Skip to main content
Question

"Music Library Settings" missing

With the new app, I can’t access my music at all. According to the Sonos support pages, you add your music library by going to “Manage” and then “Music Library Settings”. But in my app, there is no Music Library Settings on that page, only Content Services.

I called Sonos support, and they told me that some people are missing that setting, and this is something they’re working on (and they couldn’t say how long that would take). But the lady I talked to didn’t really seem to know what she was talking about. I haven’t found anybody else reporting this problem. Everybody is talking about all the missing features, but nobody mentions not even being able to access your music through the app. Is somebody else experiencing this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

109 replies

SONOS DEVELOPERS DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CREATE A WELL FUNCTIONING APP TO CONTROL THE SYSTEM, OR THEY JUST DON’T CARE BECAUSE SONOS IS [PROBABLY]  HEADING TO BE A PAY FOR STREAMING A SERVICE OF THEIR OWN ACCORD.  

and it’s no coincidence that May 28 is launch date for their first branded headset. They are grooming clients to stay on for their terms, for profit, with fewer and fewer options.  They have no respect for the clients.

Like others here, I can no longer access my music library. I could yesterday, but today - not accessible on either laptop or mobile app. I’m going to try the whole system reboot tomorrow like someone above have suggested and cross my fingers that it magically reconnects. Disturbing to hear someone else above say that Sonos is planning to phase out the music library functionality completely - wtf are they thinking? I guess this is a sign of the times where the mass market is moving to streaming services like Spotify - which still appears to work fine - and Sonos just figures they’ll leave the music library people behind. If they do drop the music library functionality, then they’ve lost me and I’ll suck it up and replace my home network over time. In the interim, it’s back to CDs for me.

see my other reply to the originator of this thread… that’s wtf they are thinking. CEO Patrick Spence and the the following, should be held to liable for wilful & intended deceit … or read at best from the less emotionally angry perspective, deceit, lack of transparency, and accountability :  

• Diane Roberts, Senior Director of Software Development
  • Kate Wojogbe, Senior Director of User Experience
  • Tucker Severson, Director of Product Management
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

my library appears at the bottom sometimes, and sometimes it doesn’t. seems kind of random?

But for sure there seems to be no way to re-index. Thank goodness I still have the old controller on my PC!

Userlevel 1
Badge

How is it possible that no one from Sonos is answering all these questions?  What kind of customer care is this?

Userlevel 3

How is it possible that no one from Sonos is answering all these questions?  What kind of customer care is this?

I wonder whether we can ask Sonos to reimburse us all for the products that we cannot no longer use - as they have removed functions for music library. It’s the only reason I went with Sonos products!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Bring back the S2 app! Rename if if you must, but let us use it!

I cannot find the music library (iPad/iPhone), even though in the Sonos support information it says that it should be under ‘manage’.  I also dont see the Your Sources, only Your Services.  So annoying, but there is always something up with the Sonos App., but now they have really messed it up.  Fix it please!

Badge

I had this problem also, and I was able to implement a workaround by installing Sonos app on a windows pc, then I went into my music library folder, added the folder as a playlist (click the little down arrow on the folder > Add to Sonos Playlist), and suddenly on the mobile app, under "your sources" the "music library" option can be seen.

I dont have a windows pc.  All my music is on an iMac, and I have the Sonos app. on there too, but still no option to access the music library.  

Userlevel 1

Like others here, I can no longer access my music library. I could yesterday, but today - not accessible on either laptop or mobile app. I’m going to try the whole system reboot tomorrow like someone above have suggested and cross my fingers that it magically reconnects. Disturbing to hear someone else above say that Sonos is planning to phase out the music library functionality completely - wtf are they thinking? I guess this is a sign of the times where the mass market is moving to streaming services like Spotify - which still appears to work fine - and Sonos just figures they’ll leave the music library people behind. If they do drop the music library functionality, then they’ve lost me and I’ll suck it up and replace my home network over time. In the interim, it’s back to CDs for me.

Logged on one day and my app was updated to a wholly unsatisfying , badly formatted app that suddenly has lost access to my Music Library. Lucky I kept my 1000+ CD’s and hi-fi. I shall have to get it out of the loft and throw the Sonos gear in the bin. I can also not load the Sonos app on my App, it gets an error but does not tell me what the error is!! SO I can do nothing with that. This is not the first time - last time they upgraded their app and it was not backward compatible with the iPad app which I could nob longer update because Apple say the hardware is too old. Basically they are driving us all down the streaming route and in a way that means we have to upgrade hardware every few years. SONOS are in the pockets of all the greedy streaming services and hardware providers.

