Answered

My Sonos doesn't play whole Album

• 17 September 2023
  • 33 replies

Hi I have several albums saved to ‘My Sonos’ which are from Amazon Music.

When I play an album, it only plays one track and does not continue to play the rest of the album.

This is basic functionality even cassette tapes could achieve in the 1980s.

Please advise how to fix this issue. Note if I search for an album in Amazon Music and play directly (do not save to My Sonos) then it does queue the rest of the album automatically.

I think a lot of customers have this issue, appreciate you fixing in the next app release.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 19 September 2023, 15:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

In My Sonos if you play from Songs, only that track will play. If you play from Albums, the whole album can play.

We each have our own idea about how a user interface ‘should’ operate. Back in 2001 when iTunes was introduced, it functioned as you prefer -- as if you are interacting with a cassette deck. I fussed with an iPod for an hour or so, did not enjoy this interaction and that is the last time that I fussed with iPod or Apple Music. In 2005 SONOS introduced a different way of user interaction and I’ve been here ever since.

Investigate the SONOS Queue concept. Using the Queue you can operate in your cassette mode or other modes that I prefer.

In My Sonos on my Apple iPhone 13 with latest IOS it doesn’t function in this way.

I access the album and play the first track, the rest do not continue to play.

In My Sonos on my Apple iPhone 13 with latest IOS it doesn’t function in this way.

I access the album and play the first track, the rest do not continue to play.

Perhaps try selecting ‘play’ or ‘shuffle’ at the top of the Album - see example screenshot taken from my iPhone S2 App.

Thanks Ken I’m aware of the play button, which is available on some albums.

Can someone from Sonos support please address this issue I have raised? Below is a sample list of albums I’ve added to ‘My Sonos’ that will not play tracks sequentially when playing a track from the album. There is no ‘play’ button available in the album either:

Big Bam Boom (Hall and Oates)

Blood on the Tracks (Bob Dylan)

Dance, Dance, Dance (Chic)

Host: The Planets (Holst)

Hysteria (Def Leppard)

Lament (Ultravox)

Off the Wall (Michael Jackson)

Purpose (Justin Bieber)

As I said in my original post above, this works fine when I play the album directly from the Sonos app Search page and locating it in Amazon Music results. 

Are the albums listed in the ‘Albums’ container on My Sonos?

What happens if you remove an album from My Sonos then search it afresh and re-add it? 

Userlevel 7

I have experienced this with Amazon Music on the album Nevermind (remastered) [explicit]

Album is in the ‘Albums’ container on My Sonos. Deleting and re-adding the album does not fix the issue.

It seems random when it will work or not, as sometimes the full album will be added to the queue, other times (such as right now) only the selected track from the album appears in the queue. Diagnostic 1946565909

The Play/Shuffle options do not appear for this album at this time under My Sonos.

edit: I also experience the issue when using SVC. “Hey Sonos, play Nevermind” will sometimes only play Smells Like Teen Spirit, but SVC will currently add the whole album to the queue.

As a quick test, I just randomly selected ‘Blood on the Tracks’ (Bob Dylan) in Amazon Music Unlimited in the Sonos App service and added it to the ‘My Sonos’ tab and it’s working fine for me in the current S2 App… it adds all the tracks to the queue when pressing ‘play’, or ‘shuffle’. I created a quick animation attached to demonstrate what I’m seeing here on an iPad controller.

Userlevel 7

No play/shuffle options here when added to My Sonos… 

I have experienced this with Amazon Music on the album Nevermind (remastered) [explicit]

Album is in the ‘Albums’ container on My Sonos. Deleting and re-adding the album does not fix the issue.

It seems random when it will work or not, as sometimes the full album will be added to the queue, other times (such as right now) only the selected track from the album appears in the queue. Diagnostic 1946565909

The Play/Shuffle options do not appear for this album at this time under My Sonos.

edit: I also experience the issue when using SVC. “Hey Sonos, play Nevermind” will sometimes only play Smells Like Teen Spirit, but SVC will currently add the whole album to the queue.

When it comes to SVC, might that depend if there is a track and album by the same name? If so maybe try the syntax “Hey Sonos, Play the album Nevermind”- which seems to work okay for me🤔?

No play/shuffle options here when added to My Sonos… 

Strange, as I see the play/shuffle buttons here, as the posted animation shows - I’m going off the saved album (shortcut) in the ‘My Sonos’ tab too🤔? I’m using an iPad controller - I’ll go try my iPhone and report back.

Userlevel 7

When it comes to SVC, might that depend if there is a track and album by the same name? If so maybe try the syntax “Hey Sonos, Play the album Nevermind”- which seems to work okay for me🤔?

