Skip to main content

Many users report that their Music Library has disappeared.  

The reason for this (in most cases) is probably due to the so-called SMBV1 file sharing protocol being removed.  Many older systems use this protocol. 

File sharing is now via SMBV2/3

Many older systems cannot be updated to use the new protocols.  Users will need to purchase new file sharing devices.

The reason for this change is based on security concerns where the smbv1 is regarded as a security risk.  This is true in so far as a system has already been breached via another external route (there have been no recorded instances of a SMBv1 impacting Sonos systems in the last decade). 

Essentially, the change which has affected so many is another ill-founded and poorly implemented characteristic of the S2 wonder update. 

Never mind, you can now listen alone to your Arc soundbar by purchasing the new $500 headphones.  It's not all bad! 

I don’t get why they did it now. Should have waited or done it well before the new app. 

I don’t get why they did it now. Should have waited or done it well before the new app. 

Somebody in a position of authority probably read some general Internet news reports and half-understood the actual issues, told some underlings to get it 'fixed', and we end up with a Lord knows how many users scratching their heads and wondering 'What happened? It worked yesterday' situation.

Par for the Sonos Update course.  Shoddy, amateurish, unthinking & panicky. 

Somebody in a position of authority probably read some general Internet news reports and half-understood the actual issues, told some underlings to get it 'fixed', and we end up with a Lord knows how many users scratching their heads and wondering 'What happened? It worked yesterday' situation.

Didn’t even need to read internet reports.  There were several longtime threads here preaching the end of the world if Sonos didn’t exorcise the evil SMB v1 from our midst.  The fact that no actual attack on Sonos due to the use of SMB v1 has ever been recorded wasn’t even a speed bump to those threads. 

Didn’t even need to read internet reports.  There were several longtime threads here preaching the end of the world if Sonos didn’t exorcise the evil SMB v1 from our midst.  The fact that no actual attack on Sonos due to the use of SMB v1 has ever been recorded wasn’t even a speed bump to those threads. 

And I have it on good authority (a dev who knows and understands what he's talking about) that if such an event happened, the higher level security breach would make any SMBv1 wobble look like a miniscule flea bite.

As they say in Germany, so much Sturm und Drang over a minor issue.  So many other issues pushed aside.

But, as we already know, it's very difficult to deprogam members of a cult. 

The app is a re-design so makes sense to do this now. But I mean it’s also like the worst possible time to do it. 

The app is a re-design so makes sense to do this now. But I mean it’s also like the worst possible time to do it. 

It should have been priority number 2024 given the issues of their own making which they are obviously struggling to fix or just forget about.  They are now in 'a fix creates new problems' territory, chasing their own tails like demented hounds. 

So how was my 83 year old Mum supposed to sort this out. 

Music from family installed USB stick in Internet router containing music files, just disappeared overnight. Also play button disappeared from Android lock screen so couldn’t even start the music is it was connected.

No a happy customer, once working fine & happy system, just stopped working overnight.

Music from family installed USB stick in Internet router containing music files, just disappeared overnight. Also play button disappeared from Android lock screen so couldn’t even start the music is it was connected.

No a happy customer, once working fine & happy system, just stopped working overnight.

If the router is capable of using SMB v2 or v3, I would switch to that.  If not, a new router is probably the only solution.  Not what you wish to hear, but the FUD spread by over-zealous security freaks, not to mention the click-bait publishing tech press, seems to have carried the day. 

If the router is capable of using SMB v2 or v3, I would switch to that.  If not, a new router is probably the only solution.  Not what you wish to hear, but the FUD spread by over-zealous security freaks, not to mention the click-bait publishing tech press, seems to have carried the day. 

I haven't tried it but but this might work (if you have skill and patience to set it up). 

Purchase and install a TP LINK Nano ac750 travel router ($40) - install on network in client mode (not router).  It has usb for memory stick.  Has smbv2. 

If Sonos haven't mangled the samba file access completely, this should work as a Music Library.  No need to change existing router, etc. 

I'd try it myself, but quite honestly, I can't just be bothered to struggle against the Sonos cult anymore. 

Good luck. 

My brother set it up based on my Sonos experience. Plugged a test usb stick into Talk Talk supplied router, fiddled with settings and could see files on his phone so all ok. So on getting this result bought 3 Sonos speakers, possibly play 1's going cheap at Xmas time before launch of new Sonos speakers.

All worked fine until a week or two ago. All gone back to John Lewis for a refund as no longer work as purchased and didnt want to spend more money or time getting a once working product working again.

Probably another SMBv1 casualty.