my libray in the controller and now I can’t put it back again. After entering the location of the library in the controller, the controller gets stuck in the phase of (endessly) ‘updating’ the library. I AM SO FED UP WITH SONOS ……………………………..

I understand, i have the same problem. 

Can you definitely confirm that this new app doesn’t have the ability to search one’s local library?  

For me, I've completely lost all access to all my music on the laptop. The music library has disappeared and there's no functionality in the Sonos app on Android or on the Sonos app on my laptop to even create the music file library as it was in past. It's not that I can't "refresh" the library... it is nonexistent as a feature.

My entire Sonos ecosystem has been rendered useless beyond the TV audio or online music services. 

I can see/access my Library,  kept on a NAS, no problem. I can select albums or tracks and send them to play wherever I choose, each selection replacing the existing queue without any management options.  

I can however definitely confirm for you that the ability to Search on it is not available in my experience through either V80.x or the WebApp. 

The apps do have a "search" button but it only acts on your connected services, not on your Library. 

I'm not holding my breath waiting for this basic function to be reinstated..

I just went to the live chat today and they were able to walk me through setting up the right NAS, SMBv2 and user ID to load the music library back into the SONOS app on my computer. I can play music, search, and control… but so far only through the computer app… not the iphone app. Took about 30 minutes but it works. 

I’m hopeful I can figure out how to control from the iphone as well. 

anyone have ideas on the iphone app controls?

it can be fixed. They walked me through it today. my computer lost access, kept indexing and would not play. After going through and setting up another ID, redirecting to that ID and selecting a new NAS which also updated to SMBv2 it all works. If interested I can try and attach the instructions from the chat. 

it can be fixed. They walked me through it today. my computer lost access, kept indexing and would not play. After going through and setting up another ID, redirecting to that ID and selecting a new NAS which also updated to SMBv2 it all works. If interested I can try and attach the instructions from the chat. 

Yes please! Having the same issue. On my laptop devices page I get this:

Looks like I have to paste it all here. Can’t insert a txt doc. so here goes. Just follow the instructions which start about ½ way down. 

Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 2:46:31 PM): Hello, my name is Jexer Kyle. Your case has been reassigned to me and I'll be happy to assist from here. Please allow me a moment to review your ticket so we can pick up where you left off. In the meantime, feel free to provide me with any additional details you think might be helpful. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:47:10 PM): Thank Jexer. I'm just trying to figure out why my itunes music and playlists... which have always worked, now can't be played. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:47:45 PM): I added the music through the app... or thought I did but when I try and update the music library it just keeps indexing. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:47:52 PM): and never finishes. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:48:31 PM): I also don't have Apple music - just don't want the added expense. 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 2:49:01 PM): Got it, we appreciate your efforts on this. I’ll do what I can to help. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:49:06 PM): thanks 
null (6/2/2024, 2:49:28 PM): BTW - I've had the music library connected for years now 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 2:50:23 PM): So right now the Sonos app is stuck on indexing your Music Library, correct? How long is it trying to index your music library? 
null (6/2/2024, 2:50:50 PM): yes that's it. So I tried last night - let it run all night and it was still indexing this morning. It's never taken that long. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:51:05 PM): as we speak I tried again and it's been running now for about 6 -7 hours 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 2:51:50 PM): Got it, let me check your system diagnostic to see if the system is indexing your Music library. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:51:57 PM): ok thanks 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 2:55:24 PM): Ok, I can see from here that the system is not indexing your music library. So you can simply close down the Sonos app. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:55:50 PM): ok just closed it. The window did still say indexing. 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 2:56:41 PM): OK, I can also see from here that the system is getting an error 913. Are you also receiving this error code on your Sonos app? 
null (6/2/2024, 2:56:50 PM): no I'm not 
null (6/2/2024, 2:58:16 PM): BTW I have the iphone app but also the app on the computer 
null (6/2/2024, 2:58:41 PM): I only use the phone app when I'm outside. everything comes through for playing music there. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:59:03 PM): But use the computer for all updates, music library, updates, etc. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:59:44 PM): should I reopen the app on the computer yet? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:00:20 PM): I was getting an error message when I was trying to play the music yesterday... which is what started all this. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:01:04 PM): all other music (amazon, Siruus, sonos, etc.) all play just fine 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:01:58 PM): OK, error 913 means the library share is still using SMBv1 or HTTP. We would need to adjust the music library share to use SMBv2 or SMBv3. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:02:25 PM): Ok way above my head... what is SMBv2 or v3? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:03:09 PM): Assume you can walk me through how this works? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:03:30 PM): And does it affect my library of music with Apple and Itunes? Wouldn't think so. 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:05:52 PM): SMBv2 and SMBv3 are folder share protocols that the computer uses. Yes, I'll try to guide you through the process. First, what computer are you using? Windows or MacOS? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:06:00 PM): Windows 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:06:09 PM): Windows 10 or 11? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:06:11 PM): 10 
null (6/2/2024, 3:06:29 PM): don't want to upgrade to 11 on this computer. has programs that are deleted in 11 
null (6/2/2024, 3:06:34 PM): typical MSFT 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:08:12 PM): Alright, first we would need to create a local user account on your computer. 
You can follow these steps to create one.
Select Start  > Settings  > Accounts  and then select Family & other users. (In some versions of Windows you'll see Other users.)