There is no track called Nevermind on the album, “Hey Sonos, play Nevermind” will sometimes only play Smells Like Teen Spirit which is the first track on the album. On other days, the full album will be added to the queue and play throughout. Something is broken somewhere for when it does not work.

Its all working on my iPhone too? I just checked with the same Album as you @Mr. T - S2 App version 15.7.1 - this is what I see (attached) when opening it from the My Sonos tab on an iPhone XR.

Weird that we are each seeing a different display - can’t say I’ve noticed the issue before. Anyhow here’s a diagnostic report from the S2 system here: 124581447

Userlevel 7

Its all working on my iPhone too? I just checked with the same Album as you @Mr. T - S2 App version 15.7.1 - this is what I see (attached) when opening it from the My Sonos tab on an iPhone XR.

I’ve noticed this since the launch of SVC so covering multiple app versions since then. Using iPad Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max and an old Samsung android phone, none of them show the play/shuffle options for the aforementioned Bob Dylan album or Nevermind.

Its all working on my iPhone too? I just checked with the same Album as you @Mr. T - S2 App version 15.7.1 - this is what I see (attached) when opening it from the My Sonos tab on an iPhone XR.

I’ve noticed this since the launch of SVC so covering multiple app versions since then. Using iPad Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max and an old Samsung android phone, none of them show the play/shuffle options for the aforementioned Bob Dylan album or Nevermind.

Admittedly I use Alexa moreso than SVC. I’ve not noticed the play/shuffle buttons missing from albums, but will certainly keep an eye out for that, going forward. Also if I select the first, or any, track in the album list, in my case, it still loads the whole album to the selected room queue and begins playback from the track selected.

Also…I have to long press on a track within the Album list to get up the context menu to then play just the one track only - so there seems to be some differences as to how I have things working here in my controller Apps?

I’ve seen the “missing play and shuffle buttons” syndrome in the past on certain Amazon albums. I don’t recall whether this correlated with anything else though. I’m unable to repro just now when adding Blood On The Tracks to My Sonos. 

Just added the ‘Nevermind’ album to ‘My Sonos’, but that’s working here too.

So I’m not sure what might be causing the issue in your case @Mr. T?

Userlevel 7

I don’t know what’s causing the issue for myself and the OP either @Ken_Griffiths.

Without me doing anything, it will start working again at some point…

I’ve seen the “missing play and shuffle buttons” syndrome in the past on certain Amazon albums. I don’t recall whether this correlated with anything else though. I’m unable to repro just now when adding Blood On The Tracks to My Sonos. 

Interesting, I have many Artists/Albums on the ‘My Sonos’ tab and at random have just selected at least a dozen+ albums and not one of them has the ‘play/shuffle’ buttons missing - might it be some kind of local security feature (vpn/firewall etc.) blocking their display, perhaps?

I don’t know what’s causing the issue for myself and the OP either @Ken_Griffiths.

I’ll keep an eye out for it @Mr. T and will report back if I come across the issue too. Worth submitting a diagnostic though I think, as it may later help Staff get to the root cause, hopefully.🤞

Userlevel 7

I don’t know what’s causing the issue for myself and the OP either @Ken_Griffiths.

I’ll keep an eye out for it @Mr. T and will report back if I come across the issue too. Worth submitting a diagnostic though I think, as it may later help Staff get to the root cause, hopefully.🤞

I submitted a diagnostic earlier in the thread.

Under My Sonos > Recently Played … the play/shuffle options appear for the albums, but not under the My Sonos > Albums section.

I’ll keep an eye out for it @Mr. T and will report back if I come across the issue too. Worth submitting a diagnostic though I think, as it may later help Staff get to the root cause, hopefully.🤞

I submitted a diagnostic earlier in the thread.

Under My Sonos > Recently Played … the play/shuffle options appear for the albums, but not under the My Sonos > Albums section.

I have ‘recently played’ switched off and hidden anyway - maybe that’s related in some way?

Userlevel 7

I have ‘recently played’ switched off and hidden anyway - maybe that’s related in some way?

How did you switch it off?

If I select edit on My Sonos it says some categories cannot be deleted and Recently Played would appear to be one such category.

How did you switch it off?

If I select edit on My Sonos it says some categories cannot be deleted and Recently Played would appear to be one such category.

On first install of the App there is an option to enable, or hide recently played on the ‘My Sonos’ tab… I just chose to hide it. You might have to reset the App to do that, I’m not too sure? I’ve never chosen to use that feature ….and similarly I don’t use recent searches either, but that feature can be enabled/disabled in App Preferences.