Skip to main content
Answered

music library after latest app update

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

Pres

Has ...

Hi @yellowtail, local library support has been screwy and frustrating since early May. Long story short: those first two options (My Music Folder, Another Folder) are not supported, even though they show up in the Mac desktop client and even though you can click on them. The only supported option is “Networked Device” even when the library is on your Mac.

Follow these direction to the letter …

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/share-your-macos-music-folder-with-sonos

… and then select the “Networked Device” option in the Mac desktop app.

Press250, I should have mentioned I also tried that option many times yielding no success but several different errors. However, you inspired me to try a few more times and...it is working (at least for now)! What I did differently on the last try was to share the Music folder in my user folder (~\Music) instead of the folder that has the actual media (~\Music\Music\Media\Music in Sonoma). Strangely, when I set up the file share in System Settings the user list showed something like ten “Music” users, in addition to my admin account and the Everyone user. Strange days but I will take it. Again thanks for the advice.

Posted too soon. Should have known. Went to play some music from my library and...it was gone. No longer available in iOS and no libraries listed in MacOS.

I am not going to sweat out another round of Sonos-fu trying to add the library back when it is likely to disappear anyway.

The Sonos software is a disaster.

I gave up on the Sonos App for IOS, mine did the same. Library would be there for a bit then disappear then come back then disappear. I tried Plex through Sonos app but the same happened,  and the search was totally hit and miss. I downloaded the app Sonophone and it just works. Sad that a third party can make a better, more reliable app than the OEM. 

After following Ken Griffiths advice of checking the SMB version along with other things to no avail I resigned myself to patiently wait for Sonus to rectify their awful mistake with a patch that lets me access my NAS drive music library once again. Then I came across the S1 app on playstore so I gave it a go. No it just told me a new version was available but hey whilst I'm messing about aimlessly for the 1000th hour why not give it a go. Amazing. There was my music library and it worked, although without any features apart from stop and play but at this point who cares, it works. Well it did. The next time I tried to use it all I got was the loading screen. Uninstalling and following the initial S1 route got it working again......until next time. However it loaded up to the point where I could access the settings icon and resetting booted it up to its full working glory once again. So yesterday I sat down, fingers crossed and hey everything worked perfectly and I put an album on. After the wife shouted at me for ruining her quiet afternoon playing what I considered a rather tasteful Death Metal ditty at ear bleeding volume just to relieve my Sonus induced angst I reluctantly went to turn it down. AHH the app is frozen again. TURN IT DOWN. Can't the b....dy thing isn't working again. IT'S ALL GOING IN THE BIN, I TOLD YOU NOT TO SPEND ALL THAT MONEY ON..........and for once I have to admit my wife was right.

Sonus, please get your act together and sort out this bloody mess. I wouldn't like to see what happens if the wife comes round to sort it out for you !

After following Ken Griffiths advice of checking the SMB version along with other things to no avail I resigned myself to patiently wait for Sonus to rectify their awful mistake with a patch that lets me access my NAS drive music library once again. Then I came across the S1 app on playstore so I gave it a go. No it just told me a new version was available but hey whilst I'm messing about aimlessly for the 1000th hour why not give it a go. Amazing. There was my music library and it worked, although without any features apart from stop and play but at this point who cares, it works. Well it did. The next time I tried to use it all I got was the loading screen. Uninstalling and following the initial S1 route got it working again......until next time. However it loaded up to the point where I could access the settings icon and resetting booted it up to its full working glory once again. So yesterday I sat down, fingers crossed and hey everything worked perfectly and I put an album on. After the wife shouted at me for ruining her quiet afternoon playing what I considered a rather tasteful Death Metal ditty at ear bleeding volume just to relieve my Sonus induced angst I reluctantly went to turn it down. AHH the app is frozen again. TURN IT DOWN. Can't the b....dy thing isn't working again. IT'S ALL GOING IN THE BIN, I TOLD YOU NOT TO SPEND ALL THAT MONEY ON..........and for once I have to admit my wife was right.