Select Add someone else to this PC.

Select I don't have this person's sign-in information, and on the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.

Enter a user name, password, or password hint—or choose security questions—and then select Next. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:08:38 PM): ok here we go 
null (6/2/2024, 3:08:52 PM): give me a minute to get to settings and accounts 
null (6/2/2024, 3:10:21 PM): ok I'm to the point of adding a user name, etc. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:10:41 PM): can I add a derivative of my name  or someting totally different? 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:11:18 PM): You can use either one as long as we create a local user. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:11:26 PM): ok here goes 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:11:56 PM): Alright, keep me posted. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:12:45 PM): ok it's done 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:13:30 PM): Alright, next we share the Music folder and give network permissions to the new user account
     1. Navigate to the Music folder in Windows Explorer
     2. Right click and choose Properties
     3. Click the Sharing tab, then choose Advanced Sharing
         a. Do Not click the button that says Share

4. Check the box next to Share this Folder
     5. Click the Permissions button and make sure that the customer’s user account is listed and has a check next to ‘Read’ under the Allow column
     6. If the customer’s user account is not listed, press the Add button, type the customer’s user name and press ok
     7. Make sure the Everyone group does not have a check next to Deny for Read
     8. Press OK, then OK again 
null (6/2/2024, 3:13:57 PM): ok here we go 
null (6/2/2024, 3:14:09 PM): let me read the info first 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:14:14 PM): Sure. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:15:08 PM): when you say customers user name I assume it's the user name I just created? 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:15:25 PM): Yes, that's correct. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:15:54 PM): Also.. do I select the top folder Itunes or drill down all the way to the music folder 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:16:24 PM): Top folder. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:16:29 PM): ok 
null (6/2/2024, 3:19:08 PM): so here is what I'm seeing for the "everyone box" 
null (6/2/2024, 3:19:40 PM): there is a check in the "Allow" read 
null (6/2/2024, 3:19:46 PM): should I leave that alone? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:20:31 PM): that's the only check mark in all three lines (6 boxes) 
null (6/2/2024, 3:20:44 PM): thought I could put a screen shot here but that doesn't work 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:21:12 PM): Let me send a file request for that screen shot. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:22:38 PM): ok so I did add the username, it shows up and has the same check mark in "allow" read... I haven't pressed OK yet. 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:23:56 PM): Allow read at least. 

