Skip to main content

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

Is it possible to start a class action lawsuit over this?

I reckon it needs to be strongly considered. Sonos has essentially taken so much functionality away from systems, that we as customers paid premium prices for and have used for years in a particular way. And to make it worse, they are not offering solutions, they are making us wait until they are able to write their new app.

I reckon it needs to be strongly considered. Sonos has essentially taken so much functionality away from systems, that we as customers paid premium prices for and have used for years in a particular way. And to make it worse, they are not offering solutions, they are making us wait until they are able to write their new app.

There is also no guarantee that their fixes in their new app will bring back all the functionality we have all been used to either. What a shambles….The more I think about it, the more frustrated I am becoming. My system is useless as it is at the moment.

There is also no guarantee that their fixes in their new app will bring back all the functionality we have all been used to either. What a shambles….The more I think about it, the more frustrated I am becoming. My system is useless as it is at the moment.

My system is next to useless now too and I don’t know what to do. My old NAS drive no longer works at all and it has worked perfectly in the old version for many many years. If I buy a new one with latest firmware will it ever work? And why should I have to go and buy new kit that’s never given me any issues?

I’m unable to stream more than three tracks from Apple Music because my system will freeze and only a router hard reset will clear it. So all I’m left with is radio which seems to work. This is definitely not what I’ve purchased into and a massive step back from S2.

I feel very let down and abandoned by Sonos right now and to add insult I’m unable to get through to speak to Sonos support, but as a company they continue to send me adverts for new kit as if nothing is wrong!

If you say you are listening to all feedback and recoding all concerns then hear this: I have been using Sonos since 2008, and relying on it to stream lossless music and TV sound to multiple rooms: it was your USP and it worked.  Your recent actions have destroyed the usefulness of my system and any remaining faith I had in you as a company (don’t get me started on “S2”). 

The use of that word “courageous”, and your responses ever since display breathtaking arrogance and contempt.  So you knew better than the people who invested in you, how we should use your system in future, did you?  We all understand when things go wrong, and we forgive.  But here nothing went wrong, you knew what you were doing, and did it anyway: and that’s what is unforgivable. 

Good luck: with that attitude to your consumers you’re going to need it.  To those who are happy now, you’ll do the same to them in due course, when their usefulness to your bottom line is exhausted and you’ve moved on (how could they be so dull as not to evolve as you see fit?).  Meanwhile, and in due course, and at my own speed, I will find a way to move on from you myself.

If you say you are listening to all feedback and recoding all concerns then hear this: I have been using Sonos since 2008, and relying on it to stream lossless music and TV sound to multiple rooms: it was your USP and it worked.  Your recent actions have destroyed the usefulness of my system and any remaining faith I had in you as a company (don’t get me started on “S2”). 

The use of that word “courageous”, and your responses ever since display breathtaking arrogance and contempt.  So you knew better than the people who invested in you, how we should use your system in future, did you?  We all understand when things go wrong, and we forgive.  But here nothing went wrong, you knew what you were doing, and did it anyway: and that’s what is unforgivable. 

Good luck: with that attitude to your consumers you’re going to need it.  To those who are happy now, you’ll do the same to them in due course, when their usefulness to your bottom line is exhausted and you’ve moved on (how could they be so dull as not to evolve as you see fit?).  Meanwhile, and in due course, and at my own speed, I will find a way to move on from you myself.

Well said, I agree 100%

I've been with Sonos, and enjoying it,  since 2007. Both my sons have Sonos systems. All of us are deeply disappointed and frustrated by the treatment Sonos have given us. 

My own Android system is using the latest software on the speakers and one controller, although I have kept V16 on the other three controllers. I have to say that, from a technical point of view,  the system is 100% solid and I am happy using V16 but horrified by the way V80 has ditched local library users. 

The arrogant way Sonos have implemented the V80 "upgrade" indicates to me that things will continue along the streaming route, which will leave me behind. And, I suspect, many of Sonos' long term users. 

I agree entirely, @argive , with your view of this mess.