Sonus, please get your act together and sort out this bloody mess. I wouldn't like to see what happens if the wife comes round to sort it out for you !

Not sure if this’ll help but have you tried using the third party app SonoPhone? It hasn’t fixed my lack of music library because evidently my old NAS, which was working perfectly before the update debacle, is no longer supported (criminal), but it is a lot more stable for streaming and grouping/volume control etc.

We have all lost a lot of hours trying to get this croc of @@@@ working. When will Sonos put it right or are they uninterested in legacy systems and loyal customers?

Since the latest update, when viewing ‘Albums’ in my Music Library, albums that consist of multiple artists (e.g. compilations) appear multiple times. A compilation of tracks by 20 different artists appears 20 times in the ‘Album’ view. 

If your.music library is on a Synology NAS, the DS Audio app works well. It can send to Sonos speakers.

It can also play music on your smartphone. It has a handy sleep timer. And it's free.

20 May 2024: Bought new iMac and updated - along with MacBook Pro - to latest OS Sonoma. Updated iPad and 2 iPhones to latest IOS. Transferred local music library to new iMac. Tested Sonos. All OK on all devices. Then: updated Sonos app on all devices

DISASTER! Music library gone. Impossible to add music library using new Sonos application. Called Sonos support. Sonos support confirmed that ‘add library’ function not available. Advice = wait… it is coming.

Went on holiday.

20 July 2024. Returned from holiday. Installed latest Sonos app update on all devices. Add library still not available. Sonos website says this feature will be available ‘in July’.

OK Sonos… you’ve got 11 days and counting.

Thanks for nothing.

Very pissed off user with a heap of money invested in Sonos components.

20 May 2024: Bought new iMac and updated - along with MacBook Pro - to latest OS Sonoma. Updated iPad and 2 iPhones to latest IOS. Transferred local music library to new iMac. Tested Sonos. All OK on all devices. Then: updated Sonos app on all devices

DISASTER! Music library gone. Impossible to add music library using new Sonos application. Called Sonos support. Sonos support confirmed that ‘add library’ function not available. Advice = wait… it is coming.

Went on holiday.

20 July 2024. Returned from holiday. Installed latest Sonos app update on all devices. Add library still not available. Sonos website says this feature will be available ‘in July’.

OK Sonos… you’ve got 11 days and counting.

Thanks for nothing.

Very pissed off user with a heap of money invested in Sonos components.

My guess is you’re probably still using a HTTP library share - you need to upgrade and switch to using an SMBv2 share. Maybe the following links will assist you to resolve the issue now (today). Many others have this working already.

Hope you can’t sort it.👍

Not sure if this’ll help but have you tried using the third party app SonoPhone? It hasn’t fixed my lack of music library because evidently my old NAS, which was working perfectly before the update debacle, is no longer supported (criminal), but it is a lot more stable for streaming and grouping/volume control etc.

We have all lost a lot of hours trying to get this croc of @@@@ working. When will Sonos put it right or are they uninterested in legacy systems and loyal customers?

To GC9000 and Eeek… I purchased Sonophone several days ago in hopes of regaining my music library access (Library stored on external SSD USB drive and connected to a 2 year old iMac; SSD also new). I clicked “Open” on Sonophone and, within 15 seconds, everything worked as it did prior to updating to the App That Shall Not Be Named.” :)  To GC9000… maybe follow Sono’s - or Sonophone’s - suggestion of manually typing in the network path to your hard drive.  If that doesn’t work, a 1TB SSD is pretty affordable and worth a shot if it gets those libraries to reappear. Good luck.  (Note: Sonophone developer is releasing an update to their app in 2 - 3 weeks.)  Brad in AK

My guess is you’re probably still using a HTTP library share - you need to upgrade and switch to using an SMBv2 share. Maybe the following links will assist you to resolve the issue now (today). Many others have this working already.