null (6/2/2024, 3:24:36 PM): done 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:25:12 PM): Alright, next check for folder security permissions
     1. Click the Security tab of the Music folder properties
     2. Make sure the customer’s user account is listed and has at least Read permissions
     3. If the customer’s user account is not listed, press ‘Edit’, then ‘Add’, then type the customer’s user name and press ‘OK’
     4. While in the Music Folder properties, copy the network path. ex: \\hostname\Music.- here - go to your "sharing" tab and your network path should be right there. Just copy it and paste it into the sonos app.   
null (6/2/2024, 3:25:33 PM): ok hang tight 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:26:57 PM): Alright. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:28:21 PM): on step 4 - this one most me. where do I cope the network path to? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:28:51 PM): lost me 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:29:44 PM): For that, we go to the step where we add the music library back to the Sonos app. 
 1. Open the Sonos Controller, click ‘Manage’, then ‘Music Library Settings’, ‘Add’, then choose the third option in the list ‘Networked device (ex. NAS drive)’
     a. Paste the network path of the Music folder that we copied in the last step and press the ‘Next’ button. Do not press the Browse button
     b. Enter the customer’s username and have them enter their password then press the ‘Next’ button

2. If adding the Music Library in this way fails, submit a diagnostic and look in Anacapa for a Cifs error 
 3. If the library adds, wait 1-2 minutes then pull a diagnostic to ensure indexing is occurring without anacapa errors 

null (6/2/2024, 3:35:29 PM): clicked done and now it says updating music library 
null (6/2/2024, 3:35:41 PM): so we may have success! 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:36:22 PM): Yes, let the music library index for now. Will there be anything else? 

Ok, thanks for that. The problem I have at this end (in the UK) is that my controller says there is a Sonos network, but won’t connect me, so I can’t actually get to the “manage library” tab. Interestingly in my Sonos program folder there is no index .exe file anymore.

And now to cap it off the library function from my app has gone

Looks like I have to paste it all here. Can’t insert a txt doc. so here goes. Just follow the instructions which start about ½ way down. 

Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 2:46:31 PM): Hello, my name is Jexer Kyle. Your case has been reassigned to me and I'll be happy to assist from here. Please allow me a moment to review your ticket so we can pick up where you left off. In the meantime, feel free to provide me with any additional details you think might be helpful. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:47:10 PM): Thank Jexer. I'm just trying to figure out why my itunes music and playlists... which have always worked, now can't be played. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:47:45 PM): I added the music through the app... or thought I did but when I try and update the music library it just keeps indexing. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:47:52 PM): and never finishes. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:48:31 PM): I also don't have Apple music - just don't want the added expense. 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 2:49:01 PM): Got it, we appreciate your efforts on this. I’ll do what I can to help. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:49:06 PM): thanks 
null (6/2/2024, 2:49:28 PM): BTW - I've had the music library connected for years now 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 2:50:23 PM): So right now the Sonos app is stuck on indexing your Music Library, correct? How long is it trying to index your music library? 
null (6/2/2024, 2:50:50 PM): yes that's it. So I tried last night - let it run all night and it was still indexing this morning. It's never taken that long. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:51:05 PM): as we speak I tried again and it's been running now for about 6 -7 hours 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 2:51:50 PM): Got it, let me check your system diagnostic to see if the system is indexing your Music library. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:51:57 PM): ok thanks 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 2:55:24 PM): Ok, I can see from here that the system is not indexing your music library. So you can simply close down the Sonos app. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:55:50 PM): ok just closed it. The window did still say indexing. 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 2:56:41 PM): OK, I can also see from here that the system is getting an error 913. Are you also receiving this error code on your Sonos app? 
null (6/2/2024, 2:56:50 PM): no I'm not 
null (6/2/2024, 2:58:16 PM): BTW I have the iphone app but also the app on the computer 
null (6/2/2024, 2:58:41 PM): I only use the phone app when I'm outside. everything comes through for playing music there. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:59:03 PM): But use the computer for all updates, music library, updates, etc. 
null (6/2/2024, 2:59:44 PM): should I reopen the app on the computer yet? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:00:20 PM): I was getting an error message when I was trying to play the music yesterday... which is what started all this. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:01:04 PM): all other music (amazon, Siruus, sonos, etc.) all play just fine 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:01:58 PM): OK, error 913 means the library share is still using SMBv1 or HTTP. We would need to adjust the music library share to use SMBv2 or SMBv3. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:02:25 PM): Ok way above my head... what is SMBv2 or v3? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:03:09 PM): Assume you can walk me through how this works? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:03:30 PM): And does it affect my library of music with Apple and Itunes? Wouldn't think so. 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:05:52 PM): SMBv2 and SMBv3 are folder share protocols that the computer uses. Yes, I'll try to guide you through the process. First, what computer are you using? Windows or MacOS? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:06:00 PM): Windows 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:06:09 PM): Windows 10 or 11? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:06:11 PM): 10 
null (6/2/2024, 3:06:29 PM): don't want to upgrade to 11 on this computer. has programs that are deleted in 11 
null (6/2/2024, 3:06:34 PM): typical MSFT 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:08:12 PM): Alright, first we would need to create a local user account on your computer. 
You can follow these steps to create one.
Select Start  > Settings  > Accounts  and then select Family & other users. (In some versions of Windows you'll see Other users.)

