Music library on Hard Drive connected by USB to a router

• 19 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi,

About a year ago I posted this: 

At the time it was stated that Sonos knew there was a problem with Music Libraries which were hosted on a drive connected by USB to a router. But there was ‘no timeframe’ for a fix.

It looks like this is still an issue. I’ve just had to set up a new router and when I’ve pointed the Sonos towards the location of the new library it’s crashed the Sonos. 

Is this being worked on?

4 replies

Sonos do not usually announce their development roadmap, but I understand some users have this working with their routers USB shared library, whilst others cannot get it to work. So my thoughts are you’re probably best to reproduce the issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

This looks like the age-old problem with library (re)indexing on a NAS that uses SMBv2/3. I’m not sure Sonos have any interest in fixing the issue. A sure-fire workaround is to switch the NAS to SMBv1 temporarily to index it, then set it back to SMBv2 afterwards. 

What router is it? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

After quite a while where the entire Sonos system was unreachable by the app (desktop or mobile) it’s now sorted itself out and to my delight it is now working with my media library on the external drive connected to the router.

Yay!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

This looks like the age-old problem with library (re)indexing on a NAS that uses SMBv2/3. I’m not sure Sonos have any interest in fixing the issue. A sure-fire workaround is to switch the NAS to SMBv1 temporarily to index it, then set it back to SMBv2 afterwards. 

What router is it? 

It’s a TP-Link Archer AX6000. So, pretty decent. Not sure it’s going to let me change the version of Samba, the config interface didn’t look like it had that level of configurability. :(