Answered

my widget disappeared on my Pixel 6 pro w/ Android 14

Userlevel 2

I had a Sonos widget on my pixel 6 pro for a long time, and today it just disappeared, no longer on the widget menu either... What happened?

icon

Best answer by micdalco 8 May 2024, 22:11

View original

42 replies

Userlevel 1

This has happened to me too on my Samsung S23. Just disappeared and not available on menu.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I contacted support and they say the new app - which I suspect you are unfortunate enough to have been force-updated to - does not have an Android widget.  Wait until you see what else has gone...

Userlevel 2

Hi,

Same for me, I installed the update today and I’m in now in a land of confusion.

Widget is gone that for sure, and home screen seems to be stuck trying to refresh!?

App is working but appears instable.

Are we supposed to do something or seat tight and wait for the next update?

Is there a way to force restart? , the option was there before in the system section but can’t find it anymore

It is an absolute nightmare, unconsistant branding (gold or black?) Widget no longer available, Volume Control unstable and difficult UX, TuneIn old and New is pure chaos :(

Userlevel 1

Well at least I know I am not the only one that has this issue after coming here.

I rely on the widget so much when I am playing music, even though it could be much better.

I really hope they fix this or replace it quickly.

Userlevel 1

I contacted support and they say the new app - which I suspect you are unfortunate enough to have been force-updated to - does not have an Android widget.  Wait until you see what else has gone...

Is it gone for good, or do they intend on adding the widget?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

They would not comment to me about it. Sonos aren't bothered about existing customers, only future ones...

Userlevel 3

They would not comment to me about it. Sonos aren't bothered about existing customers, only future ones...

There won't be any future ones if they carry on like this! 

Userlevel 3

I just uninstalled the app from my smartphone, downloaded the March update from APK Mirror website, reinstalled and the widget went back.

You must uninstall the app before the reinstallation: the direct downgrade won't work.

Make sure to disable the automatic updates in the top right three dots menu of the app play store page.

You should do this just after the manual installation.

Userlevel 2

I did it as you instructed - old app is back, as is the widget! Thanks much!! I swear that every app that I've been forced to update recently has been significantly worse than its predecessor... Is this an industry trend?

Userlevel 2

Oh, and I also turned off the "update automatically" in the app itself in settings / system / system updates 

Userlevel 3

I just uninstalled the app from my smartphone, downloaded the March update from APK Mirror website, reinstalled and the widget went back.

You must uninstall the app before the reinstallation: the direct downgrade won't work.

Make sure to disable the automatic updates in the top right three dots menu of the app play store page.

Thank you so much @micdalco  - I've done this too (including disabling auto update) and all is as it was! 

I owe you a 🍻 🙏

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the tips, I also went back to the previous version 👍

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am also very unhappy about these changes.  How can we escalate..?  And maybe it's time to abandon Sonos.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I am also very unhappy about these changes.  How can we escalate..?  And maybe it's time to abandon Sonos.  

Many people (including me) have written to ceo@sonos.com which is their “unhappy customer address” - some replies already around on the forum, mostly dismissive and making it clear this situation is pretty much intentional.

Userlevel 1

Apparently their software engineering group does not give a rat about blasting changes out to their user community.  I was happy, now I am not...  screw the new headphones they are thinking about.  NO SALE HERE.

Useless app! every time I open it, I get can’t find system, even though I already have over 11 system connected!, have to shut the app down and reopen it, very useless update!

We're in a huge beta test... Back to last version, need my widget, a clear ux, well an app that works finally...

Userlevel 1

Life saver!

@ micdalco thanks for providing the link to better interface and working app.. great stuff

Userlevel 2

I want the widget back! Why has this been eliminated???

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I want the widget back! Why has this been eliminated???

The same thing happened when the S1 → S2 switch happened. I think widgets are considered a less used capability and additional need programming that is specific to Android rather than common to all platforms. So they leave it until last.

Badge

Same here, also if you are using vanilla android as I am, there is no “themed” icon,  just a coloured circle.

As others have said, to Sonos Customers = Beta Testers,  they clearly did little or no testing on this version of the app.  Just rushed out the door before they do their new hardware announcements.

I hope they fix this quickly because I utilize widgets to control my whole house. They are essential to the whole platform. 

Thanks for sharing. I use the widget ALL the time, mostly because the app itself kinda sucks. 

Downgrade it is!

I like the Sonos products but because of these kind of software issues I haven't bought another product after my Roam and not going to convince friends/family to get anything either. (Most went to buy Bose, not a fan about the sound lol)