John

Hi, does anyone already have found a good alternative for Sonos. I’m ready to kick the system out (despite the fact I’ve it in 6 rooms)

I have Sonos speakers in the house and my library is on my Desktop PC on Windows 11 connected to the WIFI network.

After allowing Sonos on the sharing properties of my “Musique” directory, I was able to re-index the library on the PC SOnos controller.

Since then I can play my library (20000 MP3) in all the house without issues on my Sonos equipment using Sonos app on IPAD or iphone or the PC controller.

True that the functionalities associated to the “external source” are not fantastic but still it does the trick.

I've been with Sonos, and enjoying it,  since 2007. Both my sons have Sonos systems. All of us are deeply disappointed and frustrated by the treatment Sonos have given us. 

My own Android system is using the latest software on the speakers and one controller, although I have kept V16 on the other three controllers. I have to say that, from a technical point of view,  the system is 100% solid and I am happy using V16 but horrified by the way V80 has ditched local library users. 

The arrogant way Sonos have implemented the V80 "upgrade" indicates to me that things will continue along the streaming route, which will leave me behind. And, I suspect, many of Sonos' long term users. 

I agree entirely, @argive , with your view of this mess.

John

Now I’m confused, my system has updated to S2 Ver:16.2 and I’ve lost access to my stored music files. What is the V80 upgrade dare I ask?

Hi @ChrisBeck57 , V80 is the so-called upgrade which has caused the avalanche of feedback on here. It's distinguishing features are (1) it's symbol/logo thing is black, not gold-ish as for V16 and (2) unless you exclusively listen to streamed music it will totally destroy your Sonos experience.  DO NOT UPGRADE to it unless that is your use case.

Having said that, I think you have missed the distinction between the firmware which runs on the speakers etc and the software which runs your controller app (phone or tablet), both of which are updated from time to time.

I have V16.2, (build 79052294) firmware, the latest version available, on my speakers and V16.1 (build 78151030) software on my controllers. They work fine together and my system is stable. 

I also have the May 25th issue of V80.10.08 on a tablet. The best I can say about it is that while it sort of works it is seriously crippled.  Avoid!

If you have the V16.1 and V16.2 combination running you should be in good shape.  My advice in that case is to now shut off the upgrade option in the App Store for the app itself and on your controller under Settings/System/System Updates where you can turn off the Update Automatically switch.

Trust this helps

John

Hello again @ChrisBeck57 , I've just realised that you said you had lost your library access.

If you could provide a bit of detail about where it's stored I or one of the experts on here might be able to help. If it's on a NAS my first thought would be that you've got the SMB1 issue happening. If you can switch on SMB2 or 3 on the NAS you should be OK. If you have an older NAS and can't do that, you have a problem.

Just as a matter of interest, I store both music and video libraries on my Synology NAS. It can run SMB1 through 3 and did so for a long time. Once this latest Sonos kerfuffle started I decided to turn off SMB1 on the NAS and left 2 and 3 running.  Everything was fine with Sonos but, when I tried playing a video on our smart tv (7 or 8 years old) it couldn't find them. I went into the NAS, switched SMB1 back on and the tv was happy again.  So was Sonos. So was I. 

Good luck

John

Hi all those people that are sharing the pain (of losing music libraries), has anyone (else) seen this (link below) ……. I thought “FINALLY they’ve listened and taken action”!

“The Sonos app gets another free upgrade that reintroduces fan-requested features https://www.t3.com/news/the-sonos-app-gets-another-free-upgrade-that-reintroduces-fan-requested-features  “

My hope of simply getting my music library back and functioning ‘as was’ doesn’t seem to be a ‘fan requested feature’ (according to Sonos?)

Thanks John,

Unfortunately everything auto updated on my iMac, iPad & iPhone. Curiously, on my Mac it states the controller is V16.2 (build 79052294) with a gold logo, as yours. The same for my Play 5, Beam & Connect. However, on my iPad and iPhone it says the App is Build 80.01.11-release+202450520.c129f372c. The Sonos components are as above. The logo has gone black.