Userlevel 1

I wonder whether we can ask Sonos to reimburse us all for the products that we cannot no longer use - as they have removed functions for music library. It’s the only reason I went with Sonos products!!

Absolutely agree, My Sonos products are useless now. Reverting to old school Hifi separates. SONOS are extremely quiet on their mess up.

What is going on, no music library. Well done sonos and nobody to speak to. 

WHAT A JOKE OF A COMPANY. THANKS FOR MAKING EXPENSIVE PAPER WEIGHTS

Userlevel 1

Thought I would go to “Contact us”  and there 24x7 chat line has no operatives available - not 24x7 then is it!

Then I noticed “Contact the CEO” , so I sent the CEO an email about their new reduction in functionality.

I suggest everyone on here should do similar, as they are ignoring these posts.

To save you looking - ceo@sonos.com

Userlevel 2

my library appears at the bottom sometimes, and sometimes it doesn’t. seems kind of random?

But for sure there seems to be no way to re-index. Thank goodness I still have the old controller on my PC!

I’ve also go the controller on my PC but guess what? Under my music sources there’s no library but there is an option to “update now”. So, given I can’t see my music library do I roll the dice and update and cross my fingers that my library magically appears??? I guess I’ve got nothing to lose….

Userlevel 3

I’ve also go the controller on my PC but guess what? Under my music sources there’s no library but there is an option to “update now”. So, given I can’t see my music library do I roll the dice and update and cross my fingers that my library magically appears??? I guess I’ve got nothing to lose….

Hi I tried that and guess what it won’t see my music library. Message about permissions!!

JOKE - Still not fixed.   Useless systems now.

Userlevel 1

Me too.  My Music Library has now disappeared completely and the location setting in the windows app has removed my itunes files. If I try to put them back through manage Music Library settings I get error 913.  I did not pay Sonos a lot of money for my speakers so I could beta test their ‘upgrades’

Get this sorted Sonos and give us a firm assurance that future software changes will be properly tested before release not afterwards.

Userlevel 1

If it is true that Sonos are high handedly removing the Music LIbrary feature I will vote with my feet and never ever buy another speaker from them.

Userlevel 3

If that is true then we have a case for Sonos to buy back all the products from us as they are removing the feature that I bought them for!!

Userlevel 1

There is a fix on this forum for “error 913”

I am unable to see my NAS. I have spent about half a day checking everything. I can only conclude that the sonos app does not, no, will not allow me to connect my connect device to the NAS. The is very sad. I will not make the mistake of buying a sonos product again.

Like many others I have spent so much of my time over the years readjusting my system following upgrades and being driven slowly mad in the process. This latest one takes the biscuit though and I cannot understand how such a ‘Hitec’ company can continuously get it wrong to such a degree. My wife thinks I’m crazy, ‘messing about’ as she puts it and allowing them to raise my stress levels substantially and I’m starting to think she’s right. However, I love the system when it’s working and allowing me to access my years old collection of music.

I can only conclude that there is something extremely, seriously wrong with both their IT section and their customer service (which is pretty much non existent in its presence / response). 

Come on Sonos, wake up, act like a proper, grown up Company and sort this out!!!!!!!!!!!

All, It’s time we all placed our thoughts on a trusted review site say TrustPilot and let this company know we mean business. Just state the facts, what is affecting you and not to forget the blatant lack of response from SONOS.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I cannot find my NAS with over 400 cds on and cannot see ‘your sources’. This is making me ill. I have spent thousands on this stuff since 2007. I can no longer do what I bought the stuff for. That’s got to be a breach of contract surely?

I cannot find my NAS with over 400 cds on and cannot see ‘your sources’. This is making me ill. I have spent thousands on this stuff since 2007. I can no longer do what I bought the stuff for. That’s got to be a breach of contract surely?

If your NAS is using SMB v1, you need to switch it to SMB v2 or v3.  Sonos has dropped support for SMB v1 due to some highly publicized, yet dubious security issues that were never a threat to Sonos, but tending to security “threats” make for good PR.