Skip to main content

music release dates

• 15 December 2023
  • 8 replies

Are there any plans to add this info at some point in the app? None of the major music services within the sonos app display it, far as I can tell. It might be a limitation of it not being in the sonos API, but can’t that be updated? When looking at artist pages, it’s not even clear what order they are in (new to old vs old to new). 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It is not in the API (except for podcasts), and the order of items is entirely determined by the music service: Sonos never sort anything, mostly because they can’t.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Then the question is why is it not in the API? That seems like a really big oversight. And why can’t sonos sort anything if release dates are passed via API? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

PS - I have the same questions about things like artist bios, album descriptions, etc. These are also not included in the sonos API. But apparently nobody on these forums cares about this type of basic music info. Which boggles my mind, but at any rate. Yes, I can research in other music service apps, but that is punting the ball in my opinion. I wouldn’t care as much if it weren’t required to use the sonos app for atmos. As a result, I’m constantly researching and flipping between apps, which continues to be extremely annoying.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos is pretty good about adding things that enough people want. Not so good about supporting niche interests.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

PS - I have the same questions about things like artist bios, album descriptions, etc. These are also not included in the sonos API. But apparently nobody on these forums cares about this type of basic music info. Which boggles my mind, but at any rate. Yes, I can research in other music service apps, but that is punting the ball in my opinion. I wouldn’t care as much if it weren’t required to use the sonos app for atmos. As a result, I’m constantly researching and flipping between apps, which continues to be extremely annoying.  

Some of that info is included in the API, but few music services support it usefully (see getExtendedMetadata and getExtendedMetadataText). I am away from my Sonos system right now so can’t tell you how to get to the More Info page.

If you look at SonoPad (for iPad) they have integrated web searching so you can get a lot more information about artists and tracks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jhl88 

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Sonos is pretty good about adding things that enough people want. Not so good about supporting niche interests.

You consider music release dates to be a “niche interest”? This is very surprising to me. It’s displayed fairly prominently in Spotify, Apple Music, etc. See attached for some app screenshot examples. It doesn’t seem like a huge ask to me. 

Anyways, a feature request has been logged, appreciate it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe niche for Sonos users?

I sure didn’t see many posts here asking for it, although the forum search is pretty weak.