My 500 GB of music was all ripped from cd’s to iTunes as Apple Lossless audio files (.m4a) and are stored on my iMac and backed up to an off board hard drive. It seems I am by no means alone, I rarely streamed music and used the Sonos app to control my 2 speakers and Connect through my hi-fi. I am at a loss why Sonos will not give us the option to download the old software until they’ve sorted this. I was quite happy with it as it was.

Thanks John,

Unfortunately everything auto updated on my iMac, iPad & iPhone. Curiously, on my Mac it states the controller is V16.2 (build 79052294) with a gold logo, as yours. The same for my Play 5, Beam & Connect. However, on my iPad and iPhone it says the App is Build 80.01.11-release+202450520.c129f372c. The Sonos components are as above. The logo has gone black.

My 500 GB of music was all ripped from cd’s to iTunes as Apple Lossless audio files (.m4a) and are stored on my iMac and backed up to an off board hard drive. It seems I am by no means alone, I rarely streamed music and used the Sonos app to control my 2 speakers and Connect through my hi-fi. I am at a loss why Sonos will not give us the option to download the old software until they’ve sorted this. I was quite happy with it as it was.

I was happy too until this debacle.

I’ve resorted to try and stream through Apple Music until things hopefully get sorted but that doesn’t work well at all, freezing after about three tracks. It takes hard resets of app and router to be able to play another three tracks!

I can use AM on my phone through Bluetooth headphones so I know it’s not my Internet or Apple! GC

I thought I’d try a fresh download of the app onto my iMac, it appears it is no longer available, only the web app. Seriously Sonos?

I thought I’d try a fresh download of the app onto my iMac, it appears it is no longer available, only the web app. Seriously Sonos?

The Mac app is only available here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

It’s never been available on the Apple App Store.

The Mac app is only available here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

It’s never been available on the Apple App Store.

Thanks, I couldn’t find it, the way things are I thought they’d removed it!

I cannot believe they broke such a basic part of the app's functionality. 

Sorry, @ChrisBeck57 , I have jumped to too many conclusions in this thread, one of them being that you were on Android (based purely on the V number). As you're in the Apple camp, I can do nothing for you as I don't go there.

It appears that both camps have their own issues here. Like Tolstoy's families in Anna Karenina, "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in it's own way."

They are all unhappy, though, when faced with Sonos software!

Good luck,

John

Hi all those people that are sharing the pain (of losing music libraries), has anyone (else) seen this (link below) ……. I thought “FINALLY they’ve listened and taken action”!

“The Sonos app gets another free upgrade that reintroduces fan-requested features https://www.t3.com/news/the-sonos-app-gets-another-free-upgrade-that-reintroduces-fan-requested-features  “

My hope of simply getting my music library back and functioning ‘as was’ doesn’t seem to be a ‘fan requested feature’ (according to Sonos?)

But they have not. That article is nonsense, probably paid for by Sonos. Updated both desktop and mobile apps today, nothing, zilch, nada. Ih and now my desktop app won’t read my library. These people are grossly incompetent. 

But they have not. That article is nonsense, probably paid for by Sonos. Updated both desktop and mobile apps today, nothing, zilch, nada. Ih and now my desktop app won’t read my library. These people are grossly incompetent. 

If your existing library is on a SMBv1 only device (old NAS, old router with usb memory stick, or out-of*date PC) then you'll never see your library again. You need a file store which has smbv2/3 protocols installed. Newer routers & NAS devices should be compatible. 

If your existing library is on a SMBv1 only device (old NAS, old router with usb memory stick, or out-of*date PC) then you'll never see your library again. You need a file store which has smbv2/3 protocols installed. Newer routers & NAS devices should be compatible. 

That’s not the issue, it worked yesterday for fk sake. Now nothing. Im selling everything and never buying this overpriced crap again. 

That’s not the issue, it worked yesterday for fk sake. Now nothing. Im selling everything and never buying this overpriced crap again. 

So, did you update anything. Where are your music files located? 

Unfortunately it seems Sonos has forgotten what their point of difference was at the start. They used to focus on a quality product and quality sound and they refused to follow the trends. Unfortunately the world works like this now, once a company has a good product and a bit of a following, they forget about their customers and they start doing exactly what the competition does, then it becomes all about investors and the dollars and cents and the customers start to suffer.