Hope you can’t sort it.👍

Since Robert_80 looks to be a Mac user my guess is that he is trying to share the Music library on his iMac. Shouldn’t have to mess with SMB protocol. These links are likely not going to be helpful. I have sweated them all out with a similar system to no avail.

Hope you can’t sort it.👍

Since Robert_80 looks to be a Mac user my guess is that he is trying to share the Music library on his iMac. Shouldn’t have to mess with SMB protocol. These links are likely not going to be helpful. I have sweated them all out with a similar system to no avail.

I thought it was a new computer, does it not support SMB v2 (or higher) file sharing then? I thought every MAC PC supported the protocol these days? - I’m thinking it just needs the folder ‘read only’ permission for a ‘Sonos user’ or ‘Everyione’ to be added to the library share and the user credentials (as required) added alongside the library path in the Sonos desktop controller?

I’m not a MAC user, but I was thinking it was perhaps just a straightforward local network ‘share’  as outlined in the links?

Hope you can’t sort it.👍

I thought it was a new computer, does it not support SMB v2 (or higher) file sharing then? I thought every MAC PC supported the protocol these days? - I’m thinking it just needs the folder ‘read only’ permission for a ‘Sonos user’ or ‘Everyione’ to be added to the library share and the user credentials (as required) added alongside the library path in the Sonos desktop controller?

I’m not a MAC user, but I was thinking it was perhaps just a straightforward local network ‘share’  as outlined in the links?

First of all, I ‘really” value Ken’s knowledge and willingness to share it with us. What I found out in the Apple Community Forum is that the host device - in my case an iMac - dictates the protocol.  The persons who posted said comments also added that SMBv1 hasn’t existed in the OS software since version 10.10.xx.  I have two iMacs, a Late 2015 and a 2022.  One runs Mojave (10.14.6) and one is using, OS Ventura. Naturally, I could be wrong but thought I’d share this. I, too, manually input the network paths to the iMac that is the most important to us and, the one we use to play music in our Family Room. Sonophone found it all quickly and I now have access - via my iPhone - to play music as I used to prior to the Sonos App release. Will this work for every Mac user?  I don’t know but, like others, I tried everything that was posted in here and by Sonos short of upgrading the firmware on the speakers. I’m not gonna do that quite yet.  And, for the record, I do hope to update to a Sonos app in the near future that works for my needs.  Brad in AK.

I thought I’d throw this in the mix as a forum poster recently (yesterday) suggested that I check into Audirvana.  It’s a high-end audo app and seems to be feature rich.  Here’s a quote copied and pasted directly from their web site.  Since I have Macs, this caught my attention instantly.:

“For a more permanent addition, you can synchronize different folders containing your music from the ‘local’ menu in the settings. Audirvāna will then automatically update the library at each startup. If you are a Mac user, you can also synchronize your iTunes Music library in the same manner. Folders may be directly stored on your computer, or on an external hard drive connected via USB or a network, on a NAS for example.”

I’m still researching and not endorsing anything. Like everything else that’s suggested in here, I research it until I drive myself nutz.  Again.

Brad in AK

Hope you can’t sort it.👍

Idk but sonos support ( if you can call it that) told me after 2½ hrs on the phone with them to call apple it might be on their end lol. But i did, apple support told me they (sonos ) did an update and so it is a screw up on their side because everything worked fine before sonos just doesn’t gieve a rats x$$

I found this link below about Mac SMB shares, but I don’t see anything about changing the version of SMB that’s in use on the PC:

https://www.devicemag.com/mac-smb-share/

Although here is another link which mentions editing a file called nsmb.conf to switch the SMB version in use ~ see below link:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255197435

Thats all I could find quickly, but as mentioned earlier I’m not a MAC user. It’s certainly a lot easier to do these things on a Windows PC. Anyhow, I would maybe seek further advice before making any changes. 