Select Add someone else to this PC.

Select I don't have this person's sign-in information, and on the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.

Enter a user name, password, or password hint—or choose security questions—and then select Next. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:08:38 PM): ok here we go 
null (6/2/2024, 3:08:52 PM): give me a minute to get to settings and accounts 
null (6/2/2024, 3:10:21 PM): ok I'm to the point of adding a user name, etc. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:10:41 PM): can I add a derivative of my name  or someting totally different? 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:11:18 PM): You can use either one as long as we create a local user. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:11:26 PM): ok here goes 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:11:56 PM): Alright, keep me posted. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:12:45 PM): ok it's done 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:13:30 PM): Alright, next we share the Music folder and give network permissions to the new user account
     1. Navigate to the Music folder in Windows Explorer
     2. Right click and choose Properties
     3. Click the Sharing tab, then choose Advanced Sharing
         a. Do Not click the button that says Share

4. Check the box next to Share this Folder
     5. Click the Permissions button and make sure that the customer’s user account is listed and has a check next to ‘Read’ under the Allow column
     6. If the customer’s user account is not listed, press the Add button, type the customer’s user name and press ok
     7. Make sure the Everyone group does not have a check next to Deny for Read
     8. Press OK, then OK again 
null (6/2/2024, 3:13:57 PM): ok here we go 
null (6/2/2024, 3:14:09 PM): let me read the info first 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:14:14 PM): Sure. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:15:08 PM): when you say customers user name I assume it's the user name I just created? 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:15:25 PM): Yes, that's correct. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:15:54 PM): Also.. do I select the top folder Itunes or drill down all the way to the music folder 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:16:24 PM): Top folder. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:16:29 PM): ok 
null (6/2/2024, 3:19:08 PM): so here is what I'm seeing for the "everyone box" 
null (6/2/2024, 3:19:40 PM): there is a check in the "Allow" read 
null (6/2/2024, 3:19:46 PM): should I leave that alone? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:20:31 PM): that's the only check mark in all three lines (6 boxes) 
null (6/2/2024, 3:20:44 PM): thought I could put a screen shot here but that doesn't work 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:21:12 PM): Let me send a file request for that screen shot. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:22:38 PM): ok so I did add the username, it shows up and has the same check mark in "allow" read... I haven't pressed OK yet. 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:23:56 PM): Allow read at least. 