I found this link below about Mac SMB shares, but I don’t see anything about changing the version of SMB that’s in use on the PC:

https://www.devicemag.com/mac-smb-share/

Although here is another link which mentions editing a file called nsmb.conf to switch the SMB version in use ~ see below link:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255197435

Thats all I could find quickly, but as mentioned earlier I’m not a MAC user. It’s certainly a lot easier to do these things on a Windows PC. Anyhow, I would maybe seek further advice before making any changes. 

I believe MacOS Sonoma supports up to version 3. The nsmb.conf file does not exist by default.

When selecting Manage → Music Library Settings and clicking the add (+) button, there are three choices. The first, My Music Folder is what most Mac users select as this (used to) add the Music folder with all of the locally stored files. Presumably the Sonos app knows the proper path. The links you posted, and that I have worked through, presumably apply to the third option in the Setup window, Networked device (ex. NAS drive). As Press250 noted, you can select this option after following all of the hints to add the shared Music folder. This worked for me but only temporarily (maybe a few days).

Sorry if this is pedantic but some clarity and repetition can sometimes be helpful on these long threads.

When selecting Manage → Music Library Settings and clicking the add (+) button, there are three choices. The first, My Music Folder is what most Mac users select as this (used to) add the Music folder with all of the locally stored files. Presumably the Sonos app knows the proper path. The links you posted, and that I have worked through, presumably apply to the third option in the Setup window, Networked device (ex. NAS drive). As Press250 noted, you can select this option after following all of the hints to add the shared Music folder. This worked for me but only temporarily (maybe a few days).

Sorry if this is pedantic but some clarity and repetition can sometimes be helpful on these long threads.

Hi @yellowtail, those first two choices are nothing but trouble: despite being selectable in the desktop app, they are not supported. Your only option is “Networked device” pointing to a folder shared with SMBv2 or v3.

Yes,, @yellowtail always go for the last (NAS) share option, as mentioned - I’m pretty sure the other two options are HTTP shares using the SonosLibrary.exe ‘service’ - those shares cannot be seen in the new Sonos App, although I understand the old desktop controller App can see those shares (they’re now considered as being insecure) - so just select the last option and add the full network path, username and password for a user that has ‘read only’ access permission to the shared library folder. If all else fails you can use the ‘Everyone’ (guest) user share (but do that only as a last resort, as it’s less secure).

Yes,, @yellowtail always go for the last (NAS) share option, as mentioned - I’m pretty sure the other two options are HTTP shares using the SonosLibrary.exe ‘service’ - those shares cannot be seen in the new Sonos App, although I understand the old desktop controller App can see those shares

Hi @Ken_Griffiths you are spot that those first two options create http shares. The v16.2 firmware released on 10 May 2024 dropped support for http (and SMBv1) shares, so even the desktop controllers don’t work. It’s unfortunate that those first two options remain in the desktop apps as they cause nothing but confusion and frustration.

Hi @Ken_Griffiths you are spot that those first two options create http shares. The v16.2 firmware released on 10 May 2024 dropped support for http (and SMBv1) shares, so even the desktop controllers don’t work. It’s unfortunate that those first two options remain in the desktop apps as they cause nothing but confusion and frustration.

I didn’t realise the http/smbv1 shares were no longer viewable via the old S2 PC/MAC desktop Apps - They have been In ‘maintenance’ mode now for some years - very little gets changed in those Apps, but I agree removing the library options might have helped, but maybe they’ve left them there for any users who perhaps have not upgraded their devices firmware in more recent times. (…the index is held on the players). 

I do personally think once the local library features become available in the new Sonos App, (adding a library, indexing etc.) that the old controllers ‘might’ fall fairly rapidly towards obsolescence. That’s just my guess, of course.

Yes,, @yellowtail always go for the last (NAS) share option, as mentioned - I’m pretty sure the other two options are HTTP shares using the SonosLibrary.exe ‘service’ - those shares cannot be seen in the new Sonos App, although I understand the old desktop controller App can see those shares (they’re now considered as being insecure) - so just select the last option and add the full network path, username and password for a user that has ‘read only’ access permission to the shared library folder. If all else fails you can use the ‘Everyone’ (guest) user share (but do that only as a last resort, as it’s less secure).

I don’t quite understand that. MacOS Sonoma (and other recent OS versions) use smb for file sharing and I am pretty sure http is not used for any services. I don’t see any http services being advertised on my local network and port 80 is not open on my Mac mini. Are you saying the Sonos desktop app tries to share the local Music folder via http? If the Sonos iOS app can’t see that share then that does not make sense (on the part of Sonos). In any case, that first choice to select the Music folder generates the infamous “913” error.

To be clear, the NAS option only worked temporarily. When I say the library disappeared I mean it was gone from the desktop Sonos app (running on the Mac with the Music library) and, of course, was dropped from the Sonos iOS app.

I don’t quite understand that. MacOS Sonoma (and other recent OS versions) use smb for file sharing and I am pretty sure http is not used for any services. I don’t see any http services being advertised on my local network and port 80 is not open on my Mac mini. Are you saying the Sonos desktop app tries to share the local Music folder via http? If the Sonos iOS app can’t see that share then that does not make sense (on the part of Sonos). In any case, that first choice to select the Music folder generates the infamous “913” error.

To be clear, the NAS option only worked temporarily. When I say the library disappeared I mean it was gone from the desktop Sonos app (running on the Mac with the Music library) and, of course, was dropped from the Sonos iOS app.

Yes, it was indeed the case originally, that the Desktop controller App setup the read only share over http when using the first two available library options and it shared them by running a service when the PC started up - for Windows it was an executable file. These things now are not working with the latest device firmware according to @press250. So the suggestion is to setup the share manually, as explained in the links and videos posted earlier.

So goto the 3rd (NAS) library share option to setup the share and add the full UNC path — you can either use the IP address of the computer, or it’s Netbios name at the start of the path and then the name of the share. Example: //I92.168.0.230/Music or //MyPCName/Music …then add the ‘user credentials’ when prompted, that you’ve setup and are in place for ‘read only’ access (permission) on the shared Music folder  (you need to do that first of course)  and if all is entered correctly you can go onto run the Sonos library index and when it’s complete it should show in the new Sonos App.

I hope that assists. The YouTube video link posted earlier seems to explain it quite well,from my own perspective, but as I say I’m not a MAC user myself, but it seems reasonably straightforward… er hopefully.🤞

I just found this post too from Sonos Staff…

It just confirms what’s been mentioned here.

I just found this post too from Sonos Staff…

Hi @Ken_Griffiths I cannot see posts in the ‘lounge’ … how does one get access?

No idea why it’s not working now @press250, it was something I saw during a search on the subject. Anyhow I’ve just searched again and here’s an almost identical/similar post/discussion and this one involves yourself this time … it’s with controlav - so hope you (and @yellowtail) can see this link. Let me know if you can’t and I’ll perhaps screenshot it.

Yes, it was indeed the case originally, that the Desktop controller App setup the read only share over http when using the first two available library options and it shared them by running a service when the PC started up - for Windows it was an executable file. These things now are not working with the latest device firmware according to @press250. So the suggestion is to setup the share manually, as explained in the links and videos posted earlier.

So goto the 3rd (NAS) library share option to setup the share and add the full UNC path — you can either use the IP address of the computer, or it’s Netbios name at the start of the path and then the name of the share. Example: //I92.168.0.230/Music or //MyPCName/Music …then add the ‘user credentials’ when prompted, that you’ve setup and are in place for ‘read only’ access (permission) on the shared Music folder  (you need to do that first of course)  and if all is entered correctly you can go onto run the Sonos library index and when it’s complete it should show in the new Sonos App.

I hope that assists. The YouTube video link posted earlier seems to explain it quite well,from my own perspective, but as I say I’m not a MAC user myself, but it seems reasonably straightforward… er hopefully.🤞

Thanks.

As I said, I tried all those steps (followed links, viewed videos, etc.) but it does not work, for me at least.