null (6/2/2024, 3:24:36 PM): done 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:25:12 PM): Alright, next check for folder security permissions
     1. Click the Security tab of the Music folder properties
     2. Make sure the customer’s user account is listed and has at least Read permissions
     3. If the customer’s user account is not listed, press ‘Edit’, then ‘Add’, then type the customer’s user name and press ‘OK’
     4. While in the Music Folder properties, copy the network path. ex: \\hostname\Music.- here - go to your "sharing" tab and your network path should be right there. Just copy it and paste it into the sonos app.   
null (6/2/2024, 3:25:33 PM): ok hang tight 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:26:57 PM): Alright. 
null (6/2/2024, 3:28:21 PM): on step 4 - this one most me. where do I cope the network path to? 
null (6/2/2024, 3:28:51 PM): lost me 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:29:44 PM): For that, we go to the step where we add the music library back to the Sonos app. 
 1. Open the Sonos Controller, click ‘Manage’, then ‘Music Library Settings’, ‘Add’, then choose the third option in the list ‘Networked device (ex. NAS drive)’
     a. Paste the network path of the Music folder that we copied in the last step and press the ‘Next’ button. Do not press the Browse button
     b. Enter the customer’s username and have them enter their password then press the ‘Next’ button

2. If adding the Music Library in this way fails, submit a diagnostic and look in Anacapa for a Cifs error 
 3. If the library adds, wait 1-2 minutes then pull a diagnostic to ensure indexing is occurring without anacapa errors 

null (6/2/2024, 3:35:29 PM): clicked done and now it says updating music library 
null (6/2/2024, 3:35:41 PM): so we may have success! 
Jexer Kyle A (6/2/2024, 3:36:22 PM): Yes, let the music library index for now. Will there be anything else? 

Thanks for going to this trouble - I already have full access to NAS set up for ALL users on the network but still no joy linking library to Sonos☹️. Guess we just have to wait and hope not lying when they say will be able to link from middle of June!? Are we guessing the 15th😂

I have a NAS-based music library of 25,000 songs. The new app won’t search from the music library. This is totally worthless. I either want the old app back, or i want all 10 zones of SONOS equipment refunded.

My Sonos system has always been about playing my own NAS-based library.  I’ve taken great pains over the years to manage its metadata in a way that makes it searchable and accessible exactly the way I want.

If so, that’s a non-starter.  Beyond that, what about the general ability to access and navigate your library?  In all the screenshots I see of the new interface, I don’t see a Library tab/button/link/option anywhere.  How do you pull up your library?  And once there, does it seem to function the same way? Use your metadata the same way?

Man, I’ve been a Sonos user from the beginning...precisely because it was the best way to access MY music.  I’m really bummed if I have to scrap it all and switch to a whole new platform.😔

Confirmed, search doesn't include local/network files.

I've reverted back to the previous app. I'm a user who has a good size NAS library but also mixes it with streaming services. Including playlists that mix multiple services and my local library. These no longer functioned on the new app.

Having everything integrated was the reason I bought into the Sonos system to begin with. 

I just worry that Sonos will never bring back this functionality, newer Sonos devices will require the newer app and then it's game over.

Damn, that’s a shame. Thank you for confirming. 

I just won’t update at all until the old version becomes nonfunctional, which I’m sure will eventually happen.

Like many other longtime Sonos users, I’ve always been a little frustrated with their somewhat deaf ear to user suggestions and requests.  But I stuck with it largely because it remained the best way to use the personal library that I’ve been ripping for over 20 years. (If you’re listening, Sonos, there ARE significant things that can be done with a local library that streaming can’t replicate.)

If Sonos mostly abandons that functionality, and all of its users with NAS-based libraries, to focus on the streaming-only crowd, there’s really not much reason for me to stay with it. There are plenty of other ways to stream music- I don’t need Sonos for that. Despite a few clunky quirks, even Apple Music lets me search my music library. 

Time to research the other whole home systems to see if there’s one that’s still supporting local libraries and users like us.  

Try Blusound with BluOS app. Worlds better for NAS users.

Or check out Roon.  They finally added Folder Search.  It works with SONOS equipment, and other equipment.  I’ll never buy SONOS again after this fiasco, but my existing SONOS speakers work fine with Roon serving up